Woody,live Chat room? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
Threads
I know I've seen some old threads how you tried it and then discontinued it.

Every thought of trying it again? I know I've got time late at night, always thought it might be fun on mud?

Matt

waiting for a major new software upgrade from vBulletin...until that happens, I'm not inclined to make tweaks!

also, vBulletin doesn't have a built-in chat feature, and I'm already hating the few hacks I've done at this point.....

If , once inside a thread, we used the 'post quick reply' and the server was triggered to refresh our page upon receiving a reply that would be close to a chatroom. Course you'd have to configure it to not refresh someones page if they were in the middle of a 'reply' ..

Too much work .. too little time .. uggggggggly!

;)

TY

T Y L E R said:
If , once inside a thread, we used the 'post quick reply' and the server was triggered to refresh our page upon receiving a reply that would be close to a chatroom. Course you'd have to configure it to not refresh someones page if they were in the middle of a 'reply' ..

can you say "server overload" boys and girls? lol

The new vBulletin software apparrently has a PILE of new and welcome features.....including the begged for "persistent mark read" that everyone wants...I'm hoping that's a turn on/off feature, and controllable by usergroup tho...definite option for the SS crew.....

of course, that's another server hog, but limiting should make it workable....

hope to have the test forum up and running by July 1, and then wait for their full non-Beta release to be out!

Enlighten me .. :flipoff2:

Honestly what does it take server side to satisfy these loads? Would your stand alone server that you mentioned getting I think eventually be able to handle the load? Does it boil down to cost I guess?

Sincerely,

Tyler Durden :)

ummm...we ARE on our own private personal not-shared at all server (well, other than a couple other tiny sites I manage)...the future plan is for dual servers, one for serving the visuals and one for dealing with the backend mysql stuff....plus another memory increase....something that'll may get us by for a year plus :D

I actually don't know what the added requirements would be....I do know that I monitor server loads constantly (those little numbers at the bottom of every forum page) and prior to the software increase, those ran consistently in the 2-3 range under normal loads...the software upgrade a few weeks back dropped loads to 1-1.5 normally....now, prior to the memory increase and prior to the scsi drive for mysql operations, those loads frequently pushed into the 10-15 range...and that was with only 200 users online (300-350 seems to be pretty normal now)

The biggest issue is many of these addons are not "standard" within vBulletin, and hacks can be a real hassle with the primary software upgrades and the hacks don't keep up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom