Would this happen to an 80 series?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Something doesn't seem right, the entire 300 Series body came off the frame in this accident?? Has anything like this ever happened to an 80 series??

Wonder if someone (after purchase) did some modification/alteration to the body/frame before the accident and forgot to bolt the body back to the frame?? Or was it just due to the redesign?? IDK

I'm no engineer, but I find it interesting that there would be any remaining points of contact between frame and body, seeing as how the remainder separated so cleanly. If you are to assume it separated while in motion, that would be a ton of force acting on the remaining bits holding the frame and body together at the tail. Obviously it happened, but I would love to know how it unfolded.

Do the 300 series have an aluminum body?

Something’s not right. The vehicle body would(should) crumple far before the body mounts rip out of the floor. You can’t shear the body mount bolts, you can tear them put of the floor pan but if you look in the video it’s like there was never bolts in the first place. Someone took the body off and didn’t replace the bolts.

Last edited:
Do the 300 series have an aluminum body?
Body structure = steel

Body panels = aluminum

854D32FA-93E9-49F0-8AE3-FBE87ACD6074.png

CF578D89-DF0A-4996-9170-0ECA29ED563D.png

D8D343A2-3E26-4E01-9D9C-932860A52C92.png

Toyota LC engineers are truly world class.
👏🏼

From YouTube

Last edited:
Perhaps that's why they aren't coming here, would never pass (or score poorly in) the accident tests?

Toyota has stopped taking orders for 79 and 300 series LC's here in Australia. Last time I asked a dealer about supply, 79's were an 18 month wait and 300's were 24 months. Currently, the wait is indefinite.

One of the guys at my work is a Hilux lover and he said he ordered a new Hilux in Feb this year and the delivery timeframe is still Nov or Dec this year, and that's a for a Hilux that's probably made in Thailand like nearly every other ute/suv brand is currently - not Japan. 79's and 300's are I believe still made in Japan.

You have successfully convinced me not to spend $90,000 on a new Land Cruiser.

IFS is bad enough, but Ejecto-Bodies? No thank you.

No new vehicle should undergo 'emergency saucer seperation' in a collision. I'd hate to think what kind of collision would cause an 80 to have the chassis/motor/drivetrain stopped almost instantly by an immovable object but the inertia of the body cause all the mounts to simultaneously break off and the body (with occupants) keep on trucking for many more milliseconds or more delayed energy absorption. Maybe this is an unfortunate case of finite element analysis going wrong because the engineering says the body can be cheapened at the expense of more safety tech wankery.

What doesn't fit is that the 300 series got good ratings on crash tests.

Wondering if someone fiddled with the body mounts/bolts (body lift?)
and messed up something with the bolts/nuts/torque specs, so going around a curve or sudden stop or crash and the body could lift off the frame??

Either way, maybe a good reminder to check the body mounts/fasteners on our trucks??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom