1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World series

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bwbski26, Aug 24, 2006.

1. bwbski26

bwbski26

i want to see a subway series world series. i would love that. anyone else feel that way?

2. 2ndGenToyotaFan

2ndGenToyotaFan Ice-Bound Moderator

Mmmmmmmmm subway....... aaaaaghhhhhh

[​IMG]

Wait, baseball? That's boring! :D

3. WagonsRule

WagonsRule

No. I certainly don't feel that way. More importantly, MLB and Fox cannot feel that way after the terrible ratings generated by the last NYM/NYY series. And if the tv network doesn't like it, it ain't happening.

Truth is though that the Mets look to be the best team in the NL, but the Yankees do not have the pitching to win 2 post season series.

4. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    I had enough in 2000...

5. Jman

Jman

The Tigers deserve a shot. I want to see them in the Series.

But what do the networks have to do with who gets into the Series? That's wack.

6. WagonsRule

WagonsRule

It's all about the ratings. More so in baseball than any other sport. They always manage to get at least on huge market team in the Series every year. I know what you're thinking. Mets/Yankees would be 2 teams from the single biggest market in the country. When they matched up in 2000, I was certain that it would be the most watched Series ever, and MLB would figure out a way to get rematches at least every other year. For some reason though,that Series bombed. It turned out to be one of the least watched ones ever. Go figure. I don't think we'll see that one again for a while.

I'm sure that Bud Selig and his lackies are trying to figure out how to get a Bos/NYY ALCS as we speak. That's pure gold right there. It will take some real creativity on MLB's part to make it happen though, because Boston's pitching is awful.

As for Detroit, I'm expecting them to fade. Nothing against them, but with their lack of experience, and the White Sox and Twins coming on strong, I think Det misses the playoffs. Definitely a 1st round loser if they do get in.

7. Jman

Jman

Mets/Yankees alienates the left coast. And their audiences overlap. Dodgers/Yankees or Detroit/Mets would do well.

Now, as far as how "they" always manage to get a huge market team into the series, it works like this: huge market teams have money, money buys talent, talent gets you in. As much as they'd like to control the outcomes, they don't--the teams on the field decide who goes and who stays home.

And, I can assure you, you don't know what I'm thinking. . . .

8. WagonsRule

WagonsRule

Absolutely. There are ways to get around that though. The NFL and NBA have both done it with true revenue sharing and salary caps. The fact that MLB has not taken those steps makes it patently obvious to me that the current system is how they want it. You said it yourself...talent gets you in. MLB has done nothing to try to prevent 4 or 5 teams from hoarding all the top talent. Unsurprisingly, those same 4 or 5 teams are in the playoffs every season. That is about as close as you can get to controlling the outcomes.

9. Darwood

Darwood

I'd like to see Detroit, if anything just to make Magnum happy.

[​IMG]

10. WagonsRule

WagonsRule

LOL

We all want to see Magnum happy. You know that show was cancelled about 20 years ago, right?

11. Darwood

Darwood

It wasn't cancelled, they just ended it. You can't cancel Magnum P.I. :D

Besides what has Detroit done since that show first came on the air. This year could be their year. :bounce:

Ok I guess there was the 1984 worlds series, but Magnum has been sad ever since then.

12. Urrrk

Urrrk

Media:
    Albums:
    If the Mariners ain't playing, I don't care.

So odds are, I will be watching football in October.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">