Would you buy a 200 again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Other than daily driver and room for 5, what's the use case? Long trips, camping, off-road, towing, mostly local, etc.? There are some really nice 3-row AWD SUVs available right now with the latest infotainment----and are much more efficient----and half the cost of an LC. If you need the immense capability of the LC, buy a 2021 LC and don't look back. If you don't need those capabilities, take some more test drives in other SUVs.

After owning 2 Tundra's, a 60 (regretfully gone) and the impulse buy of the Gladiator, I would 100% buy another 200 if I had the need to. The 200 is on a completely different level when compared to the Tundra and it does what the Tundra did for me without issue. My only complaint is the headunit, but my last Tundra which was a 2018 left little to be desired as far as the headunit so for me it's not a deal breaker.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 200. I would hesitate spending $80k but used these are a steal esp when finding one in mint condition. They last forever as long as it doesn't have rust. At $80k I would spend $20k on 200 ($10k in upgrades) and $50k on Electric UV (cybertruck, VW microbus, hummer). I can't wait to see what Toyota does eventually when they move away from fossil fuels.

Reactions: HGB
Other than daily driver and room for 5, what's the use case? Long trips, camping, off-road, towing, mostly local, etc.? There are some really nice 3-row AWD SUVs available right now with the latest infotainment----and are much more efficient----and half the cost of an LC. If you need the immense capability of the LC, buy a 2021 LC and don't look back. If you don't need those capabilities, take some more test drives in other SUVs.
As a family we need another newer vehicle. I have a restored FJ40. I have a triple locked LX450 for offroad. We have a 2017 Silverado ltz that I like, but we really don't need a truck. We never use the small bed and I find myself renting a trailer when we need to haul something. We do have a boat. The sequoia and truck both pull it fine. Truck does it better due to the solid axle.

We have the means to buy a landcruiser and I am a huge fan if them. Hell. I don't need one. But I will never by a sleepy hilander or Honda passport. I will drive my 80 before that.

Part of it now is that landcruisers represent who I am. I just don't see myself not in one. I just wish the 200 had a few more modern touches of even my pickup.

We will probably buy it. I just wanted to hear from folks that have one already.

Hi Everyone,,
I generally hang out in the 80 and 40 section but silently read the many threads here.

We have a family of 5 with three boys between 6 and 8 years old. Our sequoia is our family vehicle. We also have a new Silverado. And an 80 and 40.

I've always wanted a new 200 and we took one for a drive today. Its obviously smaller than our sequoia inside and much closer to my 80 from a size standpoint. I'm ok with that.

My question is. With 2021 being the last year and given it is a10 year old platform would you buy it again or hold out for the 300 or some other similar vehicle(if there really is a similar vehicle). My brain says bronco or defender might be cool.

I love landcruisers but my internal self is questioning. I would get something used at a lower price point but the wifey wants something new. I love both my landcruisers but didn't have to pay 80k either for them.

This would be a daily driver. Would love to hear from folks that own and drive these fine vehicles.

Thank you
Mark

I love my '14 LX, but I wouldn't buy a 200 series brand new right now. At this point it's a pretty dated platform, and at a very high price.

If you have very, very specific needs that only match the 200 series, that changes things. But for a vehicle that's primarily a daily driver? Get a comfortable, reliable, luxurious AWD car or SUV of your choice. Failing that, I'd hold out for the 300 series LX.

As a family we need another newer vehicle. I have a restored FJ40. I have a triple locked LX450 for offroad. We have a 2017 Silverado ltz that I like, but we really don't need a truck. We never use the small bed and I find myself renting a trailer when we need to haul something. We do have a boat. The sequoia and truck both pull it fine. Truck does it better due to the solid axle.

We have the means to buy a landcruiser and I am a huge fan if them. Hell. I don't need one. But I will never by a sleepy hilander or Honda passport. I will drive my 80 before that.

Part of it now is that landcruisers represent who I am. I just don't see myself not in one. I just wish the 200 had a few more modern touches of even my pickup.

We will probably buy it. I just wanted to hear from folks that have one already.

I get that completely! If an LC is who you are, for sure get the 200. I'm the same way. When I wrote my recent article for Toyota Trails, I realized how much I identify with LCs. Now your task is to make sure the dealer doesn't see that. Otherwise, you're in for full MSRP. :bounce2:

If you like the quality and firm drive of a Land Cruiser and sounds as you do, I recommend it!

Wife bought a 15’ new and it has done everything she, the dog, and the kids want it to do and has stood up to major use on a daily basis.

As a family we use it several times a year for Trips to the lake, vacations, weekend trips etc and it performs flawlessly! My wife points out frequently when she parks at school, yoga, or where ever else she goes how it has a big advantage over most SUV it’s size with the ease of Parking.

I bought a 20’ HE this Fall after the company changed it’s comp pkg to a car allowance v. Company car and have been incredibly happy with it, more so after making it my 200 version of an 80 and taking it on a 6300 mile trip out West.

Good luck, unfortunately the end of the line, but I feel Toyota kept as much Land Cruiser in the 200 series until,they couldn’t!

Would I buy one again? In a heartbeat. The LC200 is my favorite vehicle ever - I've had several Mercs, Infiniti, 80-series, etc. To me the 200 is the perfect balance between luxury and off road capability. I've got a 2014 and the only other vehicle I'd even consider buying right now is a 2020/21.

If you're looking for objective opinions though, a 200 series enthusiasts web board probably isn't the best place.

Nope wouldn't buy a second.

Oh wait I did.

I would buy a third if I needed it.

John

Yup. Without debate. I did it. I bought a used 2011 with 105k on the clock. Dropped another trouble free 25k miles on it in one year, then traded it in for a 2020 Heritage. I only have 6k miles on it but its easily the best vehicle I've ever had. I'll likely look for another used Heritage in a couple years for the wife.

In 2014 I bought a highly optioned crew cab Silverado Z71 with a 6.5 bed to replace my SAS 1996 Z71 as my daily driver. In 2017 I sold it and bought a mint 2013 LC200 with 40K miles on it for about half the sticker price. I put a prinsu rack on it and have never looked back. I off road it lightly but use it like a truck all the time. I pickup drywall/plywood, pipe sections, and all kinds of oversized crap with it. I also have a full length roof box, bike racks, and racks for fishing poles and snow boards. In 3 years I can only think of one time I wish I had the pickup.

The one think i do wish is that it was more fuel efficient. Head units and technology always get out of date. I have a nicer head unit in my 1993 FZJ80 than the 200 has. Eventually i will update the 200 to something nicer. The thing about my 200 is what i like about my 80. When it has 260K miles on it, i would feel completely comfortable driving it across country and not worrying one bit about it.

Out of about two dozen vehicles over the years, this is the first one that I haven't had a gut feeling within the first 24 months that I'd sell it and get something else. Almost three years in, and I'm making sure I have a second vehicle to keep daily miles off it so I can keep it -forever-.

But, I don't care about infotainment.

For those that do, there are options to add carplay and other features, though they will not be to OEM quality.

I gave up holding out for the 300 a few months ago.. Getting the 2020HE turned out to be a pretty good move! My last cruiser was a 2005 100 and my DD for over 11 years. While waiting for the 300 I did the unthinkable.. bought a non Land Cruiser. 2016 Ford Expedition Platinum. Great motor.. updated tech (compared to the 100). Towed the trailer well. Figured I would drive that until the 300 came out. My kids... who are not kids now.. were aghast. They grew up with constant Cruisers since the mid 1980s. They said it’s just not right Dad.. It’s not right.... I’m grandpa age now but that Ford made me feel like a grandpa. Early this year the Ford Expedition literally started falling apart. Decided to sell and was shocked how the value fell apart too.. I feel much better about myself driving a cruiser again.. even with sticker shock I have never regretted buying any Land Cruiser.. only regrets are about the selling part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom