Would you prefer the 80 in Diesel or Gas? (1 Viewer)

Gas or Diesel?

• Gas

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Diesel

Votes: 92 88.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All.

Toyota stopped importing Diesel and Standard Transmission Land Cruiser's to North American in 1989.
The 80 and 100 series have only ever been available in a Auto and Gas in North America.
I have been recently thinking wondering something.
Who would want a Diesel and Standard transmission option if made available (it is to late now - But if it had been)?

What I am wondering is how big of market is Toyota leaving out here?

I for one would want a Standard transmission and diesel.

Thanks,
Nick

I also would prefer a standard and diesel. We need to remember, though, that for the most part we don't buy new trucks, and for the most part we are the lunatic fringe.

Diesel - oh yeah, standard - mucho preffered

diesel and day of the week

Diesel and manual for me that's fo show.

Does this poll belong on such a site?-better suited to a place less populated by lunatics of the Land Cruiser sort.

Diesel: "If you are not with us you are against us"....

Nick,

This poll doesn't mean crap to Toyota. If you add up all the current model LCs that have lunatics that are into them it wouldn't make up squat to the entire amount sold. Toyota has very good marketing people. We, as niche vehicle owners, may not agree with their analysis but do they sell every Toyota FS in the US every year? YEP! If they didn't then I'd say they didn't do their homework. Things like the current 7X series diesels are something a lot of us would like, but when it comes to dropping $45-55k on a bare bones diesel untility vehicle many of us are no longer in the market. Toyota's market is for new vehicles. Not what some crazy derranged 4wheel drive enthusiast is going to want 5 years down the road.

Diesel of the 6bt size and manual, size and power wise! Toyota really does not care if we want a diesel or not, how about a pole for that?

ginericfj80 said:
Nick,

This poll doesn't mean crap to Toyota. If you add up all the current model LCs that have lunatics that are into them it wouldn't make up squat to the entire amount sold. Toyota has very good marketing people. We, as niche vehicle owners, may not agree with their analysis but do they sell every Toyota FS in the US every year? YEP! If they didn't then I'd say they didn't do their homework. Things like the current 7X series diesels are something a lot of us would like, but when it comes to dropping $45-55k on a bare bones diesel utility vehicle many of us are no longer in the market. Toyota's market is for new vehicles. Not what some crazy deranged 4wheel drive enthusiast is going to want 5 years down the road.

I must say I agree - especially with your last sentence.
However I do honestly think that a diesel engine would sell. I know it would not make up 80% of the sales as the current results of the polls suggest. But I could honestly see 7-10% of sales with a diesel if introduced.

I live in Canada and diesel is everywhere at almost every fuel station. Many, many of the trucks in my area are diesel. Dare I say 50% of new trucks on the road. A good friend of mine works at the local GM dealer. They sell more new diesels than gas trucks. And in Canada its a $9000 CND option for the Durmax/Allison option.

Now given a truck is much more of a tow vechicle/work vehicle, and the LC is a SUV, which would be comparing apples to oranges in a sense. However, even given that, in Canada I would be suprised if the sales were not in the 7-8% area. Especially given rising fuel costs.

Now maybe in the US they would not sell so well. I am not sure.
I am sure Toyota has "done the numbers" and they don't think a diesel cruiser will go (or it would go, but its not worth their time). Some how, I think they just don't want to be bothered.

Cheers,
Nick

I also have it on VERY good authority that Toyota will be bringing a diesel engine option back into Canada with there new full size truck (the one replacing the Tundra). As I understand it they are already in BC being tested and checking emissions. Kinda making sure it passes before starting production.

Now since this is in the full size truck I don't know if they will make the engine available to the Sequoia or LC or Tacoma. But it would be nice to dream. It does make sense that Toyota would want a diesel for the large truck market if they want compete with GM, Ford, and Dodge in the full size category. Given the amount of diesel sales in this category a diesel option is virtually a must have for Toyota.

I would personally like to see toyota offer a diesel option on ALL of their cars and trucks.
Is this unrealistic? Well maybe and probably.

I know truck people would want diesel just for the fuel savings and extra torque. And car people for the millage also. Look how well the diesel VW's do. Toyota quality is on par with VW (I think VW has gone downhill, and Toyota is better now). But people still buy TDI vw's for their millage. Anyways, end of rant. Toyota may never bring back the diesel to North America and I just have to suck it up.

Last edited:
pointless as it is...a diesel 80 would be pretty kewl.

IMO any off road truck is better off diesel. The mileage you'll get translated into the range of the truck compared to gas is astounding. I just sold a Turbo D H1 and that truck got amazing mileage off road. There's so much torque at low RPMs that it just sips fuel while wheeling. The gas Hummers couldn't go anywhere because they could not hold enough gas. I'd do dirty things to fat chicks to have a turbo diesel landcruiser.:)

Diesel, diesel, then diesel...in that order.

I'll take my diesel in the small variety. I want the mileage gain. No reason a good 4 cyl turbo diesel shouldn't outperform an FJ, and still get mid 20's. The big three are in a diesel HP and Torque race. Great if you haul horses or cars for a living. - They're big in OK for the horses - and I think its a status symbol too. I'd rather see a Tundra with a smaller (3.0L) turbo diesel that gets high 20's. The gas mileage on the Liberty is a joke - foriegn Troopers with a 4cyl turbo diesel get 30!!! That's a bigger vehicle than the Liberty, but they had to put a big (relative to the liberty's size) engine in it and make it out torque even their V-8's. Guess it's what someone wants, just not me.

Oh, and I want a 2.0L Turbo Diesel in a Sienna in 5 years when we're on child #2 or #3.

disel for sure but I think I would stick with an auto

Walking Eagle said:
I'll take my diesel in the small variety. I want the mileage gain. No reason a good 4 cyl turbo diesel shouldn't outperform an FJ, and still get mid 20's. The big three are in a diesel HP and Torque race. Great if you haul horses or cars for a living. - They're big in OK for the horses - and I think its a status symbol too. I'd rather see a Tundra with a smaller (3.0L) turbo diesel that gets high 20's. The gas mileage on the Liberty is a joke - foriegn Troopers with a 4cyl turbo diesel get 30!!! That's a bigger vehicle than the Liberty, but they had to put a big (relative to the liberty's size) engine in it and make it out torque even their V-8's. Guess it's what someone wants, just not me.

Oh, and I want a 2.0L Turbo Diesel in a Sienna in 5 years when we're on child #2 or #3.

I like your style :D Agreed about the Liberty-just wish Toyota would have caught up by now, as far as I know, they can;t hardly keep the deisel Liberties on the lots, same with the Deisel bugs/VWs. Sounds to me as if there is more a market for deisel than Toyota may think-or we may think for that matter. Flat out people are beginning to catch on everywhere-I can't go around town in my BJ w/o someone asking if it is deisel-even some chicks, I would have otherwise wrote off as mechanically ignorant, pose the question. Where did I get it? When did Toyota put those into the States? Do they still?

I previously agreed with genericfj80, but after some thought, sleep and pondering nickw's post-I propose that it may be WELL worth Toyota's efforts to offer a smaller deisel in the states-even in passenger vehicles. A hybrid deisel...Whoah!

I love my 3B-an AXT or Toy Turbo would be nice-but ya can't beat 21-23 mi/US gal. Its a dog as is, but LOVE it off-road.

Are you stating that the Troopers get 30 mi/US gal or imperial gallon???

Last edited:
fj803fe said:
Are you stating that the Troopers get 30 mi/US gal or imperial gallon???

Don't know, it was in an austrialian mag I think... could have been British. It was about the same as 5 cyl Touraug TDI.

I'd kill for an I6 turbodiesel making about 400ftlbs (or more:D ), and a nice 6 speed to go with it. With the correct gearing it could just lope along the highway and break into the 20's mileage wise. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom