Working to finish up 12v Aux System, and have a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Potential problem there, as that is directly against the A/C recirculate intake grill (directly to the left of the battery in your photo) and if I remember correctly, the actual intake doesn’t extend forward of that even though the grill shapes imply that they do. You do not want to restrict air flow at that intake. I would suggest you consider the other side, or see if you can do anything g other than be fully flush with that left panel grill.

That thought crossed my mind, but I just assumed enough of it was unobstructed as to do no harm. Now I'm compelled to take a closer look. I hadn't considered the other side, but I can't think of any reason why it couldn't go over there. I need to think about how I want to lay out my 12v management devices that will mount to the forward face of the drawers. This is where the fuse block, HAM, BCDC, fuses and inverter will all be mounted.

I use this k-cup single cup coffee maker that draws 800w. Great for portable travel use.

Amazon product ASIN B016UO0I9W
That is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Still feels like cheating, but as I get older I don't care. I just want my coffee without making it a production.

That thought crossed my mind, but I just assumed enough of it was unobstructed as to do no harm. Now I'm compelled to take a closer look. I hadn't considered the other side, but I can't think of any reason why it couldn't go over there. I need to think about how I want to lay out my 12v management devices that will mount to the forward face of the drawers. This is where the fuse block, HAM, BCDC, fuses and inverter will all be mounted.

Do take a closer look.
IIRC, when I took that full side panel off, the tubes behind that grill that for the actual intake did not extend forward as the plastic molded grill lines sugges, but was really limited to a smaller tube opening directly beside you battery.

Unless you can create a gap in front of that intake, I think this invites problems... :(

For my own education, what kind of problems would I be tempting fate with? Strain on the AC unit or reduced output? Is that the only intake? Last thing I want to do is damage the AC!

Unless you can create a gap in front of that intake, I think this invites problems... :(
479AD40C-CE42-41F8-86D4-C3C232B1F9AB.png

880B1344-7936-4356-AE4D-E17DEF2117B4.jpeg

For my own education, what kind of problems would I be tempting fate with? Strain on the AC unit or reduced output? Is that the only intake? Last thing I want to do is damage the AC!

They put that big intake tube in there for a reason. :) Also, there is a partner unit back in that corner that the AC relies on.

After a dusty trail or 5....look in there, and you’ll see where dusty air has been pulled in at that intake. This means it suck major air in right there.

Honestly suggest you seek an alternative.

See how the forward grill shape portion is not actually open?

Also, have a look at the tube those open slats feed. There is a tube that pushes up against the grill on the inside in wall, behind the grill).

I don’t claim certainty here, but that you should check...

See how the grill shape portion forward is not actually open?

Also, have a look at the tube those open slats feed. There is a tube that pushes up against the grill on the inside.

I don’t claim certainty here, but that you should check...

This is why you are among my most trusted and appreciated advisors on MUD! I'll dig into it and see what I can come up with. There isn't really anywhere else to put the battery so I would have to look at completely different options. I really want to stick with LiPo and didn't want to have to go with a 2 battery bank. Looks like I've got a sweaty afternoon ahead of me. I'm going to have to buy a new house so I can have an air-conditioned garage with a tall enough door to get the rig inside. This working in 105f heat is getting old.

This is why you are among my most trusted and appreciated advisors on MUD! I'll dig into it and see what I can come up with. There isn't really anywhere else to put the battery so I would have to look at completely different options. I really want to stick with LiPo and didn't want to have to go with a 2 battery bank. Looks like I've got a sweaty afternoon ahead of me. I'm going to have to buy a new house so I can have an air-conditioned garage with a tall enough door to get the rig inside. This working in 105f heat is getting old.

Full disclosure to @TheGrrrrr ... Thanks for kind words..
Bit know in advance that I am also limited in my depth on a number of topics, and I often refer questions to others here who I look to for those areas. :) I’m not a “mechanic” and many here truly are.

But anyway—What I did with that same space was put my inverter there...which retains the gap, and takes full advantage of the airflow to help cool the inverter when under load. But...I don’t have a battery in back....which is why I needed the massive 1 gauge wires—to help contend with my much longer wire run and fight voltage drop. At just 3 feet, 4 gauge wire would be fine, but my run was much longer.

That is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Still feels like cheating, but as I get older I don't care. I just want my coffee without making it a production.

Hah, our whole rigs are a cheat right? I do also carry a bialetti moka pot for the days I can slow it down.

Full disclosure to @TheGrrrrr ... Thanks for kind words..
Bit know in advance that I am also limited in my depth on a number of topics, and I often refer questions to others here who I look to for those areas. :) I’m not a “mechanic” and many here truly are.

But anyway—What I did with that same space was put my inverter there...which retains the gap, and takes full advantage of the airflow to help cool the inverter when under load. But...I don’t have a battery in back....which is why I needed the massive 1 gauge wires—to help contend with my much longer wire run and fight voltage drop. At just 3 feet, 4 gauge wire would be fine, but my run was much longer.

Okay, went out and did some redneck science. Pulled the battery, turned on the truck and cranked the HVAC to 11. I used my hand to feel around on that grill to see if I could detect air pull, and it was significant in one spot about the size of a tennis ball as indicated by the red circle. I put the battery back and an positioned it as far to the rear as possible and it seems like 90% of that tennis ball sized location is unobstructed and pulling the same as before. certainly better than the past few months when I had a pillow and blanket stupidly smashed into that space, which couldn't have been good. I also checked the PS space and could detect not air pull anywhere on that grill. Not sure if that is normal or if having recovery gear in there already killed that motor. No dash lights or codes in the computer if so.

IMG_1193.jpeg

IMG_1195.jpeg

Okay, went out and did some redneck science. Pulled the battery, turned on the truck and cranked the HVAC to 11. I used my hand to feel around on that grill to see if I could detect air pull, and it was significant in one spot about the size of a tennis ball as indicated by the red circle. I put the battery back and an positioned it as far to the rear as possible and it seems like 90% of that tennis ball sized location is unobstructed and pulling the same as before. certainly better than the past few months when I had a pillow and blanket stupidly smashed into that space, which couldn't have been good. I also checked the PS space and could detect not air pull anywhere on that grill. Not sure if that is normal or if having recovery gear in there already killed that motor. No dash lights or codes in the computer if so.

View attachment 2360656

View attachment 2360657

There ya go!

That “tennis ball” size part leads to that internal tube I mentioned.
My take=I think you’re good now.

Last edited:
There ya go!

That “tennis ball” part leads to that smaller internal tube I mentioned.
My take=I think you’re good now.

I could probably move it a couple centimeters further back if I trim the bottom lip of the panel, so I'll secure it in place and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up. Now to investigate the PS intake to determine what (if anything) is wrong there.

Hah, our whole rigs are a cheat right? I do also carry a bialetti moka pot for the days I can slow it down.

If I have some really great beans and want to make a damn fine cup for myself and some friends, I'm using the aero press, at home or at camp. Usually though, I just want something hot, caffeinated and quick so I can nod off in my camp chair while drinking it in the silence before everyone gets up.

There is no ac on the passenger side. It is mostly subwoofer back there.
9AFF8A1B-E1A7-4BC6-9DB5-8B6F34987601.jpeg

There is no ac on the passenger side. It is mostly subwoofer back there.
View attachment 2360693

Thanks, I was wearing out the search function trying to find a photo like that. We should have a sticky with just photos of what is behind all of the panels, dash etc.

Thanks, I was wearing out the search function trying to find a photo like that. We should have a sticky with just photos of what is behind all of the panels, dash etc.
I have a ton that I can contribute if that ever gets set up!

Totally. It's not exactly easy to find stuff in the 200-series forum. So much good stuff hiding in places like the multi-hundred page What have you done to your 200 Series this week? thead, and individual rig build threads. Don't get me wrong as I enjoy that organization too. But when I'm looking for something I know I've seen, may be hard to dig up again as it's not behind topic based threads.

This thread got me thinking about the DS rear quarter and the vulnerability of all that HVAC equipment. It seems to me that a collision in that area would be more catastrophic in terms of $$$$ than any other location. Head on seems to fair pretty well and the engine bay I'm sure could be breached with enough force, but this quarter seems like an expensive hit with a small amount of force. Anyone have any anecdotal or firsthand experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom