worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am new here and am looking to buy my first cruiser. im looking at a 73/74 fj40 for $2,000. and as far as i can tell it is all original with the additon of a plow. body seems to be in decent shape with minor surface rust the rear sill will need replaced and i think the front windshield frame needs replaces the hard top is in great shap all hinges are in smooth working order. all floorboards are solid, the seats ofcourse need new material and i will need to replace most all the glass seals. 2f motor runs strong, tranny great, drum brakes allthe way round. this 40 was owned by my uncle for the last 12 years and was driven rarely to plow light snow only in a dirt driveway never on the roads here in michigan. the frame looks great despite being driven in winter only. was parked about 2 years ago and now wont start i think it is the after market fuel pump, it clicks but i dont think its getting fuel. havent really had time to fully check the problem

im looking for a project vehicle mostly a recreational driver with decent off road abilities, fuel economy and ride quality are not a concern. my wife thinks its the ugliest thing in the known world but i think she is beautiful....i mean the 40......and my wife. any input would be great.

See if you can talk him down at all from 2000... I'd get it if I were you... you probably won't find one in running order for less than that anyways. And if it's been in your family at least you'll know most of what has been done to it, "and knowing is half the battle." just my 2 cents... oh, and welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

Welcome, probably worth getting, you can always give him grief if it is worse than he says.

"fuel economy and ride quality are not a concern. " That is good, cause you won't get em.

"my wife thinks its the ugliest thing in the known world" Reason enough to get it.

"......and my wife. any input would be great." Post pics of her and we'll comment on that too.

Good luck on your new ride.

$2K sounds good from what you are describing. Welcome!

And definitely post pics....of your wife....so we can evaluate properly. :D

IDave said:
$2K sounds good from what you are describing. Welcome!

And definitely post pics....of your wife....so we can evaluate properly. :D

i forget how literal you guys are. i will try to read my postings myself before i list them!

cruisermedic said:
i forget how literal you guys are. i will try to read my postings myself before i list them!

YEAHHHH!!!

Sounds like a good deal. It's coming from family and you know the history.

Go for it! When I got my cruiser, my wife was not too keen as well but now that is is mostly together and re-painted, she is becoming quite attached. She even helps wrench!

So you have a couple of things to do:

1. Buy the cruiser
2. Post pictures of your wife

Welcome:flipoff2:

trekker said:
So you have a couple of things to do:

1. Post pictures of your wife
2. Buy the cruiser

Welcome:flipoff2:

YEAHHH!!!

like iDave says, sounds like a deal.

But, you can improve ride quality, I've done it. PM me if you need info.

Fuel economy can be 15-18 mpg, although for wheeling, you better estimate 1 gallon per hour.

pull the trigger, probably a good deal, especially if it runs and drives well

Hi All:

Well, if it *was* a runner I'd say $2K wasn't such a bad deal, but you wrote that you have not figured out why it won't start up.

If it is a 1973 or 74 it will have the 3.8L "F" motor, not the 4.2L "2F" engine. Which transmission? Three or four speed?

I'll join the chorus: pics, pics, pics! But, of the FJ40! Post pics of your wife in the "Chat" section! ;)

Welcome aboard the Land Cruiser "ship of fools."

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

no no pics go here first then the mod can decide where they go.......(of the wives ,gf,random hoes}

"Clicks but won't start" sounds like starter.

If your wife doesn't like the look of the cruiser now wait until you have it leaking oil in the garage alongside a lot of greasy, rusted parts. Add the lovely smell of carb cleaner and PB Blaster and you will discover just how much your wife really loves you. :cheers:

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom