Builds Wompom's Painfully Slow Rebuild Now Part II! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's been my experience working on customers cars that had "minimal wrenching experience" that attempted their own engine rebuild never worked out very well. On more then one occasion they needed my shops services to fix their mistakes, and some of those mistakes were VERY expensive to fix. My best advice, hook up with another mud member, or someone else who knows what they are doing, and ask to help them, and then watch, and learn while they do the engine rebuild.

Thanks. Yup. My eyes are open. I need more hands on experience before taking it on.

Thanks for the engine rebuild detail. I'm pondering doing my first engine rebuild with minimal wrenching experience. I like the idea of buying a nice truck with a dead engine. You must have a Wit's end turbo thread somewhere (haven't looked yet).

Love the rig!

I took a million photos of the turbo install and never documented it like I planned. I will one of these days.
Just did the rear hatch seal myself as well and want to write that up too.
I found this thing with 84k and a dead motor for a steal. Cost a lot of money and even more time to rebuild it but it was 100% worth the experience.
I'd never gone this deep into a motor before, but was familiar with swapping engines in subarus and went for it.
If you're mechanically inclined, have patience to redo things you'll inevitably **** up making you tear stuff apart and reorder new gaskets that you just put in but already crushed you'll be fine :bang:

It's been my experience working on customers cars that had "minimal wrenching experience" that attempted their own engine rebuild never worked out very well. On more then one occasion they needed my shops services to fix their mistakes, and some of those mistakes were VERY expensive to fix. My best advice, hook up with another mud member, or someone else who knows what they are doing, and ask to help them, and then watch, and learn while they do the engine rebuild.

I think that's kind of a s***ty gatekeeper thing to say. If someone wants to learn and has the patience to do it right and take the risk of spending a lot of money on a motor that may or may not run when they're done, why not?
I hadn't done this before and it went well. Took a long time but went well.
Follow the fsm, read threads, use oem parts and be patient.

Also invest in the proper tools. That's huge.

This was also easier when I just called @Onur every time I needed a random thing cause "I'm already this far in".

Few pics that I'll write more about later
20201130_152922.jpg

20201009_141021.jpg

20201009_125510.jpg
20201127_131635.jpg

20201127_162415.jpg

Cost a lot of money and even more time to rebuild it but it was 100% worth the experience.

I'd never gone this deep into a motor before, but was familiar with swapping engines in subarus and went for it.

If you're mechanically inclined, have patience to redo things you'll inevitably f*** up making you tear stuff apart and reorder new gaskets that you just put in but already crushed you'll be fine.

I think that's kind of a s***ty gatekeeper thing to say. If someone wants to learn and has the patience to do it right and take the risk of spending a lot of money on a motor that may or may not run when they're done, why not?

Also invest in the proper tools. That's huge.

This was also easier when I just called @Onur every time I needed a random thing cause "I'm already this far in".

Thanks for the "go for it". I would make sure it was all fun and tooling with someone doing a build is a good idea. Yup, I do think I could do it but no guarantees on reliability (so what's the point?...fun). I will probably put together a "to do" & "parts" list and maybe find a dead motor to tear apart/rebuild first. We'll see. It's on my bucket list. I want to be able to know my next 80 more intimately. 😉

Love your truck!!

Thanks for the "go for it". I would make sure it was all fun and tooling with someone doing a build is a good idea. Yup, I do think I could do it but no guarantees on reliability (so what's the point?...fun). I will probably put together a "to do" & "parts" list and maybe find a dead motor to tear apart/rebuild first. We'll see. It's on my bucket list. I want to be able to know my next 80 more intimately. 😉

Love your truck!!
I’ll second the go for it. I’d never pulled an engine, done a hg or any real engine work. Had been through most the rest of the truck. As long as you can follow the fsm, reference mud, look up diagrams on toyodiy, and have a favorite parts supplier (and a good machine shop) it’s totally doable. Having space, time and tools are key. I learned a ton doing a full rebuild. Well worth it.

Definitely solid advice. However, it can be done as a relative novice if you take some time and do a lot of research ahead of time. My first ever engine rebuild is still running just fine today, and I didn't have much experience when I did it. That said, just be ready and willing to accept mistakes that are made if you plan on diving in. I still make stupid mistakes. Heck, on my current cruiser, I effed up one of the cylinder bores too much to recover. That cost me quite a bit. But, it's all a process and that is the fun of it for me.

You must have a reading comprehension problem, i never told him not try it. I offered my advice gained from years of experience repairing other peoples screw ups. That he might be better off to FIRST get with someone who has experience building engines, to watch, learn, and ask questions of. That way he would be better prepared when he tried it himself. Plus doing it this way just might allow him to make some new friends, that own some of the special tools required to rebuild a engine. That those new friends might also be willing to offer him a helping hand when the time comes for him to rebuild his engine. But hey, i was just trying to save the guy some money, and point him in the right direction, but after 30 years of doing this i guess i don't know sh*t. SMDH

You must have a reading comprehension problem, i never told him not try it. I offered my advice gained from years of experience repairing other peoples screw ups. That he might be better off to FIRST get with someone who has experience building engines, to watch, learn, and ask questions of. That way he would be better prepared when he tried it himself. Plus doing it this way just might allow him to make some new friends, that own some of the special tools required to rebuild a engine. That those new friends might also be willing to offer him a helping hand when the time comes for him to rebuild his engine. But hey, i was just trying to save the guy some money, and point him in the right direction, but after 30 years of doing this i guess i don't know sh*t. SMDH

You're right, you absolutely didn't tell him NOT to do it, you told him to have someone else do it while he watches...? This is a good forum with actually helpful people. You very well may be one of them usually. Don't turn it into the facebook pages of BS and insults. You were giving advice, but basically telling him he can't do it himself. We should encourage people to take things on. s*** i used to be afraid to change oil... :rolleyes: :bang:

Back to cruisers.

20201006_093812.jpg

You're right, you absolutely didn't tell him NOT to do it, you told him to have someone else do it while he watches...? This is a good forum with actually helpful people. You very well may be one of them usually. Don't turn it into the facebook pages of BS and insults. You were giving advice, but basically telling him he can't do it himself. We should encourage people to take things on. s*** i used to be afraid to change oil... :rolleyes: :bang:

Back to cruisers.

View attachment 2514567

Look my friend, I'm not trying to turn IHATEMUD into clownbook, Pirate 4X4, or flame you.
I've offered my years of machining, and car repair knowledge to many of my customers, whether those customers listened, and learn from that knowledge was entirely up to them.

Quote " and take the risk of spending a lot of money on a motor that may or may not run when they're done, why not?" end quote.

The above quote from one of your posts kind of reminds me of some of the customers who use to come into my shop, not really knowing what was wrong with their car.

They would tell me that they read on some internet web site that if their car was having problem X, that it needed replacement part Y. I'd try to explain to them that it may not need any parts at all. But they would argue with me about how best to fix it, or what parts it needed, and to just replace the parts they wanted no matter the cost.

It seemed to me that it was way easier for them to whip out their wallet, and spend money. Then it was for them to engage their brain, and learn something from someone who was trying to help them.

All i was trying to pass on to the other poster, that it would be a really good idea for him to get some hands on experience while working with, and helping someone else. Who knows what they are doing so they can teach him those skills while they are rebuilding their motor, before he jumps into trying to rebuild his own. If that didn't come across to you in my first post, then i guess I'll have to work on improving my commutation skills. Cheers

How its sitting now:
View attachment 2253241

Need to decide on tires (around 35s). Leaning towards S/T maxx. Pulled the sliders off since they're in the way of the turbo install.
So far super impressed with the suspension from the first few drives around the neighborhood. Bit more body roll than i was expecting but you can feel the ramp up in suspension when you load a corner (in a good way).
I have the Cooper ST Maxx's on mine - AKA pizza cutters - love em

Whoa! What was happening?
Long story short it wasn’t running great but seemed ok. Nothing weird on any gauge readings. was getting ready to do a big service, replace a radiator that had a drip leak at temp and when I was took the turbo off I found moisture signs in the housing. did a leak down and got these results. So now we’re here trying to figure out what happened.
IMG_6775.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom