Would you buy a 92 for 6800$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All 80 series are underpowered... The 3fe is as awesome motor too but that's priced way too high.

Answer to OP's question: No way.

I would not even consider a 91 or 92. See them in this area for around 2K all the time. CLub member picked up 93 w/o lockers for $2700

If i had to even ask that question I might be clueless enough to buy it

Not sure how many people you will be hauling or how much you are towing, but if no off-road I'd look more towards a Sequoia or Quad Cab Tundra than an 80 series. fwiw.

Need to haul 7 people for long highway trips.

Have you got a handle on the 'mud consensus yet?

X2 a la coax's post - Seqouia or 100 - If you haul 7 on the hiway w/ 92 there better be no hills where you live-.... but at least you can split the gas 7 ways

Yes got the consensus, and thus I love Mud! As I said I was looking for 80 series last year, but didn't find what I was looking for.

So this year moved up to the 100 series, and increased the budget. I look at least an hour a day, and haven't found the right truck.

This just came up in the search, thus was curious what the mud folks thought.

Now my need to haul people will be starting in October this year, so my need to buy the truck is rapidly approaching. I am hoping the summer gas price hike will lead me to a good truck.

Yes there are hills where I live, and where I need to travel. Los Angeles to SF and on to Seattle and then up to Calgary and Alaska.

Make 2 trips a year.

Gas will be on me, not them.

Yes got the consensus, and thus I love Mud! As I said I was looking for 80 series last year, but didn't find what I was looking for.

So this year moved up to the 100 series, and increased the budget. I look at least an hour a day, and haven't found the right truck.

been looking daily since august, off and on almost a year for HOURS a day, wake up hit up autotempest and mud classifides occasionally lemmonfree.com but not sure thats a legit site yet... get a break in between classes search again
search at work
search when i get home
search before going to bed

been SEVERAL nice deals west of TX recently, just a week ago a nice 80 150k miles lockers sold for $4500

there was one in NC that i really wanted just to short on funds....

keep looking

good luck! :cheers:

oh and gas is ALWAYS on me :doh:

Need to haul 7 people for long highway trips.

I hope this is not 7 adults.

Seven grown men and whatever bags/gear they need and a long hwy trip... Not in an 80... or a 100... or a sequoia either IHMO. And I have used all of them.

I'd be looking for a Diesel E350 "extended" van if I were you.

You seem to be talking about road use, so reallyt no need for 4wd anyway.

Mark...

I just purchase mine 80 last week. A fully loaded 1994 with e-lockers and 150K miles on it for less that $5K. I look for over two months on local clasiffied until arrived and I was tempting to buy others without 92-93 without all features, but I was patience.

My two toys :)
my2toys.jpg

This just came up in the search, thus was curious what the mud folks thought.

Now my need to haul people will be starting in October this year, so my need to buy the truck is rapidly approaching. I am hoping the summer gas price hike will lead me to a good truck.

Yes there are hills where I live, and where I need to travel. Los Angeles to SF and on to Seattle and then up to Calgary and Alaska.

Make 2 trips a year.

Go drive it. With 7 people. Up any hill. Then plan that for a trip to Alaska and back twice a year.

You would pay somebody $7K just to make the pain go away.

4.5L over the 'Mighty 3FE' hand's down and I've had 2 of the 4.0 and love my 4.5 so much more. JMTC
:cool:

yup, hes right that thing is slow, the 4.5 is much better.

I did pay almost double that for mine with most of its current mod's though... :meh:

Is there much of a difference between 91,92 and 93-94? Which one is the better bet if you had a choice and all were taken good care of?

according to the FAQ and slees buying guide

94. (thats what im looking for) 95+ may have the "lesser tranny" but it does have air-bags... important when thinking of :princess: PITA when thinking of me driving into an obstacle... :lol:

so to answer your question id have to say....

yes. :hillbilly:

Is there much of a difference between 91,92 and 93-94? Which one is the better bet if you had a choice and all were taken good care of?

oh god, there's this thing called the FAQ "frequently asked questions" you might want to start there...

But basically after the 92 toyota upgraded the motor, transmission, transfer-case and axles, they also added abs rear discs and the electronics as well as interior. For domestic landcruisers they began adding electric locking diffs as an option.

Basically the point is: 92 and earlier-open diffs, 3fe motor, less capable brakes, rear semi float axle and no abs.

93 and newer: optional electric diffs, 1fz (reasonable power) better brakes and full float rear axle, abs.

If almost anyone here had the choice of a 92 vs. locked 93+ with similar km's it would be about 98% for the 93+
but you can get 91-92 for less typically, I picked up a stock 92 4 years ago for 3200 for example

Ryan. I'm in Costa Mesa, CA. I saw this 92 that you speak of on CL. I have a 91 just like it. The 92 really does look to be in mint condition. I bought mine for 5800 with 160k from the original owner and it was in about the same shape. Then of course I spent some more cash just to get my 91 to be in good solid shape mechanically. I have yet to drive a 93 +. I'm afraid that if I do I might regret my 91 purchase. I really dig my 91. The more I read here on MUD and ask around the 3FE is a far less engine to keep up. Did you buy it? I don't see the add any longer.

My 95 with lockers and leather interior that was in better than fair shape was 5200. Take your time and you will find the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom