Would you????? Come on???would you???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drop down 13k and get yourself a nice 100 instead. Oh, did I just say that in the 80 forum.

2000 100 series 13k
Toyota LandCruiser - NICE!!!

^^ Nice! But I would agree.

^^ Nice! But I would agree.

No kidding. The nicest 80 ever produced is an entire class below the 100 in modern amenities, power, etc.

If you don't need the truck for more technical wheeling, the 100 is just as capable offroad, and if you do need it for technical wheeling then why spend a ton of money on a low mile mint stock 80 that hasn't had it's 90K service over the last 14 years or its headgasket replaced rather than a nicely built rig that has been fully baseline maintained for 40% of the asking price?

and just why is it you think that uncommonly low mileage on a 16 year old truck is a good thing???
Expect sop and start driving, clogged cats, dry seals and grandma style performance- I have seen it first hand.
Body and interior should be absolutely Smithsonian quality at this price- hell it should be in the Louve

$10k with lockers and 61k miles is still high? ...

According to book value...maybe. However, I don't think there are many cruiser nuts that would pass up on a locked '97 with 61k for ~$10k. I would have bought the vehicle I mentioned (locked '95 w/~70k for ~$10-11k) if the owner hadn't sugarcoated the body damage (I had a check in hand).

I paid $8200 for mine. 56k, no lockers. But it came with Wet Dog Smell(tm) that I'm having problems getting rid of.

mine was similar, the steam cleaner at the carwashes did nothing. i ended up pulling the carpet and cleaned it up with resolve a couple of times and scrubbed it, stuff does wonders. really worked. pulled out all the dirt, coffee and odor. i cleaned all the floor boards and sound dampener the carpet covered as well.

Don't forget the roof interior. Damp white cloth with carpet shampoo only. An old t-shirt will do it.

Not worth it at that price in my opinion. Think of the mods you could put on a well kept cruiser with 150,000 that you bought for $6000-8000. You'd still have money left over for any of the repairs you might have to make or even have the engine rebuilt and all hoses etc replaced.

I considered looking for/purchasing a low mileage FZJ80 when I sold my Mercedes G350DT. At the time my son was driving my old 97 FZJ80 with around 150,000 miles, it is in great shape, interior still clean, no rips no tears, needs nothing, nice vehicle. I looked around and found a couple low mileage 80's in the $12,000 range with around 70,000 miles. They were nice, not like new as advertised though, in reality just marginally better than mine with twice the mileage. I started thinking the great thing about the Land Cruiser is the longevity of the vehicle so why pay a premium for one with low miles? I decided to buy my son another vehicle and start driving my old one again.
In my opinion, find one that is under 150,000 miles, you should be able to find a pretty nice one for around $7.500? Might need a few little things done but for the price difference you can make it as nice as the low mileage vehicle and still have quite a bit left over.
Maybe to find one that is truly like new would be really cool, I would love to have a new FZJ80, so a very low mileage extremely nice clean example might get my interest but on the other hand I don't think I would enjoy it anymore than my clean 97 with 150,000 miles.
Good luck
Rusty

It really depends on what the cruiser is worth to that person. In a few years when I have the income to purchase a low mileage 80 I will because it is worth it to me because they are few and far between now. That said if it had lockers then yes it could potentially be worth north of 20k. But since it does not the my vote is no.

I think it often comes down to whether or not you want to build it for off-roading. If not, a 100 series will give you more for your money. Otherwise, you're just buying the longevity of the 80's engine. If you are into off-roading, you'd want lockers because they don't increase the price much used but are very expensive to install.

If you haven't found many near you, have you tried: http://www.autotempest.com/

They give results from half a dozen different sites. I saw a 97 LC with under 100K for around $10k, for example.

$15,000 for an LX450 with no lockers? No. I simply wouldn't buy an 80 series without lockers unless it was dirt cheap, like $5k or less and still in good shape with reasonable miles. A 1998 100 series with 60K for $15,000? Maybe. At least some of the electronics would balance out not having lockers and you'd have slightly better ride and fuel economy, I believe.

Love to hear how it all turns out.

Last edited:
HUMMM....$23K seems a bit high. I picked up my one owner, SILVER, LOCKED, every single record, from New Mexico, 97 LX450 with 46K miles last spring for close to $18K. Yeah, there are those of us that are willing to pay a little more just because we know how rare these trucks are. Call us crazy or whatever, but I still believe these were/are the best civilian vehicles ever made. For me this one was my dream car. My dream car came along so I bought it for $18K! That is a cheap dream car if you ask me. My intention is to keep it for ever and turn it into an expo rig.....might even drive it around the world.
As for the one that sold on here for 18K with 37K miles......how long did it take him to sell that? Yeah, just a few days. It was perfect except that it was green. :D
For you who said $10K is too much for this truck....you are :censor: nuts!!!!!! That thing would sell in less than 10 seconds if it was listed at $10K

18 or 23, that's crap for anything 15+ years old. Jack-wagons like those paying this much are screwing the market for these trucks all up. STOP PLEASE!

Come on folks, really, 18 for a 14 year truck, dream car or not, that's just a waste of $$$$$$$$$

Mine was $5900 for 135K miles and lockers, now that's reasonable

I'm considering calling this guy up and asking him to reduce the price drastically. Perhaps I'll ask him to check out this thread and reconsider the price. I would be going from a bone stock 91 LC to a 97 LX 450. The wifey has given the green light to purchase even at 14k but 8k-9k would be even better!

There was a listing in the classifieds here a while back and some idiot was selling a 96 4Runner for 18k. Sure it was clean, but 18k??? The funny part is that an even bigger idiot bought it for 16.5k.

So in the end, who's the fool? Not the guy who made 16.5k for a 6k 4Runner?

I'm sure someone will come along and pay 19.5k for this 80 series. You may need to let this one go and wait for another that is being sold at a reasonable price. A vehicle is a lousy investment, but if you had to sell your car 6 months after you bought it, would you get your money back?

Last edited:
no i wouldnt.

$23k is pie in the sky pricing. I would guess the seller is either fishing at that price or doesn't want to sell.

I think it would sell for $15-16k all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom