Wobble help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting a wobble in my FJ40 around 50mph. I just had an alignment and it's still there. Would an upgraded steering stablizer help with the wobble?

I'm running 35's with 5 inches of lift

Steering stabilizers are band-aids. They don't correct the problem. How is the rest of your front end? Tie rod ends in good shape? Knuckle studs tight? Wheel and knuckle bearings in good shape? Air pressure the same in all tires? All of that can contribute to a shimmy/wobble, that if left unaddressed can lead to death wobble.

With all that said, when I went to 35 MT/Rs, I couldn't get rid of my front end wobble. Everything up front was new (recent upgrade to Scout power steering with new bearings and rod ends). I had my wheels balanced several times, and finally, the guy balancing them showed me how out of round the MT/Rs were. Balancing won't get rid of "out of roundness". I installed an aftermarket Skyjacker steering stabilizer and it took care of my problem. I know it's a band-aid, but nothing else took care of the wobble. You also have to realize that a 35" tire on a 15" wheel (I'm guessing you have 15 inch wheels, but it's true for 16 and 17" rims as well) gives lots of sidewall. That alone makes balancing bigger tires a challenge.

IMHO, first you need to make sure everything is in good shape up front. If so, try a steering stabilizer. It worked for me.

:cheers:

Steering stabilizers are band-aids. They don't correct the problem. How is the rest of your front end? Tie rod ends in good shape? Knuckle studs tight? Wheel and knuckle bearings in good shape? Air pressure the same in all tires? All of that can contribute to a shimmy/wobble, that if left unaddressed can lead to death wobble.

With all that said, when I went to 35 MT/Rs, I couldn't get rid of my front end wobble. Everything up front was new (recent upgrade to Scout power steering with new bearings and rod ends). I had my wheels balanced several times, and finally, the guy balancing them showed me how out of round the MT/Rs were. Balancing won't get rid of "out of roundness". I installed an aftermarket Skyjacker steering stabilizer and it took care of my problem. I know it's a band-aid, but nothing else took care of the wobble. You also have to realize that a 35" tire on a 15" wheel (I'm guessing you have 15 inch wheels, but it's true for 16 and 17" rims as well) gives lots of sidewall. That alone makes balancing bigger tires a challenge.

IMHO, first you need to make sure everything is in good shape up front. If so, try a steering stabilizer. It worked for me.

:cheers:

Wow that's a lot of great info. I just had it in the shop and they didn't say anything was wrong with the steering components. The tires and wheels are brand new. I already have the skyjacker steering stabilizer so I'm wondering if I need a more heavy duty shock absorber. I have a bilstein trd shock from an older tundra I had. Should I try and replace the skyjacker with the bilstein?

This has got to be the 6th thread I've read where 35s were installed and the car then wobbles/shakes/vibrates at speed.

Cripes, I'm older than rocks because I remember when 4 wheelers went from 8.50 X 15 Buick tires to 31" 10.50 Norsemans or Gates. You wouldn't believe how much I got the merry-ha-ha when I showed up at a 4wd club meeting running 33" tires (1970).

Considering that none of us has ever heard of " the merry ha ha" you must be older than dirt!:p

OP, I'd go with a knuckle overhaul. There are a s***-ton of rigs on the road that have never had them serviced, throwing down $$ on everything else without result.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Just glad someone other than me remembers the Armstrong Norsemans. Great tire for the Northeast winters.

I'd buy a set . You are older than rocks. I'm ''still'' just a little piece of gravel. :)

I have shims. Tonight I jacked the truck up and checked the front steering for slack and couldn't find anything. No slip in wheels. I also checked the u-joints and they were fine. I don't have power steering, I'm starting to wonder if I need a dual stabilizer. Here are pics of my setup, ignore the block of wood I used to jack up the truck on the left side. Do you guys see anything out of the ordinary?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How much free play do you have in the steering wheel? Worn steering gear box could be the culprit.

How much free play do you have in the steering wheel? Worn steering gear box could be the culprit.

Minimal play as I tightened it up not too long ago. I'm going to try a dual stabilizer to see if that does the trick.

Did anyone mention running slightly more air in the front tires to get some of the wide tread up off the pavement, tracks better.

Cripes, I'm older than rocks because I remember when 4 wheelers went from 8.50 X 15 Buick tires to 31" 10.50 Norsemans or Gates. You wouldn't believe how much I got the merry-ha-ha when I showed up at a 4wd club meeting running 33" tires (1970).

I thought that I was hot s*** when I ditched my 7.50 X 15 military NDTs for a set of 8.50 X 15 Gates Commandos on my M38A1. That was the "in crowd" tire for the Rubicon back in the day.

Did anyone mention running slightly more air in the front tires to get some of the wide tread up off the pavement, tracks better.

I have all four tires at 40psi

You are already running dual stabilizers - stock one below the radiator and aftermarket on the tie rod . Pull both completely off and check them for air or voids - the should have the same resistance in stroke going each way , if not , it's junk . I had some issues with mine after I rebuilt the knuckles and took the aftermarket stabilizer off (just like yours, but Heckethorn) and tossed it - problem solved .
Sarge

Wobble is due to accumulated slop and play in anything that locates the wheel. The problem with fixing it is that there are a lot of things that potentially contribute to wobble: from the frame (cracks), spring bushings, shackles, U bolts, steering box, drag link, center arm, relay rod tie rods, wheel bearings, knuckle bearings.

How did you check all that stuff because it isn't all that easy. You can't tell by eyeballing it. One way is to put it up on a lift and get a giant pry bar and pry on stuff and see if it has slop. The other way is to put a GoPro camera on the under side of your truck and film it in action.

Stabilizers won't fix it because the side with slop will still wobble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom