words of wisdom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I never would have attempted the Birfield Repack, and Trunion Bearing replacement had it not been for this forum and the vast knowledge on this site. From step by step proceedures to access to parts (thanks Dan!). This is certainly a doable job even for those of us with not much experience. It takes patience and preperation and a little bit of common sense.

I had a lapse of common sense during the reassembly of the birfields and shafts into the axel housing. After installing the drivers side birfield and all components including the rotor and caliper, I went to reassemble the passenger side. When the long shaft would only go in about 15". I immediatly realized what had happened. :'( I bet you all do to.

Don't let this happen to any of you! My words of wisdom, to all of you "before you put your shaft in, make sure it is going in the right hole" ;)

Steve 94' 105,000

I can't believe you would admit to that. ::) . You would certainly have a wider track 8) .

Nobody is imune. Sunday I did my rear wheel bearings and brakes. I had all of the cone washers, flat washers and nuts for the axle flanges in a small plastic yogurt cup. My son fell and cut his head and I had to haul him over to get it sewed up. While I was gone, the rescue puppy we are caring for took off with the cup and scattered the contents ALL OVER the GRAVEL driveway :'( . I'm still looking..............

Steve,
I can't belive you would fess up to that either. All in all though it's better to bugger up a bit while saving a grand. Kudos for the nads to tackle the job...Welcome, you are now a TRUE Cruiserdude. :D

Steve,

If you feel strongly about it we can ask Jim to update his instructions with a detailed explanation and pictures of which axle shaft goes into which side of the axle.  

Let us know. :D

Seriously, the front axle service is one of the things that all of us are being faced with. All of the 80s are exceeeding 60k miles or more. It is unlikely any PO had the service done as most trucks won't suffer any long term damage until the 100k mile mark. Our collective problem is that as we are the 2nd and 3rd owners, we have to do this service.  

The good news is that if you did it right this time, you shouldn't have to do it again for another 60,000 miles.

Congratulations.  Now go buy something expensive from Christo.
-B-

-B-

I am NOT a 2nd or 3rd owner. You have just hurt my feelers :'( . I demand credit(or is it ridicule?) for paying all the money up front and then paying all the money again. ::)

Photoman is also an original owner......

>. Photoman is also an original owner ...<

As is Brent and a few others I'm sure.

I'm guessing there are about 150 owners of 80 series that access information on this forum. There may be 5 or 10 original owners. The rest of us get to blame the PO for all the stuff that goes wrong with our trucks; albeit very little goes wrong compared to other makes. :D

Kurt skews the statistics somewhat.

-B-

Thanks Beo!

I, however, am not as brave as you. I will not be tackling the birf's myself. I'm only good for a 1/2 banana job - oil change.

Kurt,

The Wulf has a point. Aren't you on your 4th transfercase? :D

Not only that, you didn't get a single one of them from me :'(

I will let you FedX me #5 and #6 as #5 will get damaged in shipping. :D
UPS doesn't ship t-cases any more :mad:

Start getting parts for the "Big Rig" Trundra that comes out this fall. Just think the damage I could do to that ::)
kurt

ps Dan I can use your services, I have 3 filters short of a case of YZZB5 that I want to trade for 0062-90915-004.
Do you know that part munber? Don't cheat.

I can't believe you would admit to that. ::) . with the cup and scattered the contents ALL OVER the GRAVEL driveway :'( . I'm still looking..............
Cdan - glad the little bloke is ok. &nbsp:Do yourself and buy yourself a big frickin magnet. Take it from someone who grew up with a gravel driveway on a long dirt road. Magnets rule! oh and for good measure :flipoff2: :D

Even I must confess to a mistake "once". The turbo on one of my dozers blew up. I had to travel half way across the next state over to get a replacement. Put it on, started it up, heard a terrible noise, took it back apart and the impeller was ruined. Here the original nut had flown up the intake plumbing and sucked right back down into the new turbo. Moral, always check to see if you've lost any nuts. :D
Bill

;DRe: words of wisdom

>> Moral, always check to see if you've lost any nuts. <<

Or have your partner check. :D

-B-

Dan, where is Dan? Did I stump him with part #0062-90915-004? Did he have to drive to the dealership to look up the # as he knew he couldn't sleep with out knowing what it is???
kurt

I can't believe you would admit to that. ::) . You would certainly have a wider track 8) .

Nobody is imune. Sunday I did my rear wheel bearings and brakes. I had all of the cone washers, flat washers and nuts for the axle flanges in a small plastic yogurt cup. My son fell and cut his head and I had to haul him over to get it sewed up. While I was gone, the rescue puppy we are caring for took off with the cup and scattered the contents ALL OVER the GRAVEL driveway :'( . I'm still looking..............

Now you know why it was a rescue puppy :-/.

Kurt,

Bad number

&nbsp:Do you mean 00602-90915-004?

Oh, I was asleep when you asked. ::)

The important thing is that you eventually did it yourself. My first time I had the wrong socket - 54mm socket instead of hub socket. Having got the right tool I then snapped the ABS sensor. Having fixed that I then had to learn how to get rid of the ABS warning light on the dash. Like you I would not have attempted the job without the group. Having done it, I now feel pretty confident about it. You are an unusual case in that you have done 3 hubs ;) Live and learn.

Cheers, Jim

Dan Yes. Did you know the #?
I wish the laptop had a munber key pad like on a normal computer.
See once again, It is a good thing I don't data entry for NASA. OOOPPPSSS they don't do have a good track record either.
kurt

Did I know the number?...... ::)

That is the TRD oil filter for the trucks

The Cruiser one is a 00602-90915-007

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom