Wood floor roof rack with ham antenna? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm almost done designing my 4' x8' roof rack for the top of my 62. One of the major parts of my design is the antenna mount for my radio. I plan on using a west marine stainless steel mount that I can loosen and rotate 180* in two directions to lower my antenna for the garage or other low overhead situations.

So here's the question: I have been planning on using an expanded metal floor, but in doing my final research I'm really liking the idea of either some type of wood floor or a fiberglass/plastic floor. How much will my floor selection impact my antenna performance.

I'm almost done designing my 4' x8' roof rack for the top of my 62. One of the major parts of my design is the antenna mount for my radio. I plan on using a west marine stainless steel mount that I can loosen and rotate 180* in two directions to lower my antenna for the garage or other low overhead situations.

So here's the question: I have been planning on using an expanded metal floor, but in doing my final research I'm really liking the idea of either some type of wood floor or a fiberglass/plastic floor. How much will my floor selection impact my antenna performance.

If you are securing to the wood, fiberglass or plastic floor you would probably need to run an adequate ground for your antenna. From the base of the mount to suitable ground location.

Im still waiting on my handbooks to come in so not a Ham-er yet. Hopefully someone else will elaborate more for ya.

-Lenny

I asked a similar question about an elevated roof rack with mesh floor a while back. I don't remember that there were very specific answers but I think I may have done some SWR tests about that. Anyway, it's certainly a complex issue, ground plane etc.

Ok...so ignoring the lawn chairs and beer...how would you install an 8' Chameleon V1 antenna to this truck if it were yours.
Roof rack 1.jpg

Chameleon V1 needs a good ground plane if you plan on using 40m - 80m. I think Would try mounting it to the side of your roof rack(red) first. If you think you are up to putting a hole into side of your truck you could always mount it to the side (green). Keep it above the roof as much as possible.
Roof rack 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom