Wood Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently been interested in wood working projects. After making my butcher block style garage workbench I decided to go on to another wood working project. I decided to make a gift for my brother and his wife. This is only my second project. I enjoyed working this and it took only a few days. I am sure it could be done in less but I took it slow and tried to be careful since I am still a Rookie :meh:

I went from some construction grade lumber and a cooler.
full

To this indoor/outdoor cooler.
full

full

I am now thinking about my next small project.

Please feel free to post your wood work projects and share your ideas.

Pics of the internals?

Something different - my kiddos last couple pinewood derby cars. My son is a cub scout, and my daughter always wants to do a pinewood car as well, so I do most of the cutting, they do the painting/decorating. They always come up with something unusual LOL, which can be fun and challenging for me. 2 years ago my daughter asked me to make her a cotton candy mobile, and my son simply said "waffles."

cotton candy and waffles.jpg

Last year my daughter wanted a unicorn - here is a pic near completion of the cutting and some sanding.

unicorn pinewood derby.jpg

Hey,TwelveGravity, I know this is an old thread, but the wood working you did is just perfect. I have only one question - did you do something to make it waterproof? I want to do something like that for my bathroom, but I don't know how making it waterproof. I was looking for an answer and one of my friends send me an article about finish waterproof wood on pursuingoutdoors.com. It looks convincing enough, but I don't have any experience in it. As I can see, unlike me, you're a true expert. What can you tell me about the finish oil? As I can see you used paint. Can it protect wood work from water?

Thanks for the kind words. I am far from an expert though, I just wanted to make something for a family member, saw a picture of one of these coolers and went to work. I've built another cooler for myself just like it. I will have to put up a picture of it. As far as water proofing, I just used a Min-Wax Polyurethane clear coat. I would have to read into waterproofing to know more about it, perhaps using poly's or spar-urethanes are acceptable ways.

Here are a few pictures of more projects.

This is the second wooden cooler box I built.
full

full

A diaper changing table for family.
full

full

And a coffee table for my youngest sister.

full

Nice work. I have finally purchased tools for a start in wood working. My first project is underway as an outdoor kitchen. Watched lots of videos to learn everything. I will upload when finished.

It has been a lot of fun to learn new stuff. Hopefully welding will be later or next year...

Looks great. I’m hoping to get a few more tools to start my own projects.
Any opinions on the 5 or 6 essential power tools for basic woodworking?

Looks great. I’m hoping to get a few more tools to start my own projects.

Im no expert but I can give you my opinion. The basics of wood working would be measure, cut, join & finish. Basic hand tools and patience can get the job done. I'm not always a patient person so power tools help. Tape measures, framing squares, levels, sander etc... The Miter saw was on of my first bigger power tools, then the band saw specific for the ice chest build I did above. I think I mostly use the miter saw and table saw beside the common hand tools.

One of my next projects I wanted to try metal etching. I had never attempted it before so I thought to test it out beforehand.
I first tested it on my camping ax. I was surprised to see how it turned out so I did an ax foe a brother of mine. The process was to cover what you do not want etched with a vinyl sticker and tape, then use salt water and electricity dabbed onto a cotton ball.

This was my very first attempt. I had a sticker from a recent purchase RCI Off road Bed rack that I didn't put on.

full

After that

full

Last edited:

I've been woodworking for over 30 years; my suggestions in priority order:

A good router with 1/4" and 1/2" collets (Porter Cable 690 is a great choice. You can find them on CL for $100.)

A good table saw with a good rip fence (look for a Unisaw, Powermatic or similar on CL. You can find them for ~$600 if you're patient and you only buy once.)

12" Miter saw or compound miter saw (most folks NEVER cut compound angles). You can find a good Dewalt on CL for $200.

Jointer with a longer bed like the Powermatic 54A

12"+ surface planer (You can start with a benchtop model for $100 on CL.)

12"+ bandsaw (look for Powermatic, Jet, old Rockwell, etc.)

IMG_0303.JPG

Had no idea you had such talents @76FJ40 ! that's impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom