Wood Trim Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just sold my 1988 FJ62 and I'm stepping up to a 1997 80. I love the truck, but I'm not real fond of the "wood" trim on the dash, doors, etc. It was difficult to find one without this feature. Anyone had luck removing the stuff?

It's real easy to do. Just break the pieces off, or use a hairdryer to heat and remove them. Any left over adhesive will come off by using 3m adhesive remover, and by rubbing hard with your thumb. Was one of the first things I did.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=15920;start=msg152146#msg152146 date=1083896449] I used a frosting knife from my wifes tool assoertment.
[/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How the hell did you get away with that? ???

Nice tip. Did you take it all out? Any other thoughts before I start in? In the end, can you even tell the stuff was there?

I did the "non-wood mod" also, it's simple. I think I should have left the wood around the shifter though. It doesn't look good without it. On my 92, it was all black plastic around the shifters, and brown on the sides. that looked good. It's too late now, I don't think I can just get that piece. :p

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=15920;start=msg152154#msg152154 date=1083897308]
How the hell did you get away with that? ???
[/quote]

It was quite easy. She has, and I'm sure she's not alone, accused me of loosing every table knife that has ever come up missing. That was until she mentioned one day that she was missing some forks. I wasn't about to let that one go. I imediately demanded that she explain to me what the hell I was using those for as I must have lost those ustensils as well all the knives. Since then I can freely pillage the pantry when the need arrises. 8)

I guess I'm the only guy that doesn't mind the fake wood that much. Generally I hate fake sh!t but this stuff doesn't bother me that much. I have taken it off where it starts coming off like around the radio. But around the shifter and such it looks ok.

When it falls off I leave it off but where it's stuck on good, I just leave it that way.

Mine was starting to delaminate pretty bad, and then I left the windows down during a rain. That was the end of the line for the fake wood. :(

Denatured alcohol will also work wonders for taking off any residual adhesive.

[quote author=offroadkid link=board=2;threadid=15920;start=msg152164#msg152164 date=1083897952]
It's too late now, I don't think I can just get that piece. :p
[/quote]

yes, you can get individual pieces and "short sets" from some of the manufacturers, you can also get fake or real wood

Another bonus for the lexii is that the fake wood is higher quality :D
It doesn't seem to fade like the version(s) installed on the LCs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom