Wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a little help,here. I have a rough country 2.5 lift and 33inch tires. I took on the top off today on my fj. and did some driving. Eventually I got on the interstate and at about 55 it started to wobble so bad I had to slow down. Putting in the clutch didn't help so I suspect the u joints are ok, my whole steering column and brake peddles were shaking.

This was very bad. Yes before with the top on it did a little, but nothing like this. My alignment is great and there is a little play in my steering wheel but nothing bad. Any suggestions on what to check first?

Jack up the front and check the front wheels are not bent.
Lugs are all nice and tight
tires balanced
grab each front wheel and see if it will move side to side

Check all steering related connections for play. Steering shaft u joints, pitman arm, ball joints, etc.

you said you had a little before, now have a lot since you took the top off and made the rear 400 lbs lighter. I had massive wobble that turned out to be alignment with 37" tires. you said your alignment is good, butI bet that giving it just a little tiny bit more toe-in will makethe wobble go away. Easy enough to try, and if I am wrong, easy enough to put back, just keep track of how many turns you gave it.

Check all steering related connections for play. Steering shaft u joints, pitman arm, ball joints, etc.

Sounds like dreaded "death wobble' that many solid frt. axle rigs suffer when changes are made to suspension geometry and/or larger tires. Check for movement in tierod ends, draglink, and steering knuckle. A new/stronger steering dampner can also help, but is a band-aid rather than solving the problem. Typically the result of excessive movement/worn parts in your front suspension. Good luck.;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom