Wits' End Project 60- Turbo 1FZ M/T (1 Viewer)

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Wits' End moved to Medford, Oregon on 3/1/20. In doing so I went from running a business out of a three bedroom house (and pissing off the spousal unit), to moving into a 7000sq ft Industrial shop. IMMEDIATELY following our exit out of CA the stupid COVID-19 attack started. We are now hunkered down in the new shop. I am now here with my wife, my son and two brothers. One of my brothers, Jason (21), is going stir crazy and wants a really big project to work on. He's been instrumental in the 40 build, the SC80 upkeep and the full turbo build on the Turbo 80 Test Mule #3 and Test Mule #2. I think he's ready to take on a much larger project. Why? Because he's bored out of his mind and going stir crazy with not much to do so I have lots of pent up free labor just waiting to go.

Originally this was going to be a super secret project and blah blah blah but I changed my mind. I'm going to open source what we learn and hopefully get tons of feedback about what to do. As far as I know this is completely uncharted territory because I have not seen anything like it done. If there is, please post the link because I don't want to repeat other's mistakes.

For those curious, this is the same truck that I bought from that tweaker kid up near SacTown: New to the FJ60 world, come share my pain

The plan:
• Gut the engine bay
• Remove the 2F engine, trans and transfer
• Transplant a new 1FZ engine
• Throw on one of my turbo kits
• Decide between H55 and H151
• Likely stay splitcase OR go H2FA from the 80
• I have the ECU for the 1FZ M/T already
• Take the body off
• Put 80 series axles using @torfab's axle conversion kit
• Have the frame powdercoated
• Have the body painted (Lexus white)
• Update the Interior but I have massive decisions to make there

I already know this will be a time consuming and expensive project. I'm thinking two years. There is zero point talking me out of it and zero point suggesting to just put the 60 body on an 80 chassis, that isn't the project I'm looking for.

60-in-the-shop.png

Last edited:

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
I look forward to watching this build progress! What size tires will you be looking to run? Will look sharp in white with that beast of a motor.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
I look forward to watching this build progress! What size tires will you be looking to run? Will look sharp in white with that beast of a motor.

I think its all going to depend where I end up height-wise after doing Tor's conversion kit. If it stays about what it is then I'll stay 33s. Part of me would like to see 35s under it if for no other reason than consistency in wheels/tires between all of my Cruisers.

mattressking

10 digits to freedom
I think its all going to depend where I end up height-wise after doing Tor's conversion kit. If it stays about what it is then I'll stay 33s. Part of me would like to see 35s under it if for no other reason than consistency in wheels/tires between all of my Cruisers.

35s are great, especially so with 1FZ-T

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Toyota M/T ECU from Japan. Already in my hot little hands.

But.. why? That’s an emissions device. Why not use an ECU that can offer you full control over your engine so you can actually run more then the 5lbs or whatever it is that the Toyota ECU can deal with before it spazes out. Its easier then ever these days.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
But.. why? That’s an emissions device. Why not use an ECU that can offer you full control over your engine so you can actually run more then the 5lbs or whatever it is that the Toyota ECU can deal with before it spazes out. Its easier then ever these days.

because I’m in Oregon now and no smog on 20+ year old vehicles. And there is no US 1FZ with OBD2 and 5-spd. The 1FZ ECU for the states is coupled with the A343.

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Right, you have no smog to deal with so that opens you up to a world of possibilities. I would just highly recommend looking into it, once you start playing with performance ECU’s it’s hard to go back to OEM computers.
Think outside the OBD2 box

I realize you’re awhile away from this part. I look forward to the build

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor
Right, you have no smog to deal with so that opens you up to a world of possibilities. I would just highly recommend looking into it, once you start playing with performance ECU’s it’s hard to go back to OEM computers.
Think outside the OBD2 box

I'm not running an LS or V8 swap nor a carburetor. Where does this come in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom