Worn steering wheel repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Search for this question yielded results about replacing or re-wrapping the steering wheel. I'm curious about repair. Here's what I'm dealing with:

IMG_20200214_121246.jpg

Anyone found any solutions for repairing/painting/sealing rubbed out leather like this? At minimum I'd like to stop it from spreading.

Search for this question yielded results about replacing or re-wrapping the steering wheel. I'm curious about repair. Here's what I'm dealing with:

Anyone found any solutions for repairing/painting/sealing rubbed out leather like this? At minimum I'd like to stop it from spreading.

Yes, you can definitely refinish this. Not sure how it will hold long-term, but:

Get #942 dye - this is brown steering wheel
Get some TriClean to prep leather. It's like mild acetone/etc but will make existing paint "sticky" and ready for a new coat. It will also clean it well.
Optionally get some clear coat with HiWear additive to supposedly make it last longer

This will cost you probably close to $100 shipped

I did use their products to completely repaint/dye car seats in my old BMW. It held up well. But steering wheel is another level of abuse. Also, what you have peeled is just a factory paint.

Other than that- if it's not smooth after TriClean - you can use some fine sandpaper to even it out. I would paint whole thing. So, mask appropriately and go ahead.

I would do that for my wheel but I have far more damage to leather so I opted for a new leather.

Thank you katit!! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Once I finish I may update this thread in case anyone else is dealing with this issue.

I used this. It has lasted really well for the last six months or so.

Also it looks like Dye #2133 may be what I need (06' LX).
#2133 looks like light color (not trim color)
Anyways. I gave you color they matched for my 2001. In my case - I sent them piece of leather to match and they told me to try
#942 - brown (steering wheel)
#88 - taupe (seats)

Yours might differ.. Also I have late steering wheel (from 2002+?) with buttons and it's same color leather but no perforation, see last page of topic in my sig.

I had Dallas Custom Steering Wheel recover mine a few years back. Great work that has lasted. Highly recommended.

I had Dallas Custom Steering Wheel recover mine a few years back. Great work that has lasted. Highly recommended.

I also had mine done by Dallas Custom. And I had my Supra wheel done in Alcantara by them.

IMO, if you want something that lasts more than a few years, your money is best spent on a professional recover (or one of the ebay wheels). A good recover will look and feel absolutely showroom new and will last another 10-15 years. The dyes and repair kits are fine for very superficial fixes for a temporary period, but if it costs close to $100 and takes a bit of craftsmanship to do well, I'd really suggest considering the full recover.

Touched it up this morning. By no means a professional job, but I'm actually very pleased with the result. The new paint is slightly lighter than the original, but it's really not noticeable and the pictures exaggerate the difference.

IMG_20200222_104057.jpg

IMG_20200222_124747.jpg

IMG_20200222_124331.jpg

One of my 80's needed a refresh on the steering wheel and shifter. Spoke with Dallas and Craft Customs. Went with the latter based on turnaround time and price.

The quality of the work was excellent.

20200222_142509.jpg

Been looking at them. Any chance you could post a photo of the finished work? And what was the approximate cost?

Went ahead and just painted the rest of it to match.
IMG_20200223_125742.jpg

Fair warning to anyone who uses the trip clean prep cleaner, be careful with where you use it. I had some faint over spray on the black instrument cluster that houses my vent/mirror/RSCA controls. Put some triclean on a rag to wipe off and it started to pull the white paint off the buttons. Luckily I noticed it before I did any real damage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom