Workshop Extension and Updates (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My apologies, I did mean to the workshop. I didn't realize that those images for the post through the knee wall was inside the original workshop.

This one shows the column ready to be put in place. I slipped a piece of rubber roofing under the shingles to keep the rain out.

72-jpg.1300377

And then with the column in place and the beam sitting on it:
81-jpg.1300393

This one shows the column ready to be put in place. I slipped a piece of rubber roofing under the shingles to keep the rain out.

72-jpg.1300377

81-jpg.1300393

Gotcha, the installed column has a pocket for the ridge beam. Don't know why that didn't click the first time you put that pic up.

Thanks for explaining to me!!

For a wood beam, you pretty much need a beam seat so that you can fasten into the sides of the beam. Steel you just have a top plate that bolts through the bottom flange.

We’ve had a warm spell this past week, so we were getting the painting finished up on the addition and changing the original workshop over to match the house. Unfortunately, it’s now turned cold and wet again, so we’ll have to see whether we get any chances to finish things up.

IMG_1597.JPG

Not sure what’s going on with the images not showing up (post #141 & #143). If I go to edit #141, the images show up in the edit window and show up when I save from the edit window. Reload the page and they’re back to red x’s.

72-jpg.1300377

81-jpg.1300393

they show up when I quote this message.....

With the warmer weather and a bit of extra time, I finally got the interior wall of the original shop buttoned back up.

With the column being a bit “thicker” than a 2x4, I butted 1/2” drywall up to either side of it (the original drywall is all 5/8”), fastened expanded metal lath over it and the column, and then plastered over everything to blend it all in. It did make for more sanding, but fortunately I have a Porter Cable drywall sander in my arsenal. After the primer and paint dried, I hung the storage cabinet back up and got things a bit more organized once again.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.JPG

A bit more progress. I picked up some pallet racking off craigslist and am getting it cleaned up and repainted to go in the back corner for storage of heavier items to get them off the floor.

Finishing up paint on some of the horizontals:
IMG_1928.JPG

Two of the uprights back in the corner - with the racking in place I’ll finish up the ceiling back there too:
IMG_1930.JPG

We finally had a sunny day that wasn’t scheduled full of other things, so I was able to move stuff out to the driveway and the pallet racks are all in place. Now I just have to finish the ceiling; put the light back in; clean up, paint, and put in a few more horizontals; and then move everything back into place and get things organized.

IMG_2055.JPG

Last edited:
I was able to squeeze in a bit more work this weekend. My girlfriend and I were able to put together the floor panels for the pallet racking and then finished up insulating the ceiling, put up the ceiling panels, and got the light back up. Now I just have to get to work sorting things out and getting them up on the racks so that I have some more floor room to work.

IMG_2147.JPG

I should note that the pallet racks weren’t originally planned, but they fit in there like the space was designed for them. I designed and built this portion of the shop back in the late ‘90s, so I must have been doing something right when I put it together. The last bay between the beam and the exterior wall is just the width for two pallet racks, the stairs are the width of one pallet rack, and from the back wall to the face of the stairs is just the length of two pallet racks.

The pallet rack uprights were three “segments” tall (crossbars and diagonal braces), so I had to cut a “segment” off to fit my ceiling height - but that one segment brought them to the perfect height. I also had to cut the one upright under the stair a bit more to get it to fit in. That was the only “non-modular” alteration.

Last edited:
Added a couple folding steps to the pallet rack to make it easier to get to things.

Steps.png

I scored this week and upgraded my parts washer. I’ve been using one of the standard basin ones with a lid like this:
washer.jpg

It does the job, but I’ve spent a lot of time standing there scrubbing at things and wishing there was a better way. Well, actually, I knew there was a better way from some of the shops I’ve worked in, but they’ve always been priced well above my pay grade.

So I happened to see this on that guy’s list the end of last week:
IMG_2335.JPG

It’s a CUDA 2530 front load automatic parts washer. If you want more details, this is the brochure: http://www.wet-inc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Cuda_FrontLoad.pdf

This one presented itself at a price that I just couldn’t refuse - practically pennies on the dollar sort of price. Christmas came early this year!

WOW. That's awesome!! 500# turntable load capacity for your model. Jealous!

Thanks! It just goes to show that being persistent about things usually works out.

Well, I spent the weekend playing a combination of the missing tile game and tetris, but managed to get the parts washer into the workshop. I still have to move a few things around to get it into its final resting place, though.

math-game-1.png
classic-tetris-logo.png

I finally got it into place this weekend, but I still need to do some work to it before it is ready for use. One thing is that the casters on it are fixed - so it will only move forward and back. With how I have it set up, I need to move it side to side to pull it out from behind the blasting cabinet when it is in use (or when I need to load something into the blasting cabinet). The tray on the left side folds down and I can use that separately for light cleaning without moving anything.

Then I just have to clean it all up, replace some seals, and go over it to check everything else out before filling it up.

I also have to find a new home for the 40’ extension ladder that is currently behind it and also finish insulating the ceiling and put up the metal panels like I did over the pallet rack.

IMG_2342.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom