Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cruiser won't start. I have tried to diagnose the problem but so far have only managed to buy new parts. A fairly quick search here did not identify a solution but gave me an idea or two. I would appreciate the wisdom of Mud to help me stop buying parts.

The cruiser is not a daily driver and has sat for about two months without moving but I have tried to start it every couple weeks to keep things going. About 3 weeks ago it would not start. It has a good charge on the battery and the fuel pump starts up fine. But once I roll the ignition over to start it makes noise at the relay (one of the new parts). From what I understand the noise is the relay trying to make contact so the power can then travel to the starter (the other new part)

My current thought (learned from here) is that the problem may be in the Ignition Switch. I will run up to the parts store for a new switch and then try to diagnose and resolve the possible switch issue.

Has anyone else had this simular problem and what was the ultimate solution to get it fixed. All I really need is to get it started so I can move it to a cozy garage where I can plan and organize a rewire project over the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Troy

My cruiser won't start. I have tried to diagnose the problem but so far have only managed to buy new parts. A fairly quick search here did not identify a solution but gave me an idea or two. I would appreciate the wisdom of Mud to help me stop buying parts.

The cruiser is not a daily driver and has sat for about two months without moving but I have tried to start it every couple weeks to keep things going. About 3 weeks ago it would not start. It has a good charge on the battery and the fuel pump starts up fine. But once I roll the ignition over to start it makes noise at the relay (one of the new parts). From what I understand the noise is the relay trying to make contact so the power can then travel to the starter (the other new part)

My current thought (learned from here) is that the problem may be in the Ignition Switch. I will run up to the parts store for a new switch and then try to diagnose and resolve the possible switch issue.

Has anyone else had this simular problem and what was the ultimate solution to get it fixed. All I really need is to get it started so I can move it to a cozy garage where I can plan and organize a rewire project over the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Troy

When you turn the key, you should hear a single click at the starter solenoid (what you call the relay). The starter solenoid is a part of the starter and it provides a connection between the big wire that runs to the starter solenoid and the starter itself. If you are getting clicking with a charged battery, a new starter and solenoid, I would suspect the power or ground wiring (rather than the ignition switch).

There should be a ground wire from one of the starter mounting bolts to the frame. There should also be a ground wire from the battery negative to the frame. Finally, there should be a big wire from the battery positive to the starter solenoid. I suspect that one of those is bad or has a corroded connection.

It is easy enough to test the ignition switch to eliminate it as a possibility. You can replace the wire from the ign switch to the starter solenoid control with a jumper from the battery positive to the starter control. This should cause the starter to turn. If not, it may be the ign switch (I doubt this, because this is not how the ignition switch usually fails).

When you turn the key, you should hear a single click at the starter solenoid (what you call the relay). The starter solenoid is a part of the starter and it provides a connection between the big wire that runs to the starter solenoid and the starter itself. If you are getting clicking with a charged battery, a new starter and solenoid, I would suspect the power or ground wiring (rather than the ignition switch).

There should be a ground wire from one of the starter mounting bolts to the frame. There should also be a ground wire from the battery negative to the frame. Finally, there should be a big wire from the battery positive to the starter solenoid. I suspect that one of those is bad or has a corroded connection.

It is easy enough to test the ignition switch to eliminate it as a possibility. You can replace the wire from the ign switch to the starter solenoid control with a jumper from the battery positive to the starter control. This should cause the starter to turn. If not, it may be the ign switch (I doubt this, because this is not how the ignition switch usually fails).

While I worked on it I cleaned all the connections so I am confident that it is grounded. I am currently running power through a four post relay, and then down to the starter solenoid. THe noise is definately in the relay and for some reason it is not closing the connection go get juice to the starter when the key is rolled all the way over.

I have not tried yet but is it possible to jump and bypass the relay? Key to "on" and then jump...should cause the relay to close and starter to function...right.

Oh how I love the electrical stuff

have a picture of this 4 post relay you speak of? yes you should bypass (hotwire) around the relay. turn the key to ON position. take a thicker wire (12 gauge-ish) and go from battery positive to starter solenoid contact. that should make the engine start up and stay running.

The relay is kind of an important part of the question in that it's not stock.
What is the relay supposed to do? The solenoid IS a relay that takes power from the ignition switch and switches high current power to the starter. Is the relay switching the control power from the ignition switch or the high current power?

I have not heard of any "relay" between the ignition and starter--it's pretty much a straight shot. Sounds like an aftermarket add-on that may not be OEM - and could be causing your problems. What year is the truck? This will help define the correct wiring diagram

The relay is not typical but is used when heat is an issue on the starter. I tried to jump the relay as talked about above. That did not work. So now its time to back up a little more to the ignition switch where the problem could be between the "on" and "start" wires.

Option 2: punt and flat tow it to a shop. I am out of time and patience.

Troy, I don't think it's likely to be the ignition switch as that's not how they usually fail, but it's possible.
If you can explain how this relay is wired, you might get some advice as to what things to test to see if the problem is in the relay, solenoid, starter, or ignition switch. Right now no one knows what you've got, so you aren't going to get any useful advice.

what didnt work? did the starter not move at all or the engine just didnt stay running? if the starter didnt move at all, then your relay is most likely boning you. you have to take it completely out of the mix electrically before digging into the switch.

Sounds like what ever that "relay" is is the culprit. I would bypass it completely--Turn the ignition switch on and then short a screwdriver across the starter solenoid contacts. I would bet the rig starts right up.(this is essentially the same solution kruisinkid had)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom