Worn suspension bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1992 FJ80 w/ original suspension bushings and approx 175K miles on odometer. What are the symptoms of worn out leading arm bushings vs worn out front lateral rod bushings? I’ve got some wobble at highway speed when slightly turning steering wheel and front suspension feels dead. Coil springs are original. Shocks are fairly new. Doesn’t wander too badly on highway, but does a little.

I'm curious about what answers you get on the bushings. New definitely makes a difference in feel from what I've heard, but a bunch of work to do that I'd have to get someone else to do.

On your coils, if OEM then new coils will definitely improve ride and responsiveness. These are relatively low-hanging fruits compared to the bushings. The trickiest part with adding new coils is getting the rear shocks off the mounts to let everything droop enough to get the coils out then back in, but if your shocks are recent then not so much a worry.

I'm curious about what answers you get on the bushings. New definitely makes a difference in feel from what I've heard, but a bunch of work to do that I'd have to get someone else to do.

On your coils, if OEM then new coils will definitely improve ride and responsiveness. These are relatively low-hanging fruits compared to the bushings. The trickiest part with adding new coils is getting the rear shocks off the mounts to let everything droop enough to get the coils out then back in, but if your shocks are recent then not so much a worry.
I changed the leading arms on my 97 to Delta arms that already had OEM bushings pressed in. Was not much fun- did it in dead of Indiana winter on my freezing garage floor. Woke up sore the next day and blew out a blood vessel in my eye. That truck has 2” lift and had OME caster bushings. The caster bushings were crap and were failing and I only had about 1* of pos caster. The Deltas with new bushings made a world of difference on that truck- drives like a new vehicle / doesn’t wander. Now I’ve got the old leading arms from that truck and just need to get OEM bushings pressed in and I’ll throw those on the 92. I’m curious to hear what others respond with to my message shown above.

My experience with my (wife's) rig is that it is totally worth the cost and effort to go through ALL of the suspension bushings on your ride. Picked ours up with 168,00 miles 2 years ago. Installed a 2.5" OME kit, and all 26 (?) bushings shortly after, because there was still a lot of 'wiggle' driving down the washboard road we live on. It made all the difference in the world. I worked in pairs, and would drive to see what noticeable effect it had as I progressed. Was still unsettled until most everything was replaced. Every piece of rubber that came out LOOKED like it needed to be replaced. (Yeah, these rigs are getting old!) I did use the Slee offset castor bushings, but will eventually replace with brackets and OEM rubber. It is really nice to drive a rig that FEELS like a newer rig, because of the new rubber. It also reduced quite a few rattles in the cab...
... just my 2 pennies.

Cheers!

Thanks Corbet. When changing front panhard bushings is it as easy as unbolting the bar and pressing out old and pressing in new or do I need to support the frame of the truck with stands before removal?

I was getting a wobble around 30-40 that seemed to be from the panhard bushings. Getting the panhard out was easy. I didn’t support anything but it would probably be a good idea. Pressing the bushings out was the hardest part. New ones went in ok.
When my radius arm bushings were shot, they didn’t seem to affect as much as the panhard bushings being bad.

Thanks Corbet. When changing front panhard bushings is it as easy as unbolting the bar and pressing out old and pressing in new or do I need to support the frame of the truck with stands before removal?

Pretty much. As long as it’s parked on level ground it shouldn’t shift around to much. I’ve never supported mine when removing. But I have adjustable panards to recenter at ride height. If you’re lifted with an OEM panhard it will shift a little. Should be able to re-install with a helper.

Pressing bushings is easy if you have a press. You can use a socket of similar size but I much prefer the Wits’ End press kit. Bushing Press Tool- KIT

You don't have to press the old bushings out. You can burn or drill the rubber and hack saw the outer sleeve. They peel out easy enough that way. I did it both ways. Press out is more fun and cut out is more safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom