World Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RUSH55

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,
I heard Coast to Coast last night and got this website http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ . It paints a pretty grim picture, but its good to at least be aware of a worst case scenario. RHINO, I'm sure you're having deja-vu.
Sorry this isn't directly a Cruiser thing, but when one of our favorite hobbies includes gas and oil, the relation becomes more intimate.

Anyone who wants help converting their rigs to biodiesel and synthetic lubes, lemme know. :)
Oil crash? Who cares? :D

we all still use oil to lubricate our engines !!!
bio-motor oil would be nice
bet someones researching it right now

Our job as human consumers is to burn as much oil as we can as fast as we can. Once the oil is gone we will then be forced to get into new ideas, less plastic, less fossil derived products. New alloys, new fuels, less travel...

If your not doing your part to burn more fuel, get another FJ40 and leave it running

Just for the hell of it last night at work, in about an hour I came up with 46 general applications and 16 entire industries that are completely dependent on oil and petroleum based products. Mind you, this was stuff pretty much off the top of my head, and this did not include plastic products.
I also remember hearing a guy say that America alone on average drinks 10,000 gal. of gasoline a second! Which comes in at around 4.3 billion gallons a year (I think; my calculator doesn't go that high) And I don't think that includes diesel, which in itself I'm sure is a pretty astonishing number.
But as far as the industries and our economic infrastructure, it's all inter-related, and when the junk does hit the fan, the dominoe effect will be hard to ignore, especially considering that not much in the form of preparing is being done now to help out. We have hybrid cars coming out, but what about heavy machinery, or these commercial trucks getting 5 mpg? I know right now, huge fleets aren't being too much affected, but talk to any owner/operator, they'll tell you fuel prices now are bitin' em in the ass.

there is a video documentery that just came out called
The Oil factor: behind the war on terror it ca be ordered at www.freewillprod.com
it exposes many things that arent being covered buy the media and brakes down all the figures
you can also watch parts of it at www.democracynow.org it aired on friday oct 22 webcast you can go to their site and still see it

Yeah there's some good books out too. Craig Unger's House of Bush..., and Vidal Gore's Dreaming War. I know Gore's book doesn't give any solution based ideas about the oil problem, he's just more or less a political critic. I would like to find some books that are based on solutions. Have any ideas DSM?
Heard a good joke the other night; Let's make this a sex-free election - No Dick, no Bush!

dogstarmessenger said:
we all still use oil to lubricate our engines !!!
bio-motor oil would be nice
bet someones researching it right now

Rudlph's original working motors were run on, and lubricated by, peanut oil.
Over 100 years ago.
Of course, they redlined in the double digits. :D

can you imagine the amount of peanuts farmers would have to grow if that was the new fuel standard??
this is an interesting read, i take it like ALL news i read, about half what its worth. i dont think there will be an oil outage for a long long time. too much money in it, but at some point soon alternative engines and fuels are gonna hafta step it up and start becoming more available and popular. im sure governmental politics is holding it back quite a bit. i would love to put a fuel cell under the hood and electric motors on the 3rd's.

Hmmm, sounds interesting... I wonder what kind of factual data that author has to back some of the claims he makes. It does make you question the validity of the original theory that oil is/was made from decayed organic matter, especially when you consider the trillions upon trillions of gallons they've pumped out of the middle east. I mean if you try to visualize it, how big of a body of liquid is a trillion gallons, or several trillion gallons. And if you only get so much of an amount of crude made by a such and such size plant, how many quadrillion units of organic matter would it take to form those trillions of gallons. Then consider where they're pumping this oil, Saudi Arabia, Iraq.....total deserts which were supposedly covered in ocean at sometime. I myself would like to see the geography and geology personally so I could see the evidence that backs the ocean theory. If that kind of data can be shown to be true, then you could hypothesize several things. You could buy mainstream science's theory that over the eons the movement of the contenents thru plate tectonics moved these regions from an ocean environment to a desert. Or perhaps something actually happened, a cataclysm like a pole shift, deluge, or massive asteroid. Or it could be something altogether different, as that author suggests.
But yeah, there's definitely alot of money tied up in the whole business; too much. And when you have these 2nd and 3rd world countries moving up and industrializing, there's gonna be a whole hell of alot more competition. When there's alot of competition coming from the demand side, the supply side is the one calling all the shots. And when the supply side and demand side are having a real shaky relationship, that supply side will tend to give the better deals to those they're friendly with.

Let me solve all of your problems (fuel, lube, food, and fabrics) with one word.

HEMP!

Do a simple google search and read for a week. Then go vote for a Democrat.
You can thank me later.

RHINO said:
can you imagine the amount of peanuts farmers would have to grow if that was the new fuel standard??

Let's have all the government-subsidized tobacco farmers switch to peanuts.
That'd put alot of peanuts in the presses. :D

Rush55 doth sayeth:
"Hmmm, sounds interesting... I wonder what kind of factual data that author has to back some of the claims he makes. It does make you question the validity of the original theory that oil is/was made from decayed organic matter........"

I have a hard time believing that there is no more "primordial" oil being made under our feet as we speak. These geologic patterns didn't stop eons ago and won't stop until well after the last bipedal hominid goes room temperature. I was taught in my public edumacation that the oil was created once long ago and then what we got is all we got. Just looking at the renewal patterns of just about everything on this planet and the known universe shows that nature repeats itself over and over.

As far as the supply side creating a demand market, a good example of that is DeBeers marketing diamonds (and controlling most of the supply) as rare and scarce (not exactly so). That is, until, the Russians and Canadians found their kimberlite tubes.

Last edited:
BMAN said:
Let me solve all of your problems (fuel, lube, food, and fabrics) with one word.

HEMP!

Do a simple google search and read for a week. Then go vote for a Democrat.
You can thank me later.

Shouldn't that be vote for a Liberatarian?

<Self edited redundancy.> :doh:

rt said:
Shouldn't that be vote for a Liberatarian?

Prolly, but ain't no Libbies gettin in office any time soon. The next best step today is as far from from the religious right as possable and although not far enough ... it's a step.

Some of you might think that I'm some pot smokin tree huggin commy hippy freak for even bringing up the subject, but Hemp just makes sense.

The uses for the stuff are just amazing. Literally, 101 or more positive things that can be done with hemp. But I don't think using hemp oil as a fuel source has been considered much, but of course the most natural stuff is overlooked because it can't be pattented. And when it is exploited, it's usually under the guise of some corporate gluttony, like Foster Farms Chicken. Maybe they should consider making a fuel out of pig s*** like the idea John Travolta had in Phenomenon. As long as corporate Pork keeps pumping out the crap, there'll be an endless supply. Then they could actually do something with it instead of having it putrefy in huge pig s*** cess pools, like what's described in Al Franken's book - Lies, and the Lying Lyars Who Tell Them - when he describes the pig s*** geysers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom