Worn ignition tumbler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crick60

Mr Crick
Threads
Has anyone actually changed out their ignition tumbler with a new one and matched the codes?

I've found a few topics here but not one that someone has posted the process.

My key slips out in any position, I'm getting the new key matched from Toyota shortly but rego inspection is fast approaching and I want to cover all bases.

I'm in a HJ60 so no electrical BS locking involved.

Thanks

This was always the first thing to do when buying an older Mercedes - once the tumbler failed, it was tons of work to cut it out of the column.

Did you look in the FSM? Usually, put the key in, turn to ACC, insert a pin in the hole, and slide it out. But I have not done it on this vehicle, or mine.

Did you call the dealership to see if they have a match based on your VIN code?

Hey Crick, I think Johnny's got it...

Might be slightly different on the HJ60 over the US FJ60, but here's a link that shows different places where that release button might be based on model:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/89-fj62-ignition-cylinder-iam-just-not-getting-it.543451/

So, something like:
1) insert key
2) turn to ACC
3) insert paper clip into that hole where the release button is to depress that button
4) rotate key back to Off
5) cylinder should slide out...

Yeah I'm good on getting the barrel out but the whole coding scenario I'm not sure about.
Maybe something I have to speak with the dealership about.

I just don't know if the barrel is generic and the dealer codes the tumbler or if they're even still available and not $1,000,000.

Yeah I'm good on getting the barrel out but the whole coding scenario I'm not sure about.
Maybe something I have to speak with the dealership about.

I just don't know if the barrel is generic and the dealer codes the tumbler or if they're even still available and not $1,000,000.

Hmm...I see. Yeah, I'm not sure about that one either. Maybe Beno knows how that works. I just bought a used set of locks w/ keys and swapped out all the old locks on the rig...

I can get this part but I don't really want to change the coding from the original key and suffice to say I don't want to change the door locks.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301116419148

Right, because more than likely, it's not the cylinder housing that's the problem...it's the business end of each tumbler and their springs that are probably fatigued...so even if you swapped those old tumblers and springs (without loosing them...ask me how I know...) into a new cylinder housing....and cut a new key...it won't help you much if those tumblers and springs aren't worn out...

Have you already tried a new key to see how it works in the existing tumbler/cylinder set up?

lock cross section.jpg

Wouldn't a lock smith be able to match new springs/tumblers to a key? If you got a new key and took the new key and cylinder to a competent lock smith, shouldn't they have the gear to make the tumblers fit the key?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.
"Competent" may be the hard thing.

Ive taken used key cylinders to a lock smith before and had them keyed to my existing keys I dont think it would be any different. Last one I did I paid 40 dollars for

I got a new barrel here from toyota was actually cheaper than getting the lock smith to repin it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom