Wobble in steering 0-30mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Any chance the gears in the front differential can cause this? Also, this only happens from 0-30mph and then it goes away. It drives straight on the highway. The hotter the vehicle gets, the more it does it.

Forgot to mention.. it was doing this before the lift and tires and everything done to it.

Alright 80 series gurus... I need yalls help.... I have replaced, rebuilt my whole front end. I still have a steering wobble. Its not death wobble. My steering wheel just turns left and right when under a load. I think its my ring and gear.I have replaced..

Tie rods
Link bars
Rebuilt knuckles
New tires
New wheels
New DDC drive shaft
New birfs
Pan hard bushings
Rebuilt steering gear box
New 2.5 springs
New shocks
New u joints all around
New alignment

Keep in mind it needed all this done anyway, so I wasn't mad about it. But I am now strongly suspecting my main gears. Also, my birfs haven't been replaced either. When I lock the front locker and accelerate the wobbles goes away. When I remove the front drive shaft it goes away also. Its not a vibration. Its just a steering wobble.

Gears won't cause that.

I don't see brake rotors on your list. Brake rotors will do that.
A slipped belt in a tire will do that. Rotate your tires F to R to see if it goes away.
A bent wheel rim will cause that. Again, rotate wheels to check.

I agree with @BILT4ME, it doesn't sound like a differential problem, just a differential masking a symptom. If you've really replaced all the front axle, suspension and steering components listed, and the same problem existed prior to the work, I think you've reasonably excluded those pieces from the solution set.

The only thing I haven't done is the rotors. I am probably going to do it this weekend. And yes everything else ont hat list has been done. I was doing them within the last few months. Not all at once.

I agree with @BILT4ME, it doesn't sound like a differential problem, just a differential masking a symptom. If you've really replaced all the front axle, suspension and steering components listed, and the same problem existed prior to the work, I think you've reasonably excluded those pieces from the solution set.

Does it make sense that when the truck starts its almost not noticeable at all. Or better yet, it doesn't do it at all. But when the truck warms up, or the longer I drive it, it does it more and more noticeable.

If it's the tires, yes. It's not as common as it once was, but bad tires do get out of the factory. Try rotating them and report back.

While you have the wheels off, check the disc runout. You don't need a dial gauge and mag mount, just a pointer that won't move; you can see the allowable runout at the extreme end of the tolerance with the naked eye (at least I used to be able to, before my eyes got old).

If that looks good, on both sides, check your front pads, on both sides, and ensure that the inner/outer wear is equal. You don't have to remove the caliper, just the spring covering the inspection window. I have had a stuck caliper drag a wheel around. If the caliper can't float on the pins as designed, you'll see an obvious differential in the inner/outer pad wear.

If it's the tires, yes. It's not as common as it once was, but bad tires do get out of the factory. Try rotating them and report back.

While you have the wheels off, check the disc runout. You don't need a dial gauge and mag mount, just a pointer that won't move; you can see the allowable runout at the extreme end of the tolerance with the naked eye (at least I used to be able to, before my eyes got old).

If that looks good, on both sides, check your front pads, on both sides, and ensure that the inner/outer wear is equal. You don't have to remove the caliper, just the spring covering the inspection window. I have had a stuck caliper drag a wheel around. If the caliper can't float on the pins as designed, you'll see an obvious differential in the inner/outer pad wear.

I will definitely do this when I get home. And I just bought a dial gauge with magnet yesterday to check. It was doing it before the new tires. And I just got new tires about 2 weeks ago. With a different set.of wheels just to eliminate that from the equation as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom