Would new springs help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently acquired a '74 40 and it has a mild lift. I'm trying to improve the ride a little so my son and I can spend a little more time in it around town and at the deer lease. I'm not going to see a lot of offroad action other than mud and sand. The springs and shocks both seem pretty stiff when I jump on the bumpers. I can't find any identifying marks on the springs but there is one spring that seems out of place and narrow that may be an add-on. The shocks are napa grande 60s that say gas charged. Can anyone give me ideas about figuring out if the springs need replacing. I'm probably going to go ahead and get a set of bilsteins. I'd also appreciate advice on which bilsteins to order and wether spring bushing replacement would be of much value. Thanks
image-122999962.jpg
image-4260247618.jpg
image-1030268217.jpg

I would yank the AAL's (at least that what it looks like to me). That might even help with the shackle angle as well. That must be a rough ride.

Do the springs need to be completely removed or just the Ubolts and center pins? If i'm going to take the springs completely off should will I have to replace the bushings? If I'm going to replace the bushings should I replace the shackles? Should I just quit j**king off and get a OME deluxe kit from MAF or get OME springs with bilsteins?

It would be easy enough to drop the springs seats and center pins to pull the AAL's. Was the lift put on to clear the tires? If so then you may want to buy some sort of lift if it's not high enough. A new lift kit should come with new bushings, shocks and everything you need except shackles.

That shackle angle is crap too... Even of you yank the add a leafs the springs may not sag enough to improve that.. The only comfortable riding 40s I've been in were soa's with worn out stock springs or lift springs with a couple leaves removed... Your best outta the box ride would be omes or alcans imho

Here is what I think so listen up! :eek::D

If you are poor just remove the AAL spring and put it back together.

If you are going to go to the trouble of buying shocks, and remove springs you will at least need new u-bolts. And while your in there you may as well add new bushings, shackles, and greasable pins. So you are already half way money wise into a new lift kit.

If you can afford it go all out and get a full kit. If your old springs are OK shape and are lift springs you may be able to sell them off and regain a couple of bucks.

Your negative shackle angle is not helping your truck ride smooth either.

If you end up going with the Bilsteins, get the 5125s. They gave my 40 a much smoother ride, yet they are still stiff when you need them to be.

X2 on the Bilsteins

X2 on the bad shackle angle

bushing replacement worked wonders for my ride

When I bought my 65 it had add a leafs and the shackles were straight up and down. The ride was terrible and driving rutted roads was downright scary. I did as has been suggested earlier, and replaced the stock springs with new lift springs. I went with the soft ride skyjackers. Ride comfort and rut handling improved greatly.

appreciate everyones input. im going to buy springs and shocks. anybody want to weigh in on sources for OME springs/shackles or bilstein 5125s? I read everything I could on shackle reversal but i'm still a little conflicted. Any continuing advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kurt at cruiser outfitters for OME stuff and you can get billies at Checker Orielly Shucks auto parts. or order online.

shackle reversal is not all its cracked up to be...IMO. The angle of your shackle however is important. 45 degrees is the optimal ride quality.
My rig is SOA sitting on old worn out flat springs and rides like a dream. smooth and soft. anti reverse shackle at a 45 degree angle makes it very soft and smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom