Wolf Den - new riding area in western MD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DustyFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
New ohv area in Garrett county. Posted in my dirtbike club from some guys who have been lobbying and volunteering to make this happen. Anyone been there yet, or heard of it?

WOLF DEN RUN STATE PARK UPDATE 12/15/2020:
Wolf Den Run State Park is now fully open, WITH CAMPING!!! All three parcels are now available to be ridden! So like this post, share this posts, tell your buddies, and go ride! Wolf Den now consists of approximately 40 miles of trail, and most are full size vehicle rated. One of the best trails is 2103 on Potomac due to the scenery, as well as 1102 on North Hills where you can get a good view of a waterfall.
Here is how it works. You need to call Herrington Manor State Park for your reservation. Your reservation allows you to park at any of the 3 parcels Huckleberry Rocks, North Hills, or Potomac. You can change riding locations as you please within the park as you please. You will also need to call Herrington Manor for camping reservations. Please keep parking lot crowding and social distance in mind given the current times. Also note, the North Hills parking lot does not allow trailers due to its size limitations. If you have a trailer you will need to park at Huckleberry Rocks or the Potomac River lots.
Camping is extremely primitive at the moment with NO HOOKUPS, just a port-a-jon. Sites are limited to 6 people, with 6 sites currently available (don't worry, plan for further development are in the works.)
How to travel between the parcels on the road with your atv/sxs: You need a county permit Ride Garrett County - ATV/Snowmobile Permits Please make sure you follow all the rules! And if you get hungry and want a hot meal?! Head on down into the ATV friendly town of Kitzmiller and stop by the "Coal Bucket Restaurant."
I want to stress how grateful we are of DNR's hard work and dedication to this project. This project presented many challenges throughout development that are new to Maryland's Park Services, and yet they used each challenge as an opportunity to excel! We at MDOHVA look forward our bright future working together!
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE!!!

I've been when they only had Huckleberry open. The other 2 areas are new and definitely want to go check them out. Looks to be enough blues and blacks on Potomac area and noth hill area to make it worth while. The greens on Huckleberry are pretty much just dirt roads, so I'd assume the greens on the other 2 are similar.
1608339248523.png

I think it’s close to that savage river/st johns rocks place. Could be a good day trip or overnighter....when it’s warmer...

I think it’s close to that savage river/st johns rocks place. Could be a good day trip or overnighter....when it’s warmer...
Plan a January trip there?

New ohv area in Garrett county. Posted in my dirtbike club from some guys who have been lobbying and volunteering to make this happen. Anyone been there yet, or heard of it?

WOLF DEN RUN STATE PARK UPDATE 12/15/2020:
Wolf Den Run State Park is now fully open, WITH CAMPING!!! All three parcels are now available to be ridden! So like this post, share this posts, tell your buddies, and go ride! Wolf Den now consists of approximately 40 miles of trail, and most are full size vehicle rated. One of the best trails is 2103 on Potomac due to the scenery, as well as 1102 on North Hills where you can get a good view of a waterfall.
Here is how it works. You need to call Herrington Manor State Park for your reservation. Your reservation allows you to park at any of the 3 parcels Huckleberry Rocks, North Hills, or Potomac. You can change riding locations as you please within the park as you please. You will also need to call Herrington Manor for camping reservations. Please keep parking lot crowding and social distance in mind given the current times. Also note, the North Hills parking lot does not allow trailers due to its size limitations. If you have a trailer you will need to park at Huckleberry Rocks or the Potomac River lots.
Camping is extremely primitive at the moment with NO HOOKUPS, just a port-a-jon. Sites are limited to 6 people, with 6 sites currently available (don't worry, plan for further development are in the works.)
How to travel between the parcels on the road with your atv/sxs: You need a county permit Ride Garrett County - ATV/Snowmobile Permits Please make sure you follow all the rules! And if you get hungry and want a hot meal?! Head on down into the ATV friendly town of Kitzmiller and stop by the "Coal Bucket Restaurant."
I want to stress how grateful we are of DNR's hard work and dedication to this project. This project presented many challenges throughout development that are new to Maryland's Park Services, and yet they used each challenge as an opportunity to excel! We at MDOHVA look forward our bright future working together!
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE!!!

Bookmarked this thread! Thanks for the information 🤙😎

So Wolf Dens rating of trail systems is hilarious! By there standards flag pole is a blue or black..

I did not take a picture of there break down but it was something along the lines of:
Green: no steep hills for all riders
Blue: some steep hills for riders that have experience
Black: steep hils with some rocks

We did blues and blacks at Potomac river section with @TTViper, his friend, and @lacefro . The blues were pretty easy, the blacks got fun because of the amount of rain they've had. Everything was muddy and slick! No lockers meant no traction for us and the winching came out a couple times. If you don't want custom pin stripes don't go, the trails are crazy overgrown.

Also I suck and don't have pictures to share so maybe the other 2 can post em up

F72FBA90-AF72-42C7-841E-18334B4BC402.jpeg

Here’s a crude highlight of our route. Trail 2301 has potential to be fun, but due to time and some fallen trees we didn’t get to it. This route would be more challenging counter clockwise. If you come here in the wet without a winch, it has potential to be a very long day. There’s a lot of elevation change, but other than that these trails are easier than a green at The Cove.

We cleared a ton of brush. Pin stripes will be really bad in the spring. Bring a light saber or the cutting device of your choice.

The rangers were very appreciative of any sort of trail cleanup. I got the impression the property is very tough for them to keep up with. All of the trails that went down to the river are currently closed. They mentioned they have a lot of areas to repair. They WILL close the gate at 4pm during winter months, we just made it and they were waiting by the gate to close it.

Here’s a crude highlight of our route. Trail 2301 has potential to be fun, but due to time and some fallen trees we didn’t get to it. This route would be more challenging counter clockwise. If you come here in the wet without a winch, it has potential to be a very long day. There’s a lot of elevation change, but other than that these trails are easier than a green at The Cove.

We cleared a ton of brush. Pin stripes will be really bad in the spring. Bring a light saber or the cutting device of your choice.

The rangers were very appreciative of any sort of trail cleanup. I got the impression the property is very tough for them to keep up with. All of the trails that went down to the river are currently closed. They mentioned they have a lot of areas to repair. They WILL close the gate at 4pm during winter months, we just made it and they were waiting by the gate to close it.
Is this something we should consider as a trail cleanup day and ride? I would be willing to put in some time. Here or Cove, just an idea.

I think the rangers would be very appreciative. It’s a bit of a haul for anyone in the DMV, at least if it were to be a day trip. It’s another hour past The Cove.

I think the rangers would be very appreciative. It’s a bit of a haul for anyone in the DMV, at least if it were to be a day trip. It’s another hour past The Cove.
Is there any camping in the state park?

@FJCowboy the CLCC has adopted the Peters Mill trail along with Washington Trail Rides Motorcycle Club. We will be asking for volunteers around March before they open the trail up.

Have we heard if they're doing another chainsaw certification class? I need to take it this year.

They have a limit of 4 rigs in a group right now
so that means group A group B group C and so on and so forth each staggered by 30 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom