Would you Employ this Fool?

Onur

Moderator
GOLD Star
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
27,105
Location
NY, USA
 
 
 
Jonathan:

A couple of suggestions about your resume (these suggestions are also dependent upon what type of job/position you are intending to apply for):

1. Put your education in chronological order starting with the most recent educational institution/program that you are currently working in/on. GO backwards from there.

2. I'm not sure possible employers are interested in your recreational activities. They might be, but I highly doubt it (again, based onmy disclaimer above). I'd get rid of it.

3. The educational stuff you have--if they are incomplete, suggest a tentative date of completion for those programs.

4. Get rid of the 'regards' stuff at the bottom.

5. Since your work experience is limited, I would expand the educational section with some details of coursework, specific professors you worked with, or explanation of degree of difficulty of the program of study--remember--you are trying to build credibility and ethos with your resume--succinctly and discretely.

6. Not sure you want to be posting all of your rather personal information on MUD :flipoff2: I mean, I assume we all think that everyone is on the up and up here, but really, you never know.

Good luck and best regards.
-onur
Akron, OH

ps: Would I hire you? Naaaah... :doh: :flipoff2:
 
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
4,495
Are you looking for a job or just posting it for fun? You might consider adding your age, and anything else you did before the year 2000 (school and/or work).


edit, what he said above
 

wob

Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Messages
2,598
Location
SC
 
I would definitely toss this resume in the trash. Don't think any employers are interested in your favorite websites. But, at least you didn't list any porn sites!
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
1,220
Location
Queensland and California
 
wob said:
I would definitely toss this resume in the trash. Don't think any employers are interested in your favorite websites. But, at least you didn't list any porn sites!

I agree about not listing favorite websites. Even though everybody surfs the web at work on the boss' dime, you don't want to put the image of it in his head.

David
 

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
950
Location
Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
 
 
 
beno said:
Jonathan:

A couple of suggestions about your resume (these suggestions are also dependent upon what type of job/position you are intending to apply for):

1. Put your education in chronological order starting with the most recent educational institution/program that you are currently working in/on. GO backwards from there.

2. I'm not sure possible employers are interested in your recreational activities. They might be, but I highly doubt it (again, based onmy disclaimer above). I'd get rid of it.

3. The educational stuff you have--if they are incomplete, suggest a tentative date of completion for those programs.

4. Get rid of the 'regards' stuff at the bottom.

5. Since your work experience is limited, I would expand the educational section with some details of coursework, specific professors you worked with, or explanation of degree of difficulty of the program of study--remember--you are trying to build credibility and ethos with your resume--succinctly and discretely.

6. Not sure you want to be posting all of your rather personal information on MUD :flipoff2: I mean, I assume we all think that everyone is on the up and up here, but really, you never know.

Good luck and best regards.
-onur
Akron, OH

ps: Would I hire you? Naaaah... :doh: :flipoff2:
That's very interesting, when at Secondary College and TAFE, they've all suggested an Interests/Hobbies Section. :idea: For the past few weeks, and for the next few months, I go to Employment Futures for Training and Employment Assistance, where Jennifer Neaves has really emphasised for me to have a Recreational Section. :flamingo:
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
183
Location
Metuchen, NJ
 
If you are over 30 I would list experience first.

As far as context and headers my suggestion would be:

Name

Experience

Education

Additional Experience

Skills

Contact Info

ps way too much personal info for the web IMO
 

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
950
Location
Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
 
 
 
OZCAL said:
I agree about not listing favorite websites. Even though everybody surfs the web at work on the boss' dime, you don't want to put the image of it in his head.

David
I highly doubt I'd get a Desk Job, unless I went back to TAFE to complete the Advanced Diploma in Computer Systems Engineering. - Which is also unlikely.

If I get the chance to get a Medium Rigid Truck License before the 16th of June, I will. Otherwise, I can get a Heavy Rigid Truck License after the 16th of June. :)
 

denis

(O) toyota nut (O)
SILVER Star
Joined
Nov 11, 2002
Messages
1,152
Location
buried in a pile of yota projects
 
 
 
 
also, you resume is supposed to look attractive, you've got to catch the attention, and interest of whoever is reviewing them. then elaborate on whatever experience or education is relevant to the position you're applying for. what have you been doing since 2003 ?
 

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
950
Location
Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
 
 
 
denis said:
also, you resume is supposed to look attractive, you've got to catch the attention, and interest of whoever is reviewing them. then elaborate on whatever experience or education is relevant to the position you're applying for. what have you been doing since 2003 ?
Nothing, I've wanted to do short Courses at TAFE(Introduction to Java Server Pages, and Certificate II in Australian Land Conservation and Restoration), but they don't get enough enrollments for the Course to go ahead. :crybaby:
 
Joined
May 21, 2003
Messages
1,164
Location
Here....mostly.
 
Honestly....no. If all I had was THAT resume.

It needs a lot of work. Beno has brought up some good points, but one that you're really missing is STYLE. You need to make it look nice, and attractive to the viewer. It looks like you spent less than 10 minutes on it, and you don't want to send that message across. It is totally acceptable to add a Rec. section, but be wise in what you choose. Don't put websites...no one is that interested in your interests to look...and you may be seen as one to abuse company privilages on the web. Expound on the course work and employmet you've had and any relevant skills you've attained.

Remember...you should never have just 1 resume. I always had 2-3 configurations depending on what areas I wanted to highlight....and you always tweak the final copy for each perspective employer.

Good luck
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
53
Location
Harvard, IL USA
Jonathan_Ferguson said:
That's very interesting, when at Secondary College and TAFE, they've all suggested an Interests/Hobbies Section. :idea: For the past few weeks, and for the next few months, I go to Employment Futures for Training and Employment Assistance, where Jennifer Neaves has really emphasised for me to have a Recreational Section. :flamingo:

This is a difference in culture I believe. You are from Australia, which most likely adheres to the european/british school of resume (or Curriculum Vitae) writing.

Americans write resumes differently. WHen I began applying for jobs in Europe a few years ago, I had a professional resume writer tell me that writing them for jobs in the US and jobs in europe is almost like learning another language.

You might be better served by running this past someone who is used to the particularities of resume writing in Australia, as we yanks do everything ass backwards from the rest of the world.

Steve
 

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
6,215
Location
uhhhh...duh...Northern CA
 
 
 
Excellent point regarding different cultures and how that affects what people expect from a resume. I think it's a great idea to have someone who runs across many resumes to review yours.

The following attachments show a sanitized and very much condensed version of my resume (I had to chop the resume up a bit to get the filesize to the point where I could load them, but I think you'll get an idea none-the-less). Due to my experience, my resume spans 3 pages. I've had it reviewed several times by various HR managers during job fairs -- the last time it was reviewed, the lady stated that there was nothing she could suggest improvements on (although it might be difficult to tell by looking at this version); I even had an ex-boss "steal" my format. :D

I started with the "elegant resume" template from MS WORD and did some tweaking to get this end result.

As you can easily see, the layout is very much different from what you have...again this could be due to the differences between what we (here in the US) expect and what's expected in OZ.

Beno (and others) made some great suggestions. Given that you don't seem to have much on-the-job experience, I would suggest trying to adapt any projects/tasks you completed as coursework to reflect your overall experience.

Every resume I've submitted (with the exception of those distributed at job fairs, which had to be somewhat generic) were tailored to show how my experience matched their needs, based on the job description.

One final thing -- make sure you have no spelling errors!
 
Top Bottom