Would you install this radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ordered a new radiator from toyotapartsdeal, it arrived with a damaged box and a dent in the bottom tank. TPD is offering a partial refund if I keep it. Would you take the discount and run it or spend the time to wait on a another new one?

IMG_3861 (1).jpeg

Can you pressure test it? I wonder if enough water pressure would pop that out any assuming it holds pressure. Since it looks like the bottom…depending on the discount… eh, I’d probably wait on a new one but it’s a close toss up.

I got one just like it from city racer "double boxed" . They're NOS, I guess? Just be happy you can still buy one. Mine doesn't leak and it has a dent just like my 40 does. ;)

Yours is on the bottom where it won't even be seen. Mine is on top, right side in the pic.

i-sLZtvmL-L.jpg

Works fine.

FWIW: Years ago I bought a 16400-49356 radiator from "Toyota Parts Deals". The first one they sent was packaged so poor that many of the radiator fins were crushed and inlet bent. The second one they sent, same thing, crushed fins, bent connectors as well as a DAMAGED return slip from a guy in Ohio....I scanned that letter in and emailed it to their Customer Service department. I quickly received a full refund and credit for my troubles.

Contact City Racer @Racer65 for an OEM unit. From what I hear, he checks them before he ships them out.

Note, I have two OEM units 16400-49356 sitting on my shelf. Both leaked in the corners, but passed a pressure test at a radiator shop. You are more than welcome to have one and get it checked out again.

As for the radiator I have in my rig and hasn't had any issues (knock on wood) in the past 19 months, is a CSF 2888.

Eh, it's not that bad of a dent. Find a friend with a spot weld dent puller and a slide hammer. It'll probably pop back pretty easily.

I might take that to my local radiator guy, ask what it would cost to drop that pan, massage it straight and re-solder it back. Make it perfect again. Written estimate if possible.
Add in your time and trouble.
Inform seller of cost to make you happy.
If they say no, roll the dice and have them send you another. Do you have a lot of time?
If yes, make it perfect locally or run as is, your choice.

1. Given the shape I've had radiators show up in after shipping you actually made out pretty good. 2. I would pressure test it before install (as I would any new one, dented or not) but I would not have it worked on--once you do that you own it forever, no recourse at all. If it passes the pressure test beat the discount hell out of the seller and run it 'till death do you part.

Bought one yesterday from my dealer. Showed up today with no damage or shipping cost. Weird!

E8A3F341-90CB-4577-ABCC-74972479F5C1.jpeg

71B7F776-FC55-422C-B71B-8D0E8F87C8F7.jpeg

I bought one last year, used https://parts.toyota.com to compare discounts between dealers and ordered from one of them.

Dunno why they can offer different discounts, dunno why my local dealer always has a higher price than any other, and doesn't allow local pickup. But, everything I've ordered so far has showed up well packed and undamaged. Including the radiator. It was not quick.

Bought one yesterday from my dealer. Showed up today with no damage or shipping cost. Weird!
Looks like yours was packaged the same as mine. Wish I wasn't unlucky!

I started to order a CST 2888 per @GA Architect recommendation. Ended up with some time on Sunday (hard to find with small kids) and decided if the Toyota radiator pressure tested I would install it. I pressurized it, could not find any leaks with soapy water and dropped it with all new hoses and a flush of the engine.

Working fine and according to the gauge the engine is running 2 needle widths cooler ;)

I bought one last year, used Toyota Parts and Accessories - Official Online Store - https://parts.toyota.com to compare discounts between dealers and ordered from one of them.

Dunno why they can offer different discounts, dunno why my local dealer always has a higher price than any other, and doesn't allow local pickup. But, everything I've ordered so far has showed up well packed and undamaged. Including the radiator. It was not quick.
They should allow local pickup. They likely don’t so they don’t eat the shipping cost.
I went to my local Toyota with a parts list printed from their website and was told they cannot match the prices in store; I have to order online. He said Toyota subsidizes the difference to the dealer and the discount amounts (or store list price) are location based. In your case: Port Orchard= off I5 corridor and ferry/tolls involved= higher destination costs= higher prices. I often feel I’d rather talk to someone and make sure I’m getting the right stuff, but anymore I don’t think most of the parts counter guys have a clue what they are even selling. Therefore, I search mud and online parts diagrams for the right part number, then order from “parts.myclosestlocaltoyota.com” and go pick it up 2-4 days later. More expensive parts I’ll search for the best discount and free shipping.
Hijack over.

Ordered a new OEM 2F radiator from City Racer. Roger does a wonderful job of packing it up. It arrived in the original Toyota box which was inside another box. FYI: the 2F radiator fits our 1F 1970.

10.12.2022.New OEM Radiator.jpg

I would so sooner run a non-OEM than a damaged one; not saying that good OEM ones can't be found. I once soldered shut a break on a '73 radiator with electrical, inner fluxed, because it had a break, not far from the shipping fold pictured on the brand-new one in the initial post. Who knows how well it will hold up to heat cycling, etc. Plus, the analog meter on the combination cluster will give you a good sense of whether or not a generic radiator is working or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom