Would you buy a 200 again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Without a doubt i would buy again. We bought a 2018 LX this year with 10,000 miles. It was mint condition and certified. Saved $30,000 by buying certified.

Definitely. Had a 2008, and now have ‘13 (mine) and a ‘16 (bride’s). Bought all used. No other vehicle really does it for me anymore. They broke me! Sometimes I consider a third More MPG-friendly ride, but would not trade one of the LC’s to do it.

Definitely. Had a 2008, and now have ‘13 (mine) and a ‘16 (bride’s). Bought all used. No other vehicle really does it for me anymore. They broke me! Sometimes I consider a third More MPG-friendly ride, but would not trade one of the LC’s to do it.

You’re getting a combined 28mpg!!

Yes.
I have to buy used on my budget... But yes. No question.

Anything I’ve asked the 200 to do on road or off, it has done
extremely well.

Yes. I started out looking at an 80 series. I realized a used 200 is a lot of truck for the money. So it is in the garage. Then I bought an FJ Cruiser because I wanted a manual transmission and 4 wheel drive and capability.

YES I have a 2016 purchased used in 2018. I would buy another 200 if something unexpected happened to mine. The plan is to keep it at least 20 years. 2 years down 18 to go.

I would recommend not looking at the 200 series in terms of what you aren't getting. The only things of consequence that I think could be improved are the fuel efficiency and infotainment. Everything else you get in a 'modern' platform aren't worth what you give up. It's all about tradeoffs and the 200 series is the unique in more ways that are important to me than it is lacking in areas of importance. Upgrading the infotainment is pretty damn easy now and while you might miss out on a driver assist feature or two, I wouldn't trade everything else that can only be had with 200 series to get those bells and whistles.

I have a 2013 that I have built up and with the recent news about the demise of 200 in the US, I'm seriously considering picking up a new(er) one to keep for the rest of my natural life. I think the Bronco will be fun but not an option for all the same reasons I'll never own a Jeep. The Defender is already starting to get a reputation for poor build quality, and I wouldn't compare either of them to a 200 to begin with. Different in every way. I don't think you would regret buying a new 200, but its never going to 'feel' modern unless you make some upgrades.

I would recommend not looking at the 200 series in terms of what you aren't getting. The only things of consequence that I think could be improved are the fuel efficiency and infotainment. Everything else you get in a 'modern' platform aren't worth what you give up. It's all about tradeoffs and the 200 series is the unique in more ways that are important to me than it is lacking in areas of importance. Upgrading the infotainment is pretty damn easy now and while you might miss out on a driver assist feature or two, I wouldn't trade everything else that can only be had with 200 series to get those bells and whistles.

I have a 2013 that I have built up and with the recent news about the demise of 200 in the US, I'm seriously considering picking up a new(er) one to keep for the rest of my natural life. I think the Bronco will be fun but not an option for all the same reasons I'll never own a Jeep. The Defender is already starting to get a reputation for poor build quality, and I wouldn't compare either of them to a 200 to begin with. Different in every way. I don't think you would regret buying a new 200, but its never going to 'feel' modern unless you make some upgrades.

I'll add that while the 200 may never feel modern or seem like you are getting all the features you deserve given the showroom price tag , its the only vehicle I know of that will feel and drive like new after 150k miles, which is what I see in the price.

It's funny but I wish they'd actually DOWNGRADE the infortainment. At least then swapping in something new and sleek would be easier (and give me more justification - haha!). At the moment I look at the Tesla style screens like what @Romer has done and get excited but then I have to give up the rear entertainment for the kids, XM, front de-icer, etc... granted most of those I don't use very often now, but for some reason it pains me to have them non-functional and while the 2013 Toyota nav isn't amazing it's generally ok. Like getting a C- in history... dumb but I can get over it

It's funny but I wish they'd actually DOWNGRADE the infortainment. At least then swapping in something new and sleek would be easier (and give me more justification - haha!). At the moment I look at the Tesla style screens like what @Romer has done and get excited but then I have to give up the rear entertainment for the kids, XM, front de-icer, etc... granted most of those I don't use very often now, but for some reason it pains me to have them non-functional and while the 2013 Toyota nav isn't amazing it's generally ok. Like getting a C- in history... dumb but I can get over it

I don't have kids and would never suggest I know anything about keeping them entertained on a car ride, but I guess I always assumed that folks in the 200 market probably have iPads loaded with content and the rear entertainment doesn't really stack up against that. I am getting the Tesla style screen and the LCD gauge cluster replacement, neither of which loses any functionality I care about and together I think will deliver as modern of a feel as is possible.

Everybody's needs are different, but for me, I think it will really change the driving experience having those mods in place. The mod'ing is part of the fun for me and makes the ownership experience that much better. Definitely not for everybody though.

Last edited:
I don't have kids and would never suggest I know anything about keeping them entertain on a car ride, but I guess I always assumed that folks in the 200 market probably have iPads loaded with content and the rear entertainment doesn't really stack up against that. I am getting the Tesla style screen and the LCD gauge cluster replacement, neither of which loses any functionality I care about and together I think will deliver as modern of a feel as is possible. Everybody's needs are different, but for me, I think it will be great and really change the driving experience having those mods in place. The mod'ing is part of the fun for me and makes the ownership experience that much better.
I have 3 kids and I won't profess to know much about keeping them entertained either. But the man who invented the portable DVD player is my hero.

My older two have phones now, so the DVD player gets used less often, but still used some on those really long 20+ hour trips, particularly by the youngest who is still phone-free. But it goes back to preferring downgrades - I would have rather purchased 3 tablets for the kids than to have paid for the RES as part of the vehicle cost, but now that the truck has the system I feel silly leaving parts of it installed but non-operational. That said if any of it dies, or if someone finds a good "filler" panel for the roof-mounted screen and rear controls, I will eventually go this route as well.

I have 3 kids and I won't profess to know much about keeping them entertained either. But the man who invented the portable DVD player is my hero.

My older two have phones now, so the DVD player gets used less often, but still used some on those really long 20+ hour trips, particularly by the youngest who is still phone-free. But it goes back to preferring downgrades - I would have rather purchased 3 tablets for the kids than to have paid for the RES as part of the vehicle cost, but now that the truck has the system I feel silly leaving parts of it installed but non-operational. That said if any of it dies, or if someone finds a good "filler" panel for the roof-mounted screen and rear controls, I will eventually go this route as well.

Totally get it. To be honest, I might feel differently if I was paying full freight for a brand new one.

I'll also add that you must be doing something right with those kids if LCDC was any indication, and I suspect those 20+ hour trips have something to do with it. It was great seeing you enjoying the LC together.

Reactions: HGB
I scratched the itch, if my LC gets totalled this afternoon I would probably go for a Raptor next just to try something different. Either way looking to sell it in a few years. Tundra and Raptor are high on the list to replace it.

We are on our 2nd 200 series (should have kept the 2013 as well as just buying the 17)
On the defender2 (I am a 1995 defender 90 owner as well) I would give it a pass... my friends can’t seem to figure out it’s not in Slovakia for the Nav system and keeps resetting the clock to UTC... would be funny with out the random check engine lights it also throws... it has 10k miles on it now ...
ymmv

Reactions: HGB
I fully agree, I guess I’m behind the times, i use the infotainment in my ‘13 LX same I do as my wife’s Tesla. For me it’s mostly FM radio, it I get really technical it’s pandora through USB from my phone.

I'll also add that you must be doing something right with those kids if LCDC was any indication, and I suspect those 20+ hour trips have something to do with it. It was great seeing you enjoying the LC together.
Thanks. They have their moments, and my daughter is not a fan of camping ("why can't we stay at a hotel like normal people?!?!") but 4-wheeling really excites them.

I suppose to the OP's question my answer is yes, though there are lots of caveats as to why it's the right vehicle for us which wouldn't necessarily apply to others. That said if my truck suddenly caught fire or was stolen, I'd absolutely go buy another 200 tomorrow and start over

I fully agree, I guess I’m behind the times, i use the infotainment in my ‘13 LX same I do as my wife’s Tesla. For me it’s mostly FM radio, it I get really technical it’s pandora through USB from my phone.
Ditto. Spotify over BT, or XM when I'm lazy. Toyota maps are good enough 98% of the time, we use Google to supplement. I use my work phone to run OBD Fusion separately when towing. Sure it'd be great to integrate everything in one unit, but sometimes I want a system that "just works" as opposed to fiddling with one that just (barely) works.

My tesla setup has video and sound RCA inputs. Since I dont care about rear entertainment I have never played with them. Not sure its a foregone conclusion that you lose the rear entertainment. You might have to replace it though. I have no idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom