won't lug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is this normal?

if i'm sitting at a standstill on flat ground (aka parking lot) and i let out the clutch without giving it any gas... it dies.

now i've had my motor rebuilt about 2500 miles ago.
i've got the DUI on it.

33x10.5's
4 inch lift
stock everything else.

shouldn't this thing be able to pull itself with giving it any gas?
i estimate i'm idleing around 650rpm's.

my concern is that my buddy's stock 89cj can idle itself from a dead stop, and in just about any gear he wants.

Well, my 71 with F engine and Aisin carb, and 29 inch tires will lug just fine on the flat, even on gravel. I also have the idle set at 650. So, unless the 33's play a role here, sumtin's outa whack.

3 spd, F, unknown miles, never rebuilt, 33" TSL's. stock idle I guess
I can start on flat without giving any gas, but have to let the clutch out slowly. Just the other day my buddy drivin the cruiser was absolutely amazed that my cruiser could climb his driveway without giving it any gas. I haven't stalled the F since probably the first month I owned the cruiser, waay too much torque here. Sure your parking brake wasn't on? ??? :D

i have not and do not know how to adjust the clutch.

i remember about 5 years ago (before rebuild,DUI,tires,lift) i actually started it in gear going up about a 5% grade. it started, pulled and i idled up no sweat.
now i can't even let the clutch out in first and roll on flat ground without giving it gas.

yeah, it will in low.
but i still think it should in high.

maybe i should look into a bigger cam or something?
does anyone make one of those?

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=4892;start=msg37552#msg37552 date=1062616087]
yeah, it will in low.
but i still think it should in high.

maybe i should look into a bigger cam or something?
does anyone make one of those?
[/quote]
I wouldn't fool with a cam. Most aftermarket upgrades people do on F engines only make a difference because the stock equipment wasn't operating correctly. Something is not tuned right or is not functioning, or you would be able to take off without any gas.

Check your idle mixture, richen it up a bit, like one full turn counterclockwise, see if that helps. Just a suggestion.
Ed :)

as much as i love messing up my carb settings, i think i'll wait until i take it into the shop this month for the yearly inspection.

i'll tell the mech what the problem is, and let you guys know if anything improves.

cruisinGA; will yours lug off the line with no throttle?
i've noticed we have a very similar setup.

A friend had a similar problem the whole time he'd been driving it. No bottom end. We were under his hood at night and saw a sparking wire dancing on the fender in the dark. Got out the flashlight and found his fuel cutoff wire had never been plugged in the whole time he owned it. Plugged it in and the RPMs went through the roof. Someone had turned up the idle and richened things up to compensate. Retuned, it runs great.

what is this wire and where do i find it?
where does it plug into?

I think the fuel cutoff wire is red/yellow. It plugges into a solenoid valve on the side of the carb. It should have power when running.

i have no wires at all going to carb.
are you running the aisen?

I'm going by memory and a service manual. In mine I've switched to a Quadra-jet on a 350 chevy. I could be wrong but I thought all the toys had fuel cutoffs. It is a small cylindrical shaped electrical solenoid valve about 3/4" by 1 1/2". I think it's between the pump arm and the choke actuator.

ok i'm out there in the dark, with a flashlight, but i'm not finding anything resembling your discription.
i'm going to see what i can find in the way of pics on sor or something.

do you see it here?
042-01D.jpg

Yes, upper left hand, below pump arm, has a charcoal black wire hanging out that is tucked in by throttle mechanism.

great
but
i don't see this on my quadrajet

DUI and carb are the issue. DUI has a place but I dont get the mod for cruisers. They seem to do just fine as is.No idea the carb you have but it must be lean. Could also be poor ignition and clutch issues. If it worked fine before the DUI I would look there. Fuel cutoff is an ignition on + that runs out of the firewall with the OEM choke cable and thermo temp sensor wire. If running stock carb and DUI I am not sure you will ever get it correct. Pull the DUI for a NON USA or add a Holley/Webber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom