Landtank Modified Fan Clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine has 35's and 4:88s and its no problem going 80 with bumpers, winch, roof rack etc. My speedo is almost exactly on, maybe 1 or 2 off, I have checked it using GPS many times. I thought that gearing change fixes the speedometer so its back to stock basically. I might be wrong on that though.

It has been now over year and almost 12k miles since the install. I haven't notice any impact on the MPG. Zero. Nada.
Even at stop&go traffic or going uphill the highest temp has been 193F...with the A/C on and as soon the engine revs up it drops to the high 180's inmmediately. The vast majority of time the temp fluctuates from 186F to 191F.
The temps you refer to are whithin specs. FWIW, besides the 80, I got an 120 series with the fantastic 2UZ engine . I can affirm that that both trucks runs at the same temp range. IMO, the narrower the spread around 190F in the summer, the closer to what Mr. T wanted it to be. But it's just me.
All things considered, this mod is a winner in my book. Most recommended indeed.
Thanks again to Joey and Rick for making this available to the community.
Cheers!

Mine has 35's and 4:88s and its no problem going 80 with bumpers, winch, roof rack etc. My speedo is almost exactly on, maybe 1 or 2 off, I have checked it using GPS many times. I thought that gearing change fixes the speedometer so its back to stock basically. I might be wrong on that though.

I guess "no problem" is all relative. I check against the mph shown on Waze to what's shown on dash. The faster I go, the bigger the discrepancy.

Related to topic, I've run the Wits' End fc for a year now in the LA urban sprawl. No surprises.

Last edited:
I could actually use one of these but according to Joey's site they are not available currently.

I just robbed a bank and got exactly $250 so I was going to order one too. Unfortunately, you are right @GSTMike. Not available but...

"Currently out of stock but please contact us because maybe its (sic) just not packaged yet"

spelling error is not mine ;)

I just robbed a bank and got exactly $250 so I was going to order one too. Unfortunately, you are right @GSTMike. Not available but...

"Currently out of stock but please contact us because maybe its (sic) just not packaged yet"

spelling error is not mine ;)
If you need it, they will come. Or something like that.

The mod is for real or Joey wouldn't sell it. Everything I ever bought from Wits End is the cat's arse.

That said, don't forget the diy route is possible as per Landtank.

Have you noticed any change in MPG?
And maybe more importantly is there any consensus on what is safe temps to be running? I mean if 210 is the highest a rig ever gets is that even a problem? Does it really matter to have temps in the high 180s instead of mid to upper 190s?
IMO, the issue is the wide swings of temperature from a stock fan clutch. The modified one really closes that gap, and as any engineer will tell you, the less "delta T" the better.
If you're running in the upper 190s, you have very little headroom in your cooling system.

Is there a RSI for the fan clutches? I installed one of the modded Blue Clutches from Witt's 30K miles/2 years ago. Summer is here and I noticed the temp gauge (modded) is running a little higher than it used to on highway hill climbs. I replaced all of the cooling system (OEM parts) at teh same time. I just checked airflow by putting my hand in front of the grill and it doesn't seem to be flowing as much air as it used to. I don't notice the fan noise either. Are any of you servicing the clutch on a certain interval?

Is there a RSI for the fan clutches? I installed one of the modded Blue Clutches from Witt's 30K miles/2 years ago. Summer is here and I noticed the temp gauge (modded) is running a little higher than it used to on highway hill climbs. I replaced all of the cooling system (OEM parts) at teh same time. I just checked airflow by putting my hand in front of the grill and it doesn't seem to be flowing as much air as it used to. I don't notice the fan noise either. Are any of you servicing the clutch on a certain interval?
You might want to contact Joey at WitsEnd and see if he has anything to say about it. Mine is brand new and working great so I don't have any input.

I could actually use one of these but according to Joey's site they are not available currently.
They are available again. I bought one this week.

We modify a brand new clutch and that clutch has a 1 year warranty. I have seen a couple of clutches get weak over time one of them was my personal clutch. What I saw with mine was a change in the bi-metal temperature spring which altered the opening temperature to a point that the clutch lost some of its ability. I eventually replaced that clutch and the replacement has been fine and lasted much longer than the first one.

clutches have always been available but there have been a few times where the supply was in route and there were a few days wait.

I only use a single brand of oil and that can also be a problem as that supply chain was geared around the hobby industry not modifying hundreds of fan clutches.

I changed the fluid in my blue fan clutch over the last two days. Great write up @landtank -thnx. What i was told is that silicone diff oil is hard to source as of lately, per my local hobby shops. Not sure why but worth mentioning.

Two benefits besides the intended goal of reducing engine temps: 1. It sounds awesome. You can hear the air moving when you rev it and I love that noise. 2. AC temps. By dropping the engine temps, my AC runs cooler than it ever has which is a huge plus for me as I had done everything else possible to get cold AC. Makes me happy every time I start the engine.

I need to replace my fan clutch, and after reading through this thread I went to absolute-wits-end, however didn't see their modified units for sale anymore.

When I purchased my current 80, it came with a brand new fan clutch that was purchased from Cruiser Outfitters:

Fan Clutch - Fits 1993 - 1997 FJ/FZJ8x Applications - Heavy Duty Blue Hub (FAN66010) - https://cruiserteq.com/fan-clutch-fits-1993-1997-fj-fzj8x-applications-heavy-duty-blue-hub-fan66010/

I just spoke to them, and asked about the word "Heavy Duty" used in the description (as I thought it may be an OEM unit that was modified). They said it is NOT modified and that's typically used in hotter parts of the world... different from the one that comes from the factory in the US. However, he couldn't tell me what weight of oil was used. If I install this fan, do I still need to replace the oil with a thicker one (10-15k)?

@Lankan , Landtank sells his products directly now, not through Wits End

I need to replace my fan clutch, and after reading through this thread I went to absolute-wits-end, however didn't see their modified units for sale anymore.

When I purchased my current 80, it came with a brand new fan clutch that was purchased from Cruiser Outfitters:

Fan Clutch - Fits 1993 - 1997 FJ/FZJ8x Applications - Heavy Duty Blue Hub (FAN66010) - https://cruiserteq.com/fan-clutch-fits-1993-1997-fj-fzj8x-applications-heavy-duty-blue-hub-fan66010/

I just spoke to them, and asked about the word "Heavy Duty" used in the description (as I thought it may be an OEM unit that was modified). They said it is NOT modified and that's typically used in hotter parts of the world... different from the one that comes from the factory in the US. However, he couldn't tell me what weight of oil was used. If I install this fan, do I still need to replace the oil with a thicker one (10-15k)?
What causes you to think your fan clutch needs replaced or modified?

Easy enough to open it up and put heavier oil if needed. Get it and try it out first and go from there

@Lankan , Landtank sells his products directly now, not through Wits End

Thank you for the info!

What causes you to think your fan clutch needs replaced or modified?
Was fully loaded with weight... 5 adults, 1 kid, 2 small dogs, luggage, and a hitch rack. It was also @95 degrees outside when I started a steep climb up to Big Bear, CA from the San Bernardino area. The AC had been serviced @2 years ago with a new compressor and everything that goes along with it. Even before the climb the AC wasn't blowing cold whenever there was traffic... only relatively cool over @50mph and the temperature on the scan gauge was @195 on the flat highway. When climbing it got all the way to 220* at point which the AC shuts off on it's own (only the blower motor working). I can see that the existing fan clutch is leaking as there's moisture/dust around the shaft.

Easy enough to open it up and put heavier oil if needed. Get it and try it out first and go from there
That's what I was thinking would be best... install the brand new one I have and check the improvement first. Just didn't want to do the job twice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom