Won't heat up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
I can't seem to get my FJ60 to warm up. Temp gauge never moves but a very little bit.

I'm thinking maybe it could be my fan clutch is frozen up, as It is always turning. What else could there be? Since last spring, I've replaced about everything in the cooling system except for the fan clutch.

Hate to ask a stupid question, did you try replacing the thermostat? I had the same problem with one of my 40's.

my 40 did it too and it was the thermostat

so, when you say it's always turning, do you mean you always have that "ROAR" under the hood? I just did the fan clutch in my 60 and even though it was going bad, the fan was still turning at idle, but wouldn't completely engage (speed up) when things heated up.

I know you've been on these boards and know your stuff, so I hope I don't offend...I recall reading posts on "the other gasket" to be sure to replace on the thermostat otherwise it's always "open". Did the warming up issues start when you replaced it?

Also, Where does your needle usually sit? Mine's rock solid at about 1/4 to 1/3 up from the bottom. Do you have any heat at all?

CardinalFJ60

Is thier coolant in it? Your gauge and heaters will not work, if it does not have coolant....

I would bet we have a stuck stat....

Good luck!

-Steve

new t-stat and make SURE the upper gasket/seal is in place. Fan clutch even if locked up would still make heat, so IMOP I would rule the FC out, it might be bad however.....but not the cause of your problem. FWIW it will always spin, it will not have much reistance however untill it starts to lock up, even then you can still turn it by hand(when off)

I'll put in my vote for the upper gasket. Found an unused one I had laying around from a previous tstat change just the other day! :whoops:

Thermostat!

just replaced the t-stat this morning on mine.

does the temp range matter all that much? i'm pretty sure autozone got me the wrong one, but i won't care if it'll still work. the bottom temp for the t-stat is the same, but the new upper temp is 5 deg higher.

also, what is the proper part number for the gasket? autozone got me one that isn't right (too many bolt holes)

and to keep on asking, what can i do if the bottom piece of the t-stat housing is stripped (i think.)?

the bolt won't catch with about 1/4 inch left to go. i figured i might tap it out, but why waste the time if i really need to replace the housing. how much from toyota for the part? (asking landpimp, all-knowing in matters of OEM replacement parts. :D :D)

thanks, and sorry for the semi-hijack.

also, sounds like stat to me. i redid mine b/c of the same problem. it would alternate between really really hot and really really cold. tapped on the housing with a hammer and it would switch. checked the stat when i took it out, and was clearly old and not working compared to the new one.

y'all have a good new year, aight?

jonathan

OEM is either 180 or 190deg, I have stated to change over to the 180 on a few of my Cruisers, OEM is $20ish. Gasket sounds like a latter 2F, it will have 4 bolt holes, earlier 2f and F is 2 holes. Same T-stat will fit all Cruisers to at least 1992

If I didn't just clean up my desk I could tell ya the parts #'s.......but now I can't find anything ;)

ah,hear is some info from a post of mine.

Prolly not any news flash but if your looking for a OEM 180deg t-stat(normal is 190) the part number is 90916-03014 , aplication early 2f motor. Will fit any Cruiser up to at least 1992. Supposedly there is a OEM 170deg t-stat for middle east spec Cruisers......havn't looked for it.

don't know about the housing. Looks like a $50 part to me.....but just a guess

John H

awesome pimp, thanks.

I'll chime in for the thermostat!

I just had the same problem on my new 77. The temp gauge checked out with testing but never registered after 45-60min of driving. Thought it was the sender and the heaters were maybe clogged. New sender did the same thing.....
Changed the thermostat (old one did have the top gasket) and now she sits at 1/4 on the gauge (winter here) and I get lots o' heat!

I did have a thought..... after fighting all the permetex that the previous instaler put on the T-stat housing (I didn't use any) I found a big clump of it floating at the top of the radiator. about 1/4" x 1".
It was obviously floating around the system (I was carefull not to drop any of the old stuff into the housing) and I was thinking something like this could get stuck in the T-stat and hold it open.

Thoughts?

I have never used anything but a gasket when changing t-stats, never had a leak, no need for to use any gunk to seal it.

IMOP, silicon is only good for creating leaks in the future, most higher quality gaskets have a bonding agent impregnated into them already, putting silicon on the gasket only keeps it from actually bonding the two parts together. There are times where I use silicon, but only if I really believe it's needed.

sup fellas,

$63.27 for a new housing from toyota. just to let y'all know.

y'all have a good one.

jonathan

GO TIGERS! y'all watch the peach bowl at 4:00 today, and see the vols get junked on.

Hey guys thanks for the reply's. I kinda thought about the t stat, but it's not very old so I kinda put that thought back. I don't know how many use this trick, but you can test your t stat by putting it in a pot of water and boil it. Then you can see if its good or not. But then again, it sounds like mine may be stuck open. I guess I figured my fan clutch because I know it is bad. It'll scream if I get it above 3k rpm, which rarely happens so I havent bothered to do anything about it yet.

Anybody know the cheapest place to get a fan clutch?

Hey, not a bad guess I made.......$50ish with discount. Funny how after buying so many OEM parts I can kinda look at something and guess :D actauully thats really pathetic........I need to get a life ;)

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=9459;start=msg83440#msg83440 date=1073057423]
sup fellas,

$63.27 for a new housing from toyota. just to let y'all know.

y'all have a good one.

jonathan

GO TIGERS! y'all watch the peach bowl at 4:00 today, and see the vols get junked on.
[/quote]

If only you could get someone to pay you for guessing the prices of car parts, John, you'd be set! :D

I'm working on a game show version :flipoff2:

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=9459;start=msg83490#msg83490 date=1073063437]
If only you could get someone to pay you for guessing the prices of car parts, John, you'd be set! :D
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom