Would a RWD steering box work for a "minitruck" power steering conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to do the "minitruck" conversion to my '71 FJ40, but the cheapest PS gear box I can find is around $350 + core. Core charges are in excess of $300 which tells me they're getting scarce. I've called every salvage yard in the area and come up empty.

The RWD version of this gear box is readily available in local auto parts stores for less than $300. (Example here)

I can see it's smaller and presumably less powerful.

My '71 isn't running big wheels and it's not set up to do serious off road.

If I add a cooler, do you think the RWD box would work?

I'd like to do the "minitruck" conversion to my '71 FJ40, but the cheapest PS gear box I can find is around $350 + core. Core charges are in excess of $300 which tells me they're getting scarce. I've called every salvage yard in the area and come up empty.

The RWD version of this gear box is readily available in local auto parts stores for less than $300. (Example here)

I can see it's smaller and presumably less powerful.

My '71 isn't running big wheels and it's not set up to do serious off road.

If I add a cooler, do you think the RWD box would work?

Another option is the DIY electric power steering.

I like the electric option, but this fj40 has a column shift that would interfere with the electric assist box. Only way to fix that I can think of would be a floor shifter conversion.

Also, electric ps takes something like 200 watts. The fj40 only has a 40 amp alternator that would need to be upgraded.

Still, a very cool idea..

You might try ebay.

Similar issue with Scout PS boxes and I found one on ebay... still was almost $200 for a used box.

Might also try car-part.com My luck hasn't been great with email replies but I've gotten a part or two through them.
You might try ebay.

Similar issue with Scout PS boxes and I found one on ebay... still was almost $200 for a used box.

Might also try car-part.com My luck hasn't been great with email replies but I've gotten a part or two through them.

I have a saved search going on eBay. There's a big world out there. Maybe something will turn up.

I used to have a '73 Scout II. If I can't make the minitruck conversion work, a Scout PS conversion is my second choice.

I like the electric option, but this fj40 has a column shift that would interfere with the electric assist box. Only way to fix that I can think of would be a floor shifter conversion.

Also, electric ps takes something like 200 watts. The fj40 only has a 40 amp alternator that would need to be upgraded.

Still, a very cool idea..

Wont you have to convert to floor shift no matter which option you choose?

Wont you have to convert to floor shift no matter which option you choose?
I've never done this, so you've got me wondering.

The minitruck gearbox goes in same place as the old gearbox. I guess I'd assumed the new gearbox would give me a suitable mount point for the column shift rod. Is that not true?

I've never done this, so you've got me wondering.

The minitruck gearbox goes in same place as the old gearbox. I guess I'd assumed the new gearbox would give me a suitable mount point for the column shift rod. Is that not true?
The later trucks 10/72 and after, used a rag joint at the box. The steering column is anchored at the firewall in the later trucks. On an earlier rig, the steering shaft passes through the box and if you are going to be doing a power steering swap will need to be cut off of the steering box and anchored at the firewall. The mini truck box doesn’t just drop onto the stock mount as it hs a different angle than an FJ40 steering box. Georg at valley hybrids makes a mount to secure the mini truck box to the frame.

Last edited:
The later trucks 9/72 and after, used a rag joint at the box. The steering column is anchored at the firewall in the later trucks. On an earlier rig, the steering shaft passes through the box and if you are going to be doing a power steering swap will need to be cut off of the steering box and anchored at the firewall. The mini truck box doesn’t just drop onto the stock mount as it hs a different angle than an FJ40 steering box. Georg at valley hybrids makes a mount to secure the mini truck box to the frame.
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Have you checked Rockauto? They usually don’t have core charges and they have a discount code for mud members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom