Won't start. Charcoal cannister? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a piece of advice, from my own experience.

If you disturbed the fuel lines, I guarantee you some bits of rust and scale broke loose and washed up somewhere in your fuel circuit.

Start at the carburetor and looks for debris in the strainer, valve and float chamber assembly. Then work back from there.

Good Luck

O.K., so I ordered the "L" shaped 5/8" hose from Toyota of Dallas, and went to pick it up on Saturday. The parts guy hands me a plastic bag with a length of 1/2" fuel line. The cost was $32! I had given him the part # somebody posted on this thread which was the correct number. I had him check the computer, and he showed me the diagram of the canister assembly. He clicked on the part # of the "L" shaped hose and the computer said that it had been substituted for the 1/2" line he had given me. WTF? I got my money back. I'm going to try a different dealer Monday, where the old parts guy I always dealt with moved to. I definitely have a canister from an FJ 60 that some PO installed. I think SOR carries the part I need if the other dealer doesn't. I checked "charcoal canister" threads on the FJ 60 Forum, and I think my problems may be deeper than just the hoses. I may need a new canister judging by what others have written about fuel leaks.

I posted the part number for the stock L shaped hose but also noted that it appears that you aren't using the stock canister.

i seriously doubt its the canister. if you think it is, remove the fuel line coming from the tank going to the canister and just let it vent to atmosphere. start with the cheapest fixes first. i would think that means a new fuel filter and then replacing all the rubber fuel lines.

Krusinkid; I removed all the lines a few days ago, and will leave them as is until the new "L" shaped hose arrives from SOR. I replaced the rubber fuel lines and the filter in the spring. It may have been running somewhat rough then, but a least it was running. It absolutely will not keep running unless I pour gas down the carb. It only started doing that after I started messing with the lines running to and from the canister. I photographed and numbered each line, and also made a drawing of which line went where. As I said earlier, the reason I did that was that one of the lines was seriously leaking gas, and the other lines were split. I don't know why there was gasoline in the line that was supposed to be handling vapor. I will definitely check the fuel lines though and probably go ahead and replace the filter.

I searched "charcoal canister" on this forum and found an interesting thread by an FJ 80 owner who built his own charcoal canister. After reading that I have a better understanding of how the canister works or doesn't work. My truck definitely smelled like gas, and the tank always had a lot of pressure when I took the gas cap off. I'm starting to think that the check valves on the canister are clogged and the split lines going into and out of the canister are a symptom of high pressure.

Paul, i failed to convey in my last post that your charc canister (clogged or not) makes no difference to your real problem which is your carb is not getting fuel. your charc canister could be filled with motor oil and you should still be getting fuel to the carb in a working system. forget about the canister for a second. if i were you, this is what i would do and in this order:

-unplug rubber fuel line that runs from the tank to charc canister, let hang.
-remove ALL rubber fuel lines
-if you have access to an air compressor, blow out all hard fuel lines. blow toward the tank.
-replace ALL rubber fuel lines
-replace fuel filter
-inspect everywhere in the carb where fuel would flow through and remove any debris
-replumb system (leave the charc canister out of the picture for now)
-attempt to start cruiser

autozone sells a canister that works for us cruiser types, you dont need to make one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Vapor-Canister/_/N-9gszu?itemIdentifier=239708_0_0_

when you do the swap, you do not need the hose that comes out the bottom. the new canister vents out of the bottom where there is a gap in the case. you will need a new bracket because of the different size. i used a P-loop from mcmaster. i havent fitted my new one in yet but its one of these 2 sizes. buy 1 of each and then return the wrong one and buy a 2nd correct one.

mcmaster# 3225T71
OR
#3225T59

i can almost promise you, as has been said by others, you have a clogged carb or fuel filter or fuel line. the only other problem it could be is when you replaced all the rubber hoses, you crossed them back at the tank. HTH.
-karl

Karl is giving you good advice, which is what everyone has been saying all along. It might not be the easiest solution but your problem is in fuel delivery NOT vapor handling. Those canisters can get full of fuel for a number of reasons, but none of them should affect it starting.

O.K. guys, I got the message. I will go through the fuel delivery system from the tank to the carb.

O.K. guys, I got the message. I will go through the fuel delivery system from the tank to the carb.

I apologize if I came off harsh. You'll find the problem in no time. Keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom