1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst Implementation of Technology?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by NorCalDoug, Jul 20, 2005.

1. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

What can you come up with for dumb implementations of technology?

At my work, they installed those electronic motion detecting flushers on the urinals and the toilets. On the urinals, they're cool -- finish, move away and it flushes. However, on the toilets, if you get up to wipe, it flushes prematurely. Then after you're done cleaning up, you need to flush again to get rid of the paper. But now you have to push the button on the top to manually flush since the sensor can't tell you're still there.

DUMB.

Other stuff? How about this hat with a solar panel to power a fan in the bill...who the hell actually wears that crap?

2. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

3. lingo

lingo

4. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess I'd first have to ask for what your definition of 'technology' is Doug? That's a pretty wide field to play with. But if we are going with the 'common' lay understanding of technology as those innovations, products, developments that come from the fields of applied R & D, and generally 'science' then I would go with the following:

Nuclear Weapons.

Timed lights that do not change timing based on traffic flow and time of day.

Surveillence society.

Cookies.

PHH ;)

5. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I was thinking more of little things a person runs across during his/her day. Things that someone somewhere probably said, "wow, this would be a great idea..." but no, it's just dumb.

Like how so many cars in the late 1980s had verbal warnings -- "door is ajar" "lights are on" stuff like that.

Or like kids shoes with lights that come on when they're walking. I remember some of the early versions of these had poor wiring that could burn the bottoms of kids' feet.

6. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

The Voyager 1 space craft. I'd rather they didn't know anyone was home ...

TY

7. swank60

swank60

Oh, now... every little boy should have a pair of shoes that light up. It seems like kind of a dumb idea until you see your own kid put on a pair, jump up and down and laugh his ass off at the lights (well, unless your kid is 20 years old...then, ah, not so much.)

Only think I can come up with off the top of my head are those greeting cards they used to sell that, when you opened them, played a tune over and over on what sounded like the speaker from a wrist watch... (anyone remember "Tippy Turtle" from SNL back in the 80s??? :D )

8. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

9. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Too many credit reporting agencies. Transunion, Equifax, Experian, etc... Why? :mad:

10. crholliday

crholliday Frisbeetarianist

11. mabrodis

mabrodis

Pay at the pump things at gas stations, I love the convenience but some are too dang slow...they want you to push a button for outside or inside pay, then push a button for credit or debit, then carwash yes or no, then receipt yes or no, then press the grade of gas you want, then...MOVE IT, the chick in the BMW is getting away, need gas now! :D

I like those sensor things in the bathroom, although they rarely work right, the automatic soap dispensers are shooting soap out while I'm washing my hand, then the papertowel one is very slow to deal out any, while the soap is piling up and a few empty urnals are flushing away...nice.. :D

Electronic credit-card readers at stores, the type where you sign with the electronic pen on the screen, they work great, but they never check a signature, I know this because I've never been checked and I never sign anything that would be considered any signature (although legally would probably still standup because I actually did write it), but I took the advice of a old thread here of signing whatever on those (and paper ones too), so I draw fishes, houses, squares, wavy lines, sometimes just dots, I drew a tiger once, I actually had one girl at Walmart last night look at the signature, chuckle and then hand me the receipt...I guess that's not a mis-use of technology it's technology replacing the act of checking your ID...I've had a few other customers see what I was doing, they all started laughing, it's more fun at restaurants though, you have more time and can be really creative, I drew a whole city once... :D

12. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Yeah, those stupid headlights that turn off after so long when the car is turned off. WTF kind of stupid gimik is that? Just wire the headlights to the ignition switch so that when the ignition is turned off the lights go off. DUH! Easy to do a little switch to keep the lights on when you need them left on (my mom's 88 Subaru had such a system). Or just leave them so they stay on until the switch is turned off, if the battery drains it drains...

13. swank60

swank60

I think cubicle suck. Is carpeted fiber board considered techmology?

14. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

C'mon at least .0345% of the time folks are walking dead along those beams .. security at a fraction of the sense .. :rolleyes:

TY

15. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

The entire line of Caddilac motorcars from 1975 on, with special hatred for the 80s.

16. Rice

Rice

Media:
    Albums:
    5.7 Liter GM Diesel

The Vega

Solar powered flashlights

Restrictor plates

That stuff you can spray on your head that looks like hair.

reality TV

Screen savers for cell phones (just plain dumb)

"Check yourself out" lines in the food store

17. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    yes I love technology, but not as much as you you see......

we met in a chat room.........that's where our love bloomed......

always and forever, always and forever.

CELL PHONES SUCK DICK.

18. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry to mention this Doug, but it does beckon further investigation. Who gets "up" to wipe? I think this needs pictures!

19. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Non Stick Pans. Bs!

20. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

If you just shift enough to get your angle right :D the thing flushes with such force it flash floods your ass :mad: