Wits' End Accessory Mounting Quarter Panel- need input

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

UPDATE: 6-22-2017
Okie dokie folks, I don't have 100% of the details worked out because I had a last minute idea I want to try and include. But I have enough info to set a price and start production within the next week or so. The new metal shop I've been working with has brought up a couple of interesting things that will make my life easier but nudges the price a little. The price is based on what is currently available on the market...which never gave me the warm fuzzies.

But I'm releasing the product for those that want their place in line now. Because of the cost of the metal work I can't really afford a typical run so I will need to rely on the pre-orders to help make sure this gets paid for. Once this starts actually shipping then the price will go up. :flipoff2:

Do it up! Lets see who the fence sitters are and who are the party poodles ;)

Quarter Panel Mount, 80 Series- right

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah yeah yeah, yet another thing to occupy my time. But in order for me to finally complete the D-Pillar Mount I needed to KNOW what I was going to do with this because I didn't want to try and shoe-horn in so many things into the D-Panel Mount when I could just mount it on this panel instead.

I am trying to absolutely maximize the space in the passenger side quarter panel behind the plastic panel. This MIGHT mean two pieces that get bolted together (upper and lower) but I'll work that out. The intent is to have the panel be as close to the truck's qrtr panel as possible but still allowing room for condensation and accessory mounting hardware. I'm also going to be applying a patch of mass-loaded vinyl or iso-butyl rubber to keep vibrations to nil.

I will have as an option, a 1/4" insert of birch for mounting small accessories that just need some bite into the wood. Anything heavy like an amp and/or inverter should be drilled all the way thru and be mounted with nuts/bolts. There will be two shelves to mount something like a battery pack or motorcycle battery. All edges will have edge protection. This could be used to mount tools and not electronics, sky is the limit.

But I'd love to hear from you folks about anything I'm missing that would be ideal to have be part of it. Should it have slits for running velcro straps? Should it have DOT snaps? Should it have holes for running wires through? Etc etc. I'm curious to hear all of your thoughts and I will work to integrate whatever I can before I put this into production.

Once this is done, I can finish up the D-Pillar Mount because THEN I will know what the majority of the limitations and needs would be.

BTW, I really don't care about woofers and subs and boom boom and all that nonsense. That being said, a shallow enclosed box can be mounted to this.
Wits-End-Quarter-Panel1.png
Wits-End-Quarter-Panel2.png

Last edited:
Will the OEM plastic panel remain in its original location, concealing this? So, this is for stuff one is not expected to access often? I can't tell if you're suggesting this is to use in lieu of the original plastic panel. I'd be open to that idea, too. The best design might be one which is sufficiently good looking that half your customers want to ditch the plastic panel. That might make the market greater. I, for one, am not wed to having the plastic paneling and if yours were a decent looking alternative I'd happily leave it in sight for greater access to the things mounted there.
Lookin' good, Joey!
Your wife is a saint.

Yeah I've purposely changed the depth to fit the vast majority of Viairs and the ARB twin. Btw, why the chrome? You want the bling? :rainbow:
OK. Put me down for one of the first units, I'm in. As long as I can fit a Viair and a small Blue Sea fuse box I'm a buyer. Chrome FTW! I'm thinking of chroming my sliders and front bumper as well. I wonder if I can get a 50" LED lightbar in chrome?

Golgo13

SILVER Star
Keep it as blank as possible and let people customize it themselves. If you put attachments for all the things, the cost goes up for people who want something like this but don't know what they want to do with it yet...

Or, add a locking door and it becomes a handy spot for valuables out of sight.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Keep it as blank as possible and let people customize it themselves. If you put attachments for all the things, the cost goes up for people who want something like this but don't know what they want to do with it yet...

Or, add a locking door and it becomes a handy spot for valuables out of sight.
It'll be blank for the most part but I want to make sure that obvious stuff is taken care of. For example, a VIAIR compressor makes the most sense at the bottom platform so I would have all of the mounting holes pre-cut to make life easier. I would do the same for the ARB twin mounting but just make the holes in the metal. Stuff like that. I don't want to go too nuts otherwise.

Door? I need to think about it. I may be working with someone else on something ;)

I would want a door so I could do this (solar, accessory wiring, etc.) and have it out of sight but easy access for service when I needed to get at it. No need to have a hinged door, just a removable access cover (similar to the jack storage on the other side). I also would want expensive looking electronic "goodies" out of sight from prying eyes. Stealth is always good :).

Photo courtesy of @Dissent

upload_2017-1-30_16-51-38.png

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

@mingles yeah @Dissent shot me over his thoughts on it when I showed my idea to him a few days ago. He was in the thick of it so wanted his feedback.

As for access, this will be hidden behind the plastic cargo panel. There is a cubby with a door built into the plastic panel. That cubby is held in place with plastic rivets, those just get snipped off and now you have direct access to the area behind it. I will be adding a "score mark" on the metal panel and possibly the wood so that, as you layout and assemble your particular configuration, you will have a clear idea of where you will have easy access through that panel. The stuff you MUST have access to (fuses, switches, breakers) should be in that "zone". everything else just put where you must.

dogfishlake

Go on a living spree
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

This is winter two of putting off my interior redo and I am running out of winter for this year. If you make this product, I would be wise to put off the project til all options are considered, right?

Alway good to justify ones actions.... or inaction.
Yeah there isn't much to this piece. I just wanted to get as much feedback as possible before I start cutting, in case I missed something that could be handy to you folks. I will be giving the full dimensions of the wood inlay so that A) you can make it out of some other material if you wanted such as ABS and B) so that you can print out a 1:1 scale drawing of the PDF I supply and that way you can do all of your planning literally on paper before you make wild assumptions.

The dimensions and PDF will help you lay out all the pieces you've been gathering to figure out how best to Tetrisize it all :p

I have already taken up that space with some custom cut aluminum mounting panels for my amp and supplemental wiring. If not I would be in for one! Looks like another nice product.

Top Bottom