Worth the Purchase? Lots of pics! New poster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!

My wife has wanted to purchase and restore an FJ40 for the longest time. I've worked on miscellaneous vehicles over the years and helped a friend fully restore a CJ7 years ago, so I don't mind taking on a project. I've read around the forum for about a week doing some research since I recently came across a gentleman who locally has a 1979 FJ 40 (all original), but it is a rust bucket. He got it running for a gentleman 15 years ago and the guy never came and picked it back up.

He also has a 1973 with a 305 motor 32,000 miles, stored indoors for the last 20 years. He is mechanic, put the 305 in brand new, 4 speed original transmission. They both run and drive.

He wants to sell them as a package. My thoughts are to part out the 1979 since there appears to be too much rust to salvage and do some restoration on the 1973 which my wife will enjoy driving around town.

I'm basically looking for any advice and or opinions on if it is worth the $$$. He wants $6,000 for both, but I know he will take $5,000. I've cranked the 1973 and taking for a test drive before the purchase, but I'm going to get him to crank the 79 as well just to make sure the motor is good.

First pics are of the 79 rust bucket.

Second are of the 73.

20210814_111111_copy_600x800.jpg

20210814_111019_copy_800x600.jpg

20210814_111136_copy_600x800.jpg

20210814_111033_copy_600x800.jpg

20210814_111305_copy_600x800.jpg

If the ‘73 is solid; I like the $5k price for both, especially since they both run and drive! The ‘79 is parts (or crawler/ basher, if you’re into that).

Welcome to IH8MUD!

Last edited:
$5K sounds like a decent price for the two. But then I’m partial to a ‘73 with a V8 swap!😉

Not sure what you could salvage off the ‘79. Hard top sides, doors and glass are always in demand. If the engine isn’t siez up could be worth some $ or swap back into the ‘73.

Do it, just make sure you have enough time and some extra cash to actually finish the project. It always sucks to have a half finished car in the driveway.

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, I was thinking of taking the top off the rust bucket and putting the on the 73. I'm assuming they are interchangeable?

I rebuilt my 1970 FJ40 and after it was all done I spent a fortune and continue to put money into. It’s an old vehicle. I am always improving it. It was my first and only rebuild so I made many mistakes along the way and paid for them. You stated you have experience so you are far ahead than I was. As you are aware, parts can be slim and expensive. I am so far into it that I continue down the treacherous path. If I knew what I know now, I would have bought a new Rincon Jeep for the same price that I put into my FJ40. I do have pride with my FJ40 and get thumbs up as I drive it around, which is nice. You cannot get gas without someone checking the Land Cruiser out. With that said, $5,000 seems like a good price on today’s market and you will have parts to trade for what you really need. Good luck and buy lot’s of beer. You’ll need it….

Oh thank you for the clarification. Does that mean the 73 is actually a 72 due to being manufactured in 11/72?

I'm used to newer model vehicles being manufactured in September or later being the next year model.

Does that mean the 73 is actually a 72 due to being manufactured in 11/72?

No only 75 and 79 started in January.

Some model years in sixties really hard to say some years. Then 67 to 68 easy because major changes. Seventies models started in months 7, 8, 9 and 10. And 75 and 79 being 1 (January).

Buy them up. B4 you unload the 78 scavenge parts to use on the 73. If the 73 still has frt drum brakes, swap in the 78 frt disc brake axle and possibly the rear. Other items could be the rollbar, jump seats if it still has them and driveline. Be sure to get the 73 the way you want it b4 selling the 78 parts.

I'm going to be perhaps slightly contrarian. In today's market, yes, they are probably worth the $5k. You could probably part out the 79 and clean up and resell the 73 and make money. From the limited photos however I don't think I would want to make the 73 my project. But maybe that's just me. Would really need a lot more photos to make that call.

Think the wild card here is what does your wife want? Happy wife happy life.

I would pass but I am also in Arizona with a number of little to no rust FJ40s. @WarDamnEagle is in a completely different 40 series market. So our options would be different. The newer one being a 78 is actually an advantage. Tubs are pretty close. 73-78 the tub floor was the same. The biggest challenge would be to add the ambulance doors to the 73 tub. But I see the rust and say run Forest run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom