Would you prefer the 100 in Diesel or Gas? (1 Viewer)

Diesel or Gas?

• Gas

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Diesel

Votes: 47 79.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All.

Toyota stopped importing Diesel and Standard Transmission Land Cruiser's to North American in 1989.
The 80 and 100 series have only ever been available in a Auto and Gas in North America.
I have been recently thinking wondering something.
Who would want a Diesel and Standard transmission option if made available?

What I am wondering is how big of market is Toyota leaving out here?

I for one would want a Standard transmission and diesel.

Thanks,
Nick

Turbo Diesel, Automatic, 3 locking diffs, an MB Tex like interior (fancy vinyl), front and rear climate controls, factory winch, wash out cargo area, sunroof, heated seats on first and second rows, TRAC, VSC.

That should about do it.

uzj100

uzj100 said:
Turbo Diesel, Automatic, 3 locking diffs, an MB Tex like interior (fancy vinyl), front and rear climate controls, factory winch, wash out cargo area, sunroof, heated seats on first and second rows, TRAC, VSC.

That should about do it.

uzj100

Yes please. :)
Actually I would want it in a Standard, but I could live with Auto.
Diesel is the one I want more.
But a Standard is a close second

Gas. Manual.

Manual anything for me, then subtank, then TD.

I'm gonna say GAS mainly because just about every fuel station carries gas. They don't all carry diesel. But make mine a factory turbo Gas engine please. As for the tranny, I'd like a manual only because I want more power. Otherwise, the auto is fine.

Mine is TD and manual ;). There is lots of them here in Europe. There is no unleaded fuel in all remote places in Africa (unleaded is available only in major cities), so here TD is a must for travelling.

Regards

Samo

SamoL said:
Mine is TD and manual ;). There is lots of them here in Europe. There is no unleaded fuel in all remote places in Africa (unleaded is available only in major cities), so here TD is a must for travelling.

Regards

Samo

I would love to have your cruiser. :D

Toyota isn't missing out in the US market, you don't think they analyze their markets? How many people on this forum bought their 100 series new? Let's start with that segment of the population.

Toyota would have weighed the demand (or lack of) for diesel engines vs. the cost of offering two powerplants, carry parts for two drivetrains, service two drivetrains, train technicians on two drivetrains. The Land Cruiser is such a tiny market for Toyota and the demand for diesel ones so low that it didn't make much sense.

This paradigm may change in the future, yesterday Goldman Sach's analysts announce that they don't expect the demand of crude oil to slow down or the supply to increase significantly during the next few years. That means that the price of gasoline will likely go up again in the spring and stay hi. Then Bill Gates announced yesterday he's investing $90MM in the development of ethanol, another indicator that the price of fuel will likely continue a slow rise.

At some point, some of the very smart bean-counters employed by Toyota will produce numbers that support the introduction of some of Toyota's highly efficient diesel powerplants. I doubt the Land Cruiser would be one of those equipped with a diesel, as anyone able to purchase a nearly $70K vehicle brand new isn't worried about the gallon of fuel going up a buck or even two.

Rick D was working on getting dsl solid axle 100's in the US, they were pretty bare bones(pretty much NATO spec) if they didn't need work to pass emmsions/DOT ect(and they did I think) you were looking at $40K+ for a brand new dsl 100 solid axle with a warantee that was worthless in the US........just doesn't/didn't make sense to me. I kinda remember that to make em legal would have been around 70K each unit......

In a perfect world a nice TD with a tranny that could take the torque (think Duramax + Allison). But couldn't afford it anyway...so gas is just fine thank you:)

I have had both and yes the turbo diesel is a nice wagon and they drive and in particular tow extremely well but here they cost about 11k more than a V8 petrol and cost more to service plus fuel is about 10 to 15 cents a litre dearer. I could never figure out why the TD costs 11K more as in the UK they are 1500 pound cheaper than the V8. Overlander magazine done a comparison on the running costs of both TD and V8 and concluded that to recoup your 11K in fuel costs you would have to cover nearly 400,000 kilometers.
If you buy a V6 Prado or a 3 litre TD they are the same price. I just bought a new LC 100 and got the V8 auto again.

Tonym said:
would have to cover nearly 400,000 kilometers.

You mean this one that states 160,000kms?

39909117.scan0012.jpg

I would love to have the 100 series with 1HD-FTE engine. 24 vavle.turbo diesel, with intercooler, and has 205hp! :)

Exiled said:
Toyota isn't missing out in the US market, you don't think they analyze their markets? How many people on this forum bought their 100 series new? Let's start with that segment of the population.

Toyota would have weighed the demand (or lack of) for diesel engines vs. the cost of offering two powerplants, carry parts for two drivetrains, service two drivetrains, train technicians on two drivetrains. The Land Cruiser is such a tiny market for Toyota and the demand for diesel ones so low that it didn't make much sense.

This paradigm may change in the future, yesterday Goldman Sach's analysts announce that they don't expect the demand of crude oil to slow down or the supply to increase significantly during the next few years. That means that the price of gasoline will likely go up again in the spring and stay hi. Then Bill Gates announced yesterday he's investing $90MM in the development of ethanol, another indicator that the price of fuel will likely continue a slow rise.

At some point, some of the very smart bean-counters employed by Toyota will produce numbers that support the introduction of some of Toyota's highly efficient diesel powerplants. I doubt the Land Cruiser would be one of those equipped with a diesel, as anyone able to purchase a nearly $70K vehicle brand new isn't worried about the gallon of fuel going up a buck or even two.

Unfortunately, the way things are going now, I would be surprised to see a diesel LC, but not surprised to see a North America-only hybrid gasoline LC. As an aside, I read an article on the rumored, future LS430 replacement, and its smaller-than-2UZ V8 (4.6L?) is supposed to put out well over 300 horses w/ V12 torque.

I think part of this is that people want what they can't have. I see this all the time in the US. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes. If Toyota ever brought a diesel here, it might sell a few in the beginning, but I doubt if it would ever pick up enough to be profitable.

I don't see what the big deal about diesel engines are anyways. I don't see how any of you are unhappy with the V8. It has more hp and around the same torque as the diesel, its cheaper to purchase initially and the fuel savings for diesel is marginal at best. I just don't see enough benefit to justify the extra cost. If there is more to it, please convince me, I'm all ears.

Ocelot said:
You mean this one that states 160,000kms?

39909117.scan0012.jpg

No that is not the article I read. If you work out 160,000 kms at 11 liters per 100 at 10 cpl I dont think adds up to $12000K. the one I read took in to account the purchace price (Recomended Retail) and the total running costs (sheduled services). Any rate it is all good to say these things on paper but it seldom works out that way in the real world. Every one has their own reasons for buying what they have. I have had both TD and V8 and to be honest it does not matter what it costs to run it as the biggest expence is when you trade it or sell it and lose 50% of your purchace price (or more) in a 3 or 4 year period.

My GXL turbo diesel auto is just the best, 1100klm to the tank full and heaps of grunt. my old 80 series TD was brilliant but the 100s is a lot more comfortable to drive on the long trips. the cost to run a v8 must be huge, we are paying around $1.38au a litre here now for diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom