Would it be possible??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
Okay I'm going to need the help of alot of people. I just need to know if its possible to put FZJ engine into an FJ80?

I realize there are going to be lots and lots of opinions about which way to go. Some smart*** is going to say "why not just buy an FZJ80?". If thats the case then what other engines can go into an FJ80? 7MGTE? 350 shortblock? What else?

Okay, lets go.

Ok no one else is touching this one so I will take a wack at it.
No one that I know of has put a 1fze into a 3FE powered 80.
several have gone the Small Block Chevy route and enjoy it,
I would think the major hurdles woudl be the wiring, to make it somewhat easier you would want to source an engine from a pre 95 fzj, the diagnostics on the earlier models were not as advanced and would be easier to work with.
the next hurdle would be to adapt it to the transmission.
Dave

OK I will play, sure no problem put in a late motor, exhust, matching trans. and wire harness, while your at it add the full floating locking axles. Probably the best bet is buy a FZJ80 and put all the parts in the FJ80 and part the rest of it out. :D

Sounds like someone is eyeing the low miles 1FZE that is for sale....somewhere... ;)

you are going to need more than just the motor, as said above if you want a 1FZ your best bet is a wrecked donor truck, the radiator, battery tray, air intake, accessories, wiring, fuel lines, exhaust, cables, control modules, hoses mounts ect will eat you up otherwise. I don’t know what is involved with the transmission but you may be better off swapping it over also along with its control module and both the engine and transmissions harnesses.

The only way I would attempt this is if I had a complete donor truck sitting right next to it.

Even then it doesn't quite make sense.

The engine mounts are also different.

Best bet is a Chebby. Besides you get that priceless V8 exhaust note, one of the coolest sounds around.

Hmm, good no one's said any smart remarks. So a Chevy engine would work. Which one? LT1 or LS1? I know there are adapters for it, but here's the challenge. I live in Cali, so would it pass smog?

I may just end up having the 3FE rebuilt.... Does anyone know a good shop that won't try to take your savings? Especially in NorCal.

Last edited:
I just need to know if its possible to put FZJ engine into an FJ80?

It would be possible to put a Jet Engine and tractor tires on it! How much do you wanna spend is the question..

Okay, I don't know what I'm talking about so I'll shut up, I just wanted to be a smart arse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom