"Woody" Rear Panels and Speaker Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Just want to share my latest project on the Land Cruiser. I wanted to replace the rotten/warped MDF panels in the cargo area (I have gaping holes in my quarter panels so they'be been exposed to quite a bit of snow and rain). Also, many of the plastic pieces that attach them had broken so I wanted a better way to attach them.

Anyway, here's what I ended up with. I'll let the pictures do most of the explaining.

1/4" plywood with deckstain. With the plywood being much more rigid than what I replaced, I took the opportunity to add a 6" speaker and tweeter in the rear.
IMG_0017.JPG

Here's the panel cut out of 1/4" plywood. I simply traced the shape from the old panel and cut it out with a jig saw.
IMG_0004.JPG

The speakers I chose are Rockford Fosgate R165-S. They provide cutout templates on their website which are very helpful.
IMG_0005.JPG

Testing out that the speakers will fit without needing to cut or relocate any existing braces.
IMG_0006.JPG

Test fit, everything looks good.
IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

very nice, looks great.

I had concerns about mounting the speakers on only 1/4" of plywood. So to add a little strength, I added another 1/4" ring of plywood to the back side of the panel.
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG

Wiring the new speakers was very easy. Just follow the wiring channel that already exists for the tail lights. I had already set up a new stereo that supports rear speakers, check out my thread about that install for reference. I used marine disconnects from Amazon to make removal of the panel easier.
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG

I went through a few options on how to mount these. I like the idea of rivet nuts, they're a solid permanent solution but I don't have the right tool to install them. There are ways to do this without that tool but it turned out to be a pain in the a** (maybe I just need more practice?) The bolts are then inserted from the back which gives you an easy way to line up and install the panel.
IMG_0013.JPG

To save me some time and energy, I ended up picking up a lot of these "quick nuts" from Ace Hardware. VERY easy to install and honestly, probably just as secure. I still have enough rivet nuts to replace these, which I'll do once I muster up the energy to open this project back up.
IMG_0014.JPG

Twelve bolts later, the panel is ready for attachment. You can see the mix of rivet nuts and quick nuts in this pic.
IMG_0015.JPG

Ta-daaa! Add some recessed, stainless steel washers and acorn nuts and we're done!
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_0021.JPG

I just reused the hardware from the original panels for the washer fluid cap.
IMG_0022.JPG

Someday I'll have someone reupholster these panels to match the originals. But for now, I can live with the "woody" look.

Well done! I like the wood too. I used 1/8" mahogany in mine, havent' had time to put in my newly acquired
nutserts yet. I got a nutsert tool at Princess Auto up here in Canada, don't know what your options are but it
was only $54 including nutserts. I like the woodgrain, no need to cover it up.

Well done! I like the wood too. I used 1/8" mahogany in mine, havent' had time to put in my newly acquired
nutserts yet. I got a nutsert tool at Princess Auto up here in Canada, don't know what your options are but it
was only $54 including nutserts. I like the woodgrain, no need to cover it up.

Thanks! Yeah, every tool I looked at was around $40-50 bucks (without the rivet nuts). Which just seemed to be a bit much for this project. Maybe if I find more projects to use it with. I'd love to see pics of yours if you have them.

Nicely done. Looks great, you've got a skilled hand at the jig saw. My cuts tend to look like they were made by a drunk on a unicycle.

Thanks everyone!

Now we just need to get those "gaping holes in the quarter panel" fixed....

Tell me about it. I feel like I keep taking on little projects like this to distract me from the sticker shock of what that'll cost. Maybe I need to learn to weld...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom