Wits end rear control arm press (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for the 49 mm and 53 mm wits end bushing press thats used for the 80 series rear control arms (upper and lower).

They (the press gizmo) are $50 a piece and i’m hoping you guys have some that float from member to member like ive seen done with steering wheels.

PM me if you can help me out. Thanks/clay

Maybe i’m approaching this the wrong way as i haven't received any response.

My 100 has rear control arm bushings (upper and lower) that are the same outside diameter as the 80 and therefore the bushing press tool used for the 80 rear control arm bushings will work on mine.

I am desperately trying to avoid a $120 bill for the tools as i’ll only need it once. Any idears?

Also some of the Rent-a-tools at the parts stores might have the right size.

Maybe contact someone in your local club (join the club) and then ask to borrow from someone local.

Give some....get some......

I made my press tools out of cast iron pipe fittings (specifically caps) which I turned down to the correct size on my lathe after seeing someone else here do something very similar.

Cast iron is not very durable when being used as this type of tool, but it worked barely long enough the one job I needed it for (although I did have to remake one of the tools). If I go this route again I'll slide a length of radiator hose over the cast iron press tool to catch the pieces if it shatters, which cast iron may do in this situation.

I recommend you find a friend with a lathe or a local "makerspace" with a lathe and make your own.

Something that may work better than cast iron, and if you find the right size then it might not require a lathe, would be to make them out of stacks of large thick fender washers (wide washers). Grind vertical notches in the sides of the stack of washers and weld them together in the notch. Due to the forces you're dealing with, I'd start with a stack of washers at least an inch tall or taller. A lesser quantity of thicker washers is better than a larger quantity of thin washers.

If you can't find the correct size of washers then buy washers that are wider than you need and put the stack of washers on a threaded rod. Chuck the rod in your drill press (it would look like a drum sander for a drill press but without the sandpaper on it). Then use a grinder to grind it down to the diameter you need. It's not the easiest, but without a lathe, it's a cheap option.

All the above assumes you have access to a 20 ton or larger shop press. My press is from Harbor Freight and it worked fine.

I bought a big ol' box of various press pucks because I figured I may have use for the other sizes at some point down the road. I've already destroyed a couple of them, so not the best quality, but adequate for the job if you're careful with them. To me, the price delta was worth it because I'm replacing ALL my bushings, but from what I've heard, the wits' end kit would have made the job easier.

Something like this:
71h88P8CLjL._SL1000_.jpg

I also had a friend offer to machine them for me as @Rollinns described, but didn't want to wait for him to get around to it, and also didn't want to call in the favor. But anyone with good machining tools could make you the sizes you need. Honestly though, $100 for the wits' end tools is not bad. And then you could be the generous soul loaning them out to others :D

:EDIT: 9 months later I ended up purchasing the wits' end kit to finish off the rest of the bushings after literally destroying my rear panhard bar in the press. They made it much easier and pretty much impossible to malign the bushings. Not cheap, but definitely worth it!

Last edited:
On last thing I would add is to add a notch to the edge of the bottom of the tool where it meets the bushing so it engages with the edge of the metal part of the bushing.

The edge of the metal part of the bushing is like a lip, the notch fits in that lip to keep the tool from moving from side to side and front to back. My first tool was flat on the bottom with no notch, for the second one I had to remake, I put a notch in it and it worked noticeably better, especially when the way the HF press was made I needed to hammer the bushing in slightly to get it in position under the ram of the press. It was hard to hammer it in and get it 100% straight, but the notch caught the lip and straightened it out, while holding the press tool in place.

I can't tell if the Wit's End tools have a notch or not, maybe he can chime in here. If it doesn't have the notch, I hope he can explore the possibility of adding it in the future.

Either way, the cost of his tools is reasonable considering the cost to buy the metal and do the machining and you also support a MUD vendor. It can seem high at first glance for a "one time use tool" but how much would it cost to have a local shop replace the bushings?

Once you figure the cost of repair shop labor the Wit's end tool cost is not unreasonable at all, even for a tool you think you'll use once. With the right press tools and the press, this is a pretty quick job, just don't forget the hearing protection, those suckers can get loud when they finally pop free.

Not to mention body protection. I wrapped my work in an old jacket and hid behind a big plastic trash can as I cranked on the press handle. When they let go, they fly out with authority!

Very true @Heckraiser, part of the reason the notch helped was I could use one hand to operate the jack on the press, and the other hand was holding a board to protect my body. Once everything was completely lined up, I hid behind the board with only the hand pumping the jack being exposed. :nailbiting: I probably could have worn a leather welding sleeve to protect that arm but I was fine without it.

BTW, I’m currently out of those two sizes and worse...my loaner set hasn’t been returned 🤔

BTW, I’m currently out of those two sizes and worse...my loaner set hasn’t been returned 🤔

I know.....unfortunately, I've tried twice to order.......about 6 months or more apart....

I know.....unfortunately, I've tried twice to order.......about 6 months or more apart....

Yeah I don’t make these ones myself. Kills productivity. So I use a local shop. They do them in small batches cuz he’s doing it on a manual lathe.

Yeah I don’t make these ones myself. Kills productivity. So I use a local shop. They do them in small batches cuz he’s doing it on a manual lathe.

I get it.

I'm going to borrow a local set.

On tools, I prefer to own my own rather than borrowing, even on tools that are virtually a once-in-a-lifetime use. Tis way I can do it on my own time instead of having to schedule around someone else.

The rules of loaning/borrowing tools:

As the borrower:

1) Return the tools in CLEAN and GOOD condition, even if received dirty.
2) Damage the tool and you replace the tool.
3) Return tools sooner than you PROMISE to return them. It is your job to return them, not someone else's job to remind you.

As the lender:

1 - N) Don't lend tools unless you don't mind losing them. Unfortunate and sad, but I've been burned too many times now.

cheers,
george.

When I did mine I used an air hammer to remove them and a snap on ball joint press to install and it worked great. Most auto shops have a ball joint press set they will loan out that you could also probably make work

The press tools are designed to hold the bushing bolt as well. Place tool on the bushing. Place old bolt down the center of the bushing. The extra length of the bolt goes into the old bushing. It will never ever creep/move/shift/shoot out. The bolt prevents it.
I did not know this. Very smart :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom