Working alone - tools or tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the idea. I spent last night checking these out and placed an order this evening for one. I have three sets of tires on wheels for our LC. Due to retirement I lost access to the lift at work. This should help out considerably with all the car chores. You have a beautiful set of vehicles in your garage!
QuickJack. Love the thing! I have the 7000 lb model.
View attachment 3277547

This tool made it so easy to get all the air out of the coolant system after changing the radiator, made it an easy 1 m
person job.

Amazon product ASIN B01I40ZQWE

Nice. And I'm glad Toyota engineers cars with reasonable maintenance procedures.

Here's another type if anyone wants a tool that can also handle more complex coolant systems in the stable. Vacuum type that fully evacuates the coolant system of any air, filling it in one go without further need to purge.

Amazon product ASIN B01BW39HJS

Last edited:
Here's another one - another harbor freight tool - transmission scissor jack. I've use this for all sorts of lighter duty r&r projects like transmissions, differentials, that sort of thing. Sometimes I remove the casters and put it on a lift table or motorcycle table to let it work under a low lift.

(Note: @TeCKis300 has the same tool in his pic above. Great minds! :) )
View attachment 3276285
I have that too..😆

Thanks for the idea. I spent last night checking these out and placed an order this evening for one. I have three sets of tires on wheels for our LC. Due to retirement I lost access to the lift at work. This should help out considerably with all the car chores. You have a beautiful set of vehicles in your garage!
Thanks. Oddly enough. I ordered mine from Home Depot, they had the best price at the time (2019).

The pump is kinda a PITA to lug around, I have mine bolted to an old printer cart with casters. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

It isn't exactly related to working alone but I have a MaxJax low rise lift that comes in handy for wheels, brakes, suspension.

It only lifts 48" though, so although it can be used for other things, the working position can be uncomfortable.

My built 200 is also probably at or over the lift weight rating. The newest model is rated for 7k lb, but I think mine is 6k?

I've had two versions, both work fine. Both lift the same amount. Both have a similar crappy wheeled cart for the pump. The newer one has automatic safety stops instead of bars for stops that need to be manually inserted. The newer one is also SFI rated.

I don't have a good pic handy. You can see one of the (older one, I think) in one of my pics above. My workshop twin @TeCKis300 has a pic of his above too.

It isn't exactly related to working alone but I have a MaxJax low rise lift that comes in handy for wheels, brakes, suspension.

It only lifts 48" though, so although it can be used for other things, the working position can be uncomfortable.

My built 200 is also probably at or over the lift weight rating. The newest model is rated for 7k lb, but I think mine is 6k?

I've had two versions, both work fine. Both lift the same amount. Both have a similar crappy wheeled cart for the pump. The newer one has automatic safety stops instead of bars for stops that need to be manually inserted. The newer one is also SFI rated.

I don't have a good pic handy. You can see one of the (older one, I think) in one of my pics above. My workshop twin @TeCKis300 has a pic of his above too.
I’ve thought about the MaxJax as it allows me store it out of the way when not in use which is most of the time. I’m a bit hung up on using it for my 7400 lb 200. I’m sure that in reality it would be fine but me or someone I love will be under the 7400 lbs so it gives me pause.

I considered upgrading to one of those, as I have about 11' of ceiling height in my garage, 24x28' clear with no columns. Do you leave yours bolted into place? I really don't want that post in the way when I'm not using the thing.

I'm very happy with my QuickJack but it is kinda fussy to get into place when setting it up. The Miata has very specific lifting pinch weld spots. There's no way to even do a simple oil change in that car without having it up in the air, and many people have deformed their floor pans by putting stand under the wrong spots.

I'm sooo done with ramps too.

The maxjax is easy to move around. The posts have wheels. You just remove the lift arms then unbolt the two posts from the anchors and wheel them out of the way. It is designed for an 8' tall garage, so it is pretty versatile. I have around 12' which allows me to max it out with taller vehicles like the 200.

The other nice thing about it being movable is you can install multiple sets of anchors to have options to set it up in different work areas. I have two sets, and might add a third for grins. I never know which of my hobbies is going to be cluttering one end of the garage or the other. I've even seen people in nicer climates have a set of anchors outdoors.

Although I have this, I find that I actually use Rhino Ramps (I have 4) or jack and jackstands more often with the 200.

I’ve thought about the MaxJax as it allows me store it out of the way when not in use which is most of the time. I’m a bit hung up on using it for my 7400 lb 200. I’m sure that in reality it would be fine but me or someone I love will be under the 7400 lbs so it gives me pause.
I have the same concern. We've hashed it out previously here on mud.

A couple of thoughts from that discussion and maybe others: the lift is tested well above the published rate in order to pass certification (150% maybe), if you remove four tires and rims as soon as you get them off the ground - you just took off hundreds of pounds. Don't have your main and LRA full, several hundred more pounds. Empty those cargo drawers - hundreds of pounds there. Next thing you know, you're well within the range.

The maxjax is easy to move around. The posts have wheels. You just remove the lift arms then unbolt the two posts from the anchors and wheel them out of the way. It is designed for an 8' tall garage, so it is pretty versatile. I have around 12' which allows me to max it out with taller vehicles like the 200.

The other nice thing about it being movable is you can install multiple sets of anchors to have options to set it up in different work areas. I have two sets, and might add a third for grins. I never know which of my hobbies is going to be cluttering one end of the garage or the other. I've even seen people in nicer climates have a set of anchors outdoors.

Although I have this, I find that I actually use Rhino Ramps (I have 4) or jack and jackstands more often with the 200.

I didn't know the newer units were upgraded to 7k! Hrmm...maybe time to upgrade? I haven't used my MaxJax for the LX570 as its weight is over spec. Relying generally on 35s and AHC high for most servicing, unless it's wheels and suspension, then I'll just use jack stands which are pretty easy for rear solid axles.

Re the MaxJax, I have one post always mounted on the side of the garage. So I just have to wheel out and bolt down the other post. For the pump and hydraulic line, I have the pump mounted to the wall. With an extension hydraulic line with quick fittings routed on the ceiling. Setup is probably about 10-15 minutes including mounting the lift arms. Jack stands are generally much quicker and lighter of an operation. If I were doing a more major job like pulling the transfer case or transmission, that would warrant setting up the MaxJax for more working room under the car.

Here's a pic of the pump and routing on the ceiling.

PXL_20210904_030730299~2.jpg

As promised, I need to do an oil change on the GF's CR-V today, so here's the pump caddy I put together. I used an old printer stand that was headed to the dumpster at work. I also put it inside a cheap sheet pan in case of oil leaks, but honestly so far it hasn't.

PXL_20230322_203726954.jpg

And my helper...

PXL_20230322_203741895.MP.jpg

I have the same concern. We've hashed it out previously here on mud.

A couple of thoughts from that discussion and maybe others: the lift is tested well above the published rate in order to pass certification (150% maybe), if you remove four tires and rims as soon as you get them off the ground - you just took off hundreds of pounds. Don't have your main and LRA full, several hundred more pounds. Empty those cargo drawers - hundreds of pounds there. Next thing you know, you're well within the range.
understood and agree.

I also don't like jack stands. I use them but I generally also add a backup in the form of a 6" steel i-beam set on the wheels I've taken off and 2x8 wood cribbing to get the beam up on them frame rails. My i-beam is as longer than the width of the rig. I like having a structure that is taller than I am thick (which is getting increasingly harder to find) that will hold the rig if something stupid happens. Yes a good jackstand should fail but but it is designed and rated for a vertical load. When you are beating on something or using a 4' cheater pipe you add some potential horizontal movement into the equation.

understood and agree.

I also don't like jack stands. I use them but I generally also add a backup in the form of a 6" steel i-beam set on the wheels I've taken off and 2x8 wood cribbing to get the beam up on them frame rails. My i-beam is as longer than the width of the rig. I like having a structure that is taller than I am thick (which is getting increasingly harder to find) that will hold the rig if something stupid happens. Yes a good jackstand should fail but but it is designed and rated for a vertical load. When you are beating on something or using a 4' cheater pipe you add some potential horizontal movement into the equation.

Very Very Valid Point

The big giant HFT 6ton jack stands actually had a recall on them because some broke 😳

I had/have 4 of them and now they’re only used for axle rebuilds when they’re removed from truck, they work perfectly for that.

QuickJack. Love the thing! I have the 7000 lb model.
View attachment 3277547
View attachment 3277545

Headlamp. I have 3 of these, one stays in the truck, 2 for the garage so I can alternate charging.

https://a.co/d/9EuBJDK

Cradle I made for removing and installing the very heavy BudBuilt SS engine skid, fits on my floor jack.

View attachment 3277549
View attachment 3277548

Another vote for brake pressure bleeder. Mine is homemade using a garden sprayer. I've used it countless times.
The QuickJack 7000 with the SUV extenders is a cool tool. I bought mine from Costco. However, be aware it is not for the faint of heart, literally or figuratively. It is a very heavy beast! I ended up selling mine through Mud because my old self really could not safely handle it due to the weight. It ended up being easier on my back to just use a floor jack with jack stands, or ramps.

Favorite tool for tie rods. Pipe wrench. Struggled to prevent rod from spinning on regular vise. This makes the job effortless.

87BFC5A4-62F4-4228-AEF5-6D76B07C33C7.jpeg

4E5EB391-B321-45DF-B0FA-9BA4702289DA.jpeg

I have been pleasantly surprised by HF. I purchased the Warrior 115 piece Cobalt drill set (high-dollar sets can run a thousand bucks or more) and while crudely finished, they drilled just as well and lasted just as long as the big buck name brand cobalt drills I had. I just needed another set. Recently, I had to drill a bunch of holes in hardened steel and I needed two 21/64 bits so a helper could work also. The high-dollar bit did not do any better. Looks pretty but did not cut any faster or last longer. The HF bolt extractors work well too. Other tools such as wrenches, drivers and such have been okay. The anvil is not so hot. Too soft for serious work. I have not tried any of the power tools. If I need something for occasional, light to moderate duty, HF has worked out to be okay. I used to be a Craftsman guy but ever since China took over the manufacture, the quality has tanked.

For what it is worth, I recently read an interview with the CEO and he said that HF takes customer reviews seriously and when a problem arises, the company tries to get it corrected. He said that the company does not want to get a bad reputation for selling junk. That is not a good way to stay in business.

At least a couple years ago, their tap sets were absolute trash. Machining the flutes left slag at the start/stop of each thread.. all but two of the size in the set.

Favorite tool for tie rods. Pipe wrench. Struggled to prevent rod from spinning on regular vise. This makes the job effortless.

View attachment 3279733

View attachment 3279734

We had a chain-type at an old job of mine and it got used at whole lot. No better way to truly hold round work.

View attachment 3279733

View attachment 3279734

That's an awesome vice!

I have one of these multipurpose vices with a rotating head and pipe jaw. Great flexibility to do the job.

I don't love it however as in standard mode, it's not keyed strongly enough to prevent head from rotating if I'm really going at it. I might add my own indexing key.

Amazon product ASIN B07V5RNZV8

The QuickJack 7000 with the SUV extenders is a cool tool. I bought mine from Costco. However, be aware it is not for the faint of heart, literally or figuratively. It is a very heavy beast! I ended up selling mine through Mud because my old self really could not safely handle it due to the weight. It ended up being easier on my back to just use a floor jack with jack stands, or ramps.
Yes the frames are pretty heavy, my only complaint is they really really need casters. The little wheels they put on one end are garbage, I found much better ones on Amazon. I started a project last year to add casters to them but I ran out of time. Might get back on it this year.

I still prefer it much much more than a floor jack and stands. I also think it is safer.

Those SUV extenders looked way over priced to me, I made a custom set for the cruiser out of some scrap plate and pipe I had in my bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom