Work just started (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I’m new to the group and ready to learn all I can about the 80 series. Any help is very appreciated. Have already replaced bumpers and added winch. Fixing to upgrade wheels/ tires, suspension, and baseline work (gaskets bushings belts plugs etc.) Future work will be Re-gear to 4.88 gears, add Lockers, switch to free float rear axle, add external gas tank, add batteries and solar panels, cooking set setup electric, roof rack. If you guys have ideas on anything shoot me a holla
26348975-97AB-4551-A39C-8388AF71AD1F.jpeg

Congratulations and good looking rig. Do you plan on going anything over a 35/315 size tire? If not I would consider doing the underdrive gears for the high side, it will essentially give you a 4.56 ratio with out the work in the 3rds.

When it comes to the lift do your research and do not buy something off the shelf. I made that mistake and less than 1K miles later I swapped out my front springs and shocks for longer one to accomplish a level stance on my 80.

What year and how many miles?

Welcome!

Put on your big girl panties, grab your boots, and hang on! 'Cause we're going to ride you hard, kick you a bit, then make you open your wallet!

Good to have you here!

Congratulations and good looking rig. Do you plan on going anything over a 35/315 size tire? If not I would consider doing the underdrive gears for the high side, it will essentially give you a 4.56 ratio with out the work in the 3rds.

When it comes to the lift do your research and do not buy something off the shelf. I made that mistake and less than 1K miles later I swapped out my front springs and shocks for longer one to accomplish a level stance on my 80.
I’m running with the Ironman 4x4 foamcell 2” Stage 3 Kit. (Fixing to install) I’m looking for advice on wheel size and largest tire that won’t rub during full articulation.

Welcome!

Put on your big girl panties, grab your boots, and hang on! 'Cause we're going to ride you hard, kick you a bit, then make you open your wallet!

Good to have you here!
1992, 201k miles

I’m running with the Ironman 4x4 foamcell 2” Stage 3 Kit. (Fixing to install) I’m looking for advice on wheel size and largest tire that won’t rub during full articulation.

I am currently running a 315/75-16 on the factory alloy wheels and am not having have any issues with rubbing but I am running a lift that yeilds nearly 3 + inches of lift. When you move on to bigger tires, 37s or larger there is a thread on here with other MUD members setups 37s or Larger picture thread

You will need to extend your bump stops more than you have now if you have done so to reduce/eliminate rubbing at full stuff. Extending your bump stops limits your up travel and eliminates rubbing on full stuff/articulation.

Also you'll have to take into consideration that the axle has moved and could cause the tires to rub as well. @eimkeith makes an axle relocation kit EimKeith RAM, Ironman 4x4 does as well Ironman Drop Brackets. There are also other options out there for caster/axle realignment @Delta VS and Superior Engineering.

Slee Off Road also has a article for lift/tire size as well Tire Size vs Lift

Last edited:

A lot of guys will tell you that you won't rub a 35" tire with a 2" lift. This is somewhat accurate..... you won't rub city driving and even most forest trails. But if you start getting any real flex there will be some rub.

I am running a 2" Ironman lift with an extra 1" spacer in the front and I rub my 315/75/16's very often. But it's not horrible and hasn't forced me to get taller springs.

Here is a picture of my front tire rubbing during a "moderate" flex.... Because the first rule of ih8mud is "pics or it didn't happen".

20220531_194340.jpg

Also a lot of this stuff can also be affected by the wheels you are using.

Good looking rig and welcome to the forum. Give it a few years getting the rig set up and dialed in, than you can do a v8 swap and that thing will be a dream.

For those who are not familiar, OP is not saying he is repairing things to install - "fixing to install" lol
JMO, recommend going 24V for all add-on power requirements. Especially as you want to really build it out.

Welcome!

Good to have you here!
Good thing it's not an LX, They'd make you wear pink panties too!
Mine chafe when I sweat, damn polyester...

A lot of guys will tell you that you won't rub a 35" tire with a 2" lift. This is somewhat accurate..... you won't rub city driving and even most forest trails. But if you start getting any real flex there will be some rub.

I am running a 2" Ironman lift with an extra 1" spacer in the front and I rub my 315/75/16's very often. But it's not horrible and hasn't forced me to get taller springs.

Here is a picture of my front tire rubbing during a "moderate" flex.... Because the first rule of ih8mud is "pics or it didn't happen".

View attachment 3049748

Good looking rig and welcome to the forum. Give it a few years getting the rig set up and dialed in, than you can do a v8 swap and that thing will be a dream.
Thank you for the advice :)

View attachment 3049748

I wanted to ask about offset for wheels. Going 12.5 wide…… is there a certain offset and backspace I need?

I run a 37 12.50 tire on 17 x 8 with 4.20 bs. Stock is 4.50, think about re gearing for sure if anything over a 31 inch tire, since you bought a 3fe good motor but slow, you can also look into swapping a full float rear and doing the bigger 93 and up front brakes, you need to ask yourself how deep down the hole you want to go.

I wanted to ask about offset for wheels. Going 12.5 wide…… is there a certain offset and backspace I need?
Too wide IMO. You want 11.4" 35s (special order) in LA mud on stock 4.5L.
I'm running 4.25"bs on 16"x8 wheels and 12" 33s.
Too wide for my tastes.
Def too tall for stock gearing AND have any kind of response.
The driving experience hearkens back to the steam age - set the controls and apply 1/3 throttle.
Be patient.
The rest takes care of itself.

Last edited:
Too wide IMO. You want 11.4" 35s (special order) in LA mud on stock 4.5L.
I'm running 4.25"bs on 16"x8 wheels and 12" 33s.
Too wide for my tastes.
Def too tall for stock gearing AND have any kind of response.
The driving experience hearkens back to the steam age - set the controls and apply 1/3 throttle.
Be patient.
The rest takes care of itself.
I’m gonna be Re-gearing to the appropriate ratio when I add the air lockers, and swap rear end for free float. Ration depends on wheel size. I don’t have the knowledge on tire/ wheel size for 80’s, I’m not sure if I need a offset or not also. I’m basically looking to go the biggest tire without rubbing stuffed on a stage 3 Ironman 2” lift. I have not installed it yet, cause I’m curious about spacer that may be needed to level off. I’m also curious about which radius arms are a nice upgrade/ cost effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom