Worse real time help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I get to the drivers side after a lunch and find some bad news. I can tell right away after I take the caliper off there is trouble. The whole rotor assembly would move in and out about an inch. Maybe a little less. Pop the cap off, and find that one of the large retaining nuts(54 MM) is LAYING in there. Not even threaded on anymore. The other was still on, but loose. Got everything off, and there are no metal shards or anything, but the axle stub sticking out can be moved in and out a little under and inch and will move in all directions enough to contact the spindle. This doesnt seem right to me. Blown inner bearing or what? Thanks in advance.

So....the snap ring thats on the outside under the dustcap and the 54 mm nuts should retain everything stiff and there(without looking yourself) doesnt seem to be anything to alarmed about?

It was missing the snapring on this side, and since the inner nuts were loose that could account for the play. I just didnt notice it on the other side so it made me nervous. This is the long side though so I suppose it would be more apt to move.

Ill slap it back together tight and see what I think. Thanks

skyshark186 said:
So....the snap ring thats on the outside under the dustcap and the 54 mm nuts should retain everything stiff and there(without looking yourself) doesnt seem to be anything to alarmed about?

It was missing the snapring on this side, and since the inner nuts were loose that could account for the play. I just didnt notice it on the other side so it made me nervous. This is the long side though so I suppose it would be more apt to move.

Ill slap it back together tight and see what I think. Thanks

Not having the snap ring is a problem but the outer axle does have a little play inside of the spindle. I can't see that that really caused the retaining to to come loose
The snap ring will keep things on, but in no way does the snapo ring keep things "tight." As I am sure you know spindle bolts to the steering knuckle which is machined to accept the roll of the inner and outer bearings of the hub. This came close to happening on my 100 series.

It then goes outer bearing, washer (with tab to key on the groove of the spindle), retaining nut, star washer (with tab to key on the groove of the spindle), then spindle lock nut, flange, snap ring, bla bla bla.

Best things I think could have happened is you or whoever did the last bearing repack/birf job (1) did not tighten the retaining nuts to spec, (2) the tabs of the star washer were not bent onto both the retaining nut and retianing lock nut, (3) The star washer was old, bent up, etc . and did not seat the lock nut tightly against retaining nut-thus not providing the proper directional force to stabilize the minimal torque spec of the retaining nut as the small dents/bends of the star washer worked themselves flat over time.

I only say this as movement of the axle itself within the spindle does not affect the bearing pre-load in any way shape or form. But you may have gotten lucky with the bearing. I believe there is only one step down in machining along the spindle-so I doubt the bearing backed off onto an uneaven surface. But if you're there-change the bearing anyway for that "I feel so great its better" feeling.

For me, on the 100, I have NO idea what happened-the tab locking to the groove of the spindle sheard away and spun slightly into the threads :censor: !. I cant imagine that a bad bearing caused this as to back off the retaining nuts with rotational force it would follow that the tab of the spacer between bearing and retaining nut would be sheared or in general would be moving-which all was good and so was the bearing.

Last edited:
Ok.....Thanks for that.

I checked the bearing and for the life of me I cant find anything wrong with it. Nothing on the spindle to make me think it wore. I think I caught it before anything happened.

The PO replaced the seal on the outside of the knuckle just before he shipped the truck to me, and must have done something wrong when tightening the retaining nuts. The spindle lock nut came off completely and wore itself smooth agains the inside of the flange. Ill have to get another. The washer that holds the bearing in was on the outside of the whole assembly, rather than right next to the bearing as it should have been. I think this dillema was the result of improper assembly, and not the parts themselves.

Sigh....my drivers side caliper pistons are froze, and the boots around them are torn to shreads. Time for a rebuilt one I guess. :doh:

skyshark186 said:
The washer that holds the bearing in was on the outside of the whole assembly, rather than right next to the bearing as it should have been.

Improper assembly; check the PS to be sure it wasn't messed up also.

-B-

Slap it back together with a bearing repack/seals. Also, try to squirt/jam as much grease into the space between the axle and inner spindle bushing as you can. I't's tight, and if you can't do much, pull the spindle and correctly grease it. I have a feeling it's not been properly greased as well.

DougM

Did the PO not tell you it needed a new drive flange ? He told me it did.....

Not terribly pricey IIRC.

skyshark186 said:
Cant say he did. :rolleyes:

Dude, either he was really not forth-coming about the truck, or you need to learn to ask more questions when buying!

sorry man... first the winch... then this... hopefully there will be no more surprises.

FWIW- he told me it would be OK for light wheeling, but would need to be replaced before any serious wheeling. Whatever that meant... wheelin is subjective.

Did you get those new panels on yet?

skyshark186 said:
It was assembled properly. Koyo in the PS, USA in the DS.

If the star washer is installed and staked properly, the 54mm nuts can not come off regardless of what kind of bearings are installed. Like 'B' said... improper assembly.

I asked several time what if anything was wrong with the truck. I got a, "nothing got it into the shop and got er all fixed" :rolleyes:

Also said it had new brakes all the way around, but the front was so bad the drivers side caliper is froze and needs replaced. All in the realm of buying an older used car I guess.

The guy Im getting the doors from is coming close in Jan....and Im in no big hurry to get them done till then. So thats when they will be on.

I was meaning that the passenger side was on properly. The drivers side was all fawkered up. I didnt mean that the bearing had anything to do with it, but that when he redid the seal he put a new one in that side and the USA was it. Dont know that that actually means anything, but he didnt get the stuff behind the bearing properly assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom