Would you pay $136,000 for an 80 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This question is irrelevant, as stated if you have deep pockets,
I don’t so it’s a hard no!

You ever hear about the Ferrari 250 GTO clones? A cruiser would be stupid easy to do😉🤔

F NO!

As an investment, I would invest this type of money into it. My question is why did the original owner allow it to roll to a 1,000 miles? It seems it would be worth more if it had less than 1k on it. This is a classic type of car to invest in because these were cars that were bought to be driven and beat up - and most were. There are probably not many examples left in this condition. As SUVs overtake the larger market in popularity their collectability is going to do the same. I, like most here, would have to knock the decimal over a two or three places to the left to put it in my budget.

IMHO it's not that good of an investment. Better off putting that kind of money into about anything else (Stocks, mutual funds, IRA, etc). There are mutual funds that return 15-20% every year. So will that 80 be worth $250,000 in five years? Maybe in 20 years, but by then that same amount in a mutual fund earning 15-20% per year could be worth somewhere between 2 and 4 million dollars!!

Having said that, an all-electric Tesla-level turn-key conversion could cost upwards of 100k but at least you'd get new tech out of the deal.

I agree with the "deep pockets" crowd. If you can afford it, why not and bless the person who bought it. I was more impressed with the mileage and condition. Could you rebuild one frame up on a restoration for that price? I am sure you could but, it is not the same. Also agree on the color, if it were white :hmm:.

Meh. I mean I get it if your goal is to win the mileage dick measuring contest, but beyond that what do you really have here? A 27 year old NE truck, already bitten by rust that will need thousands and thousands of dollars of work to account for all the sitting. I'd rather start with the cleanest higher mileage southern truck I can find, like my own, and just dump $50k worth of OEM parts into it.

Meh. I mean I get it if your goal is to win the mileage dick measuring contest, but beyond that what do you really have here? A 27 year old NE truck, already bitten by rust that will need thousands and thousands of dollars of work to account for all the sitting. I'd rather start with the cleanest higher mileage southern truck I can find, like my own, and just dump $50k worth of OEM parts into it.
A thousand miles.
Pretty short dickstance compared to all of us probably.

This truck belongs in a museum (assuming it's legit 1Kmi). At this point it can't be used. Otherwise, every mile added to it drops it's value on the level of 'nauseating'.
Plus @$136k, a 'new 80' is called a G-wagon.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay that much for it because I wouldn't want to play with it. It's a museum piece and all it would do is sit in the garage.

I'd rather get the following:

1) https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1987/toyota/land_cruiser/101455146 and...
2) https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1986/toyota/land_cruiser/101496129 and...
3) 60k for a later 200-series and...
4) Thousands of dollars to replace my cheap tools with good-quality ones and...
5) Truck guns. One for every vehicle.

I would if I could. Happy someone will keep it as preserved as it is!

A thousand miles.
Pretty short dickstance compared to all of us probably.

This truck belongs in a museum (assuming it's legit 1Kmi). At this point it can't be used. Otherwise, every mile added to it drops it's value on the level of 'nauseating'.
Plus @$136k, a 'new 80' is called a G-wagon.

Yup.

I had an absolutely mint 1966 Nissan Patrol once. I bought it from the original owners widow when he passed away at 94yrs old. He collected VW’s and Datsuns, he had the first Datsun sold in the USA. The Patrol had 40,000 original miles and was documented back to six months before his purchase in 1966. Always garaged and loved for decades. Even had the original tubes, tires, hub caps and split wheels. It came with all that including pictures back to pickup at the dealership and much more. It to this day was the most original and well documented truck I have ever owned.

I put about 700 miles on it and had to sell it. I just couldn’t bring myself to put more miles on it but it was sooooooo much fun to drive! A catch 22 for sure. It was also that truck that educated me in the fact that I don’t want to own trucks like this. I want to use them not look at them.

Different strokes for different folks though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

I had an absolutely mint 1966 Nissan Patrol once...I put about 700 miles on it and had to sell it. It was also that truck that educated me in the fact that I don’t want to own trucks like this. I want to use them not look at them.
The truck in my avatar is the exact same. Perfect '93 Deluxe V6 5-spd x-tra cab pickup. Embarrassingly low miles, tight 'n right. Still had the barcoded paper label on the bed behind the license plate in perfect, scanner-readable condition.
Needed a trail rig tho. And that truck was not it.
Lost $3k on the resale early 2018. :bang: But I know it went to a collector so I've come to grips with it.

edit:yes, it had the digital clock :bang: :bang:

Paid 8k for my triple locked 80, and wouldn't pay a penny more. So low of miles on a 27 year old vehicle... not a good thing, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom