SOLD Worcester, PA (Philadelphia area) 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to list the FJ-40 on Craigslst. I've had it for over 6 years and I am not happy about letting this go, but I don't know when I will get around to working on it. Here it is: 1974 Toyota FJ-40 Land Cruiser

Craigslist ad text: (please go to Craigslist for pics)

Purchased this complete, running, driving FJ-40 in May 2013 off a guy outside Indianapolis and drove this home 700+ miles to Philly. Full story on this adventure here: From Indy to Philly: Fetching the FJ40

Had the intention of doing a partial restoration which never got around to happening although I did put some work into it and acquired a few new and used factory parts. Previous owner had it for about ten years, drove it on dry weekends and kept it garaged. It's been garaged for the last 5 years of my ownership. The first year, it sat covered under a tarp. It has never failed to start, even in cold winters on a 9-year old battery! At this point, I’m afraid to start taking it apart because I do not want to deal with another project that may take me years to complete.

Tub is a pre-72 as evidenced by the location of the curved fuel fill area. There is a non-original cutout on the rear of the tub for a second gas tank that is not there. Has the original toolbox under the driver seat, but no lid. Comes with hard top pieces and glass that are a slightly different shade of blue and desert tan doors. For the most part, there is no visible rust although there is some evidence of rust repair here and there. The major body defects (hood, rear tub and right fender) are shown in the pics. There is a license plate mounted to the floor of the tub that is covering a hole but there is no rust under there. Frame is solid and clean. Whoever did the bodywork and frame must have done at least a decent job on rust treatment because nothing has changed much over the past 16 years.

Odometer and speedometer do not work. There is 79,028 indicated and the previous owner told me there is about 10k more miles on it than indicated. An aftermarket tachometer mounted on the steering column has an indicator for 55mph in 4th gear.

Has new factory shift knobs and front turn signals installed. Included are new factory emblems, wheel covers and bumperettes as well as a complete front and rear seat cover and foam set from Spector Off-Road. Also have a factory wheel that can be used as a spare and original running boards. Jump seats are not bolted down since the tub is a pre-72.

Front bumper is not original but is very heavy duty with a cutout for a winch. Tow bar comes in handy either for pulling things or being pulled.

Axle seals/bearings were replaced after I got it as well as the clutch master cylinder and brake shoes, which need minor adjustment. It will need new seals for the engine and transmission/transfer case because it leaks. I would get new tires and an alignment before driving it at highway speeds. Otherwise, I wouldn’t hesitate to drive this anywhere.

Please send an email to KoreyConstable@gmail.com since I am not on here much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom