worn axle housing PIC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Threads
While rebuilding my knucles, I noticed some wear and grooving in the housings. (see arrow)

Is this normal? How should it be addressed?
fj40 toyota front end 026.jpg
fj40 toyota front end 028.jpg

This happens when the snap ring on the end of birf is not used . The snap ring that you see when you pull locking hub off , right on the end , it should be there , if not then that is what caused the marks. It is not a problem mine was like that too. You can leave snap ring off when you put it together just to test , while rotating birf slide it in like 1/8 in. and you will start to feel it bumping where you saw those marks. Then reinstall snap ring . This just gives you a good feel for how little it slides in to start making that contact.

Looks exactly like mine after we ground them out to fit a mini truck birfield. If you want to upgrad your halfway there.

Re: the picture in guistou's post:

When grinding to create clearance for the bigger birfs, there is no need to grind on the far side of the bearing hole. That is, you should only grind the lip between you and the hole. No grinding on the "differential side" of the hole.

Mr. Toad said:
Re: the picture in guistou's post:

When grinding to create clearance for the bigger birfs, there is no need to grind on the far side of the bearing hole. That is, you should only grind the lip between you and the hole. No grinding on the "differential side" of the hole.

Ditto, NO grinding on the other side of the opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom