Working to finish up 12v Aux System, and have a few questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We seem to be on similar paths with our builds.

Here is what I am working on now. Just placed there to mock up component mounting.

The batteries are only 40Ah each, so 80Ah with them wired in parallel. A little smaller than I would like but still more usable capacity than a single group 31 lead acid.

I plan to shoehorn these two controllers in front of the batteries. And my ham radios and DC distribution on the front of the drawer behind the 2nd row seat.

IMAG4316.jpg

IMAG4317.jpg

IMAG4322.jpg

IMAG4323.jpg

We seem to be on similar paths with our builds.

Here is what I am working on now. Just placed there to mock up component mounting.

The batteries are only 40Ah each, so 80Ah with them wired in parallel. A little smaller than I would like but still more usable capacity than a single group 31 lead acid.

I plan to shoehorn these two controllers in front of the batteries. And my ham radios and DC distribution on the front of the drawer behind the 2nd row seat.

View attachment 2361246

View attachment 2361248

View attachment 2361249

View attachment 2361251

That looks like a good setup. Given my lack of knowledge and experience I didn't want the complexity (if there really is any) of a battery bank, but I would imagine 80ah total would easily meet my needs. I've been running everything off the starting battery(X2 Power AGM) which hasn't had much issue with the load on 1-2 night camping trips, but I was supplementing with a solar suitcase. My goal for this was to get a light weight system that is as simple as possible and robust enough to handle well beyond my expected needs. It will be a sad day when I finally run out of mods for this thing and this is a big one. All I really have left on the list are bumpers, lockers and re-gear... and skids. @Markuson You get rid of those skids yet? I could go for a road trip.

Ya, finally handedThem off to a local mud guy for cheap a few weeks ago. But come on over anyway. :)

Glad you got something for them and got them out of the way! I’m teetering on just buying those same ones, but the Budbuilt aluminum are calling my name too. They are pricy though and probably more than I need.

I haven’t explored SoCal at all so it’s likely I’ll get over that way at some point this summer. You going to make it to LCDC? If so, maybe we can convoy.

Honestly its such a close fit that if not for the rounded corners on the battery it wouldn't have worked. I'll probably bend some metal to put a brace over the top, and maybe some heavy strength velcro on the bottom. Outside of a violent flip/rollover with more than one rotation, this thing isn't going anywhere as-is.

You're probably right.

It's just that every time I see somewhat heavy, unsecured cargo, I'm reminded of a thread I read (possibly on ExPo?) where a paramedic mentioned all the deaths they've seen from unsecured cargo. I specifically remember them mentioning a toddler getting killed by a loose 4-gallon jug of milk (during a roll over). That thread has stuck with me...

Got everything hooked up and seems to be functional. I'm not great at wiring, and couldn't quite get all the connections as solid as I would like due to my lack of soldering skills. Its fine and everything is well connected and insulated and fused, just not optimal in terms of a really nice pretty install. Going to see how it does for a few days and then take it to a buddy that does automotive A/V and have him completely rewire everything and make it all pretty. Inverter should arrive on Wednesday so that will be the last piece of the puzzle.

For now though, I have the Lithium battery, Redarc BCDC and Victron 712 Monitor, all hooked up. The Victron iPhone app works well and tomorrow I'll get it connected to the Android app on my Grom so I can use it from the main display. Nothing like doing electrical work in 112f heat, while your home A/C bites the dust. Been a rough weekend.

IMG_1203.jpeg

Well now everything is wired up including the inverter and ready for some more extensive testing before finalizing the wiring and mounting everything. So far everything works, even the coffee machine (Thanks @TeCKis300 ) on AC power.

IMG_1209.jpeg

Where/how did you mount the shunt for the BMV-712?

Where/how did you mount the shunt for the BMV-712?

At the moment it is attached with 3m tape to the side of the battery, but I am exploring options for a more permanent location, where its not likely to be interfered with.

Honestly its such a close fit that if not for the rounded corners on the battery it wouldn't have worked. I'll probably bend some metal to put a brace over the top, and maybe some heavy strength velcro on the bottom. Outside of a violent flip/rollover with more than one rotation, this thing isn't going anywhere as-is.

To tie down the batteries, I bolted a flat tie down handle from Lowes to the side of and near the bottom of the ARB box, and then used a couple of long 175 lb zip ties. So if you need to take them out just cut the zip ties and replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom