Work history done by dealership? 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there folks.

Recently purchased:

93 Toyota Land Cruiser
VIN # : JT3DJ81W5P0016922
102, 416 miles on it

Is it possible to go to a Toyota dealership and ask the Service manager to enter the VIN and give me the total work history on the LC where the dealer has done the work ??? Want to see what type of work has been done on my LC i bought. Did do a carfax and nothing negative came from it.

Anyone here work for a dealership where they can enter the VIN and see what type of work history has been done to this LC.. Much appreciated if thats possible...

Hello NovaFZJ80 and welcome to 80's ownership! Do you have a name?

It sounds like you found a creampuff '93 and I'm sure you will enjoy it. What are your plans for the truck?

Most dealers will keep track of what work they have done on a specific vehicle. They keep it by VIN so if you know where that truck was serviced then you *might* be able to get some information by calling the service department. Keep in mind that this will only be for work done by that dealer at that dealership. In some rare cases, the dealer might be part of a larger network and keep better records but that's not the typical case.

Any Toyota dealer will be able to tell you what warranty work was done by giving them the VIN. Unfortuantely, that only covers things like the O2 sensor campaign and other warranty work. Routine maintenance and service is not globally available.

HTH
-B-

Not sure by name?? I'm Minh... but if you mean the dealership, not sure.. All i know is that the owner lived in Scotch Plains, NJ 07076-2609. Called 2 Toyo dealerships up there and no service record.. However i'm the 3rd owner of the LC and did find the owner contact info and stated that all mainteance was done at 3500 (oil/change) and when service was required based on the manual, they were done as well..

However 2 wks after getting it, yesterday noticed louder noise coming from the pass side. Exhaust leak that was getting louder....also the o2 sensor is loose..see two spots on the manifold before the cat where some weld work was done.. Could this be the reason for getting CHECK ENGINE light to come on. Then goes off after 5 min. Thinking once the LC has reached operating temps for the cat. the CHECK ENGINE light goes off..

2 small oil leaks that i see.. one is a few drops from the line thats sort of under the radiator by the driver's side, there's 3 lines down there .. Also another oil droplets coming from somewhere near center diff. but can;'t pinpoint where. Must be up further in the engine bay....taking it to a toy mechanic friend recommended to give it a good inspection to see if anything else is wrong with it.

Any other things i should be aware of for a LC thats 10 yrs old with the mileage on it, besides axle seals going bad..or other common problems with the LC....

Thanks.
MINH

Minh,

>> one is a few drops from the line thats sort of under the radiator by the driver's side, <<

That's a line containing ATF to your tranny cooler.

>> another oil droplets coming from somewhere near center diff. <<

Could be an oil pan seal or a rear main.

>> also the o2 sensor is loose.. <<

This is the source of your noise and your MIL (Check Engine) light. Check with Cruiserdan to see if the 02 sensors were replaced as part of the recall on your '93. If you're lucky then Toyota might pick up the bill for new O2 sensors.

-B-

Beowulf,

Thanks for the troubleshoot answers. I was pretty sure it was the 02 sensor giving me the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. I'll keep an eye on the oil/tranny levels...

I'm guessing cruiserdan works for Toy dealership as a mechanic.. so he has access to see if my 93 has the recall on the o2 sensor done yet , by looking at the VIN???

Minh,
Cruiserdan is a capable mechanic but he's an old f@rt p@rts m@n@ger at a Toy store. He can access the information by your VIN and he might if you PM him and ask nicely.
-B-

Minh , I think our Dan is more of the resident Master Parts Guru/Manager and is indeed highly valued resource on this board ;) . Plus he's a swell guy all 'round !

When I purchased my cruiser , I did the same thing you are doing . I looked up the location of previous owners , and started phoning Dealerships . The Service Managers were a great help , even telling me that the PO had failed to replace brakes because he traded down to a Sequoia :p . That tidbit was enough incentive to ask the seller ( a dealer ) if he wouldn't mind doing the brakes pre-delivery .

Good luck , and congrats ! :cheers:

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9100;start=msg79164#msg79164 date=1072125746]

Minh,
Cruiserdan is a capable mechanic but he's an old f@rt p@rts m@n@ger at a Toy store. He can access the information by your VIN and he might if you PM him and ask nicely.
-B-
[/quote]

Beowulf,

how do you talk about our Toy-Part King ???

He will give you next time the wrong part for your rig or something worse :D

Mike

BTW, soon is XMAS. I hope you guys are online :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom