With the shortage of fusible links... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even though there hundreds of thousands of 80 series out there with FIs with no issues
You need to modify them, just ask Dave and he will tell you you comprehension skills are not up to date.

That if you modify you brakes you will kill a bus load of nuns.

And if you don’t carry enough tools to work on every Rig on the trail your a bad person that doesn’t return the stool to it spot when your done with it.

Cheers
Carry on Folks

I did not know you had access to the world non FL failed database, of course it could be a guess on your part? The fact that this thread and many others related to the FL's (not just on this site), seems to indicate that perhaps there possibly an issue to be dealt with, of course I could be wrong?

And now the brakes, no I am not sure I said that?

I may have said you need to make sure the stock system is up to snuff?
I may have said that checking brake pressure with calibrated gauges when fitting/adjusting the LSPV?
I may have said that it would be advisable to contact and advise your insurance company so that you are covered....you know in case your example of a bus load of nuns just happens to be about.

And of course I did not say you had to carry enough tools to fix every rig on the trail. I might have said I carry a full set of tools to cover most eventualities on my own vehicle, but there is no way I am going to strip down a socket set and pick and choose just the tools to suit my vehicle and say **** to everyone else, if there is a socket that does not fit my vehicle and is in the set and helps another person I am going to loan it out, I see nothing wrong with that in anyway whatsoever. Perhaps the mechanic in me is just so OTT and I like to be able to help people out? But in my defense I am built like that from the factory, but at the opposite end of the spectrum are those people that don't think like that, they are often seen running home with their ball because someone does not agree with their another persons thoughts, regardless if they are factual, helpful or otherwise, strangely enough you will find many on forums such as this.

Regards

Dave

My experience with fusible links is that they are not likely to fail unless there is a fault in the electrical system. I’ve seen that once with someone else’s truck on a trail run. He had a bad engine harness.

Your experience is that they have failed on many trucks but not yours. But that wasn’t clear to me initially and you didn’t seem to like that I asked you about it.

I can’t remember saying anything against you modifying your fuse box. But if you would be so kind to quote my passages where I did I would appreciate that.

Jeez I am getting bored trying to explain to you, but I will try just one more time. The failures I am seeing are not just from electrical faults, invariably they can be seen from the battery not being secured putting tension on the FL's, the battery retaining equipment can fail on the 80....no wait, that cannot be so.....but it seems there is a problem here as well, in fact a member here on MUD actually sells a product to prevent that problem making the battery more secure, of course he is unlikely to be stupid I mean he would not market such a product for the one person would he? Which brings me to the reason for this thread and the same on other sites, and a member actually making and selling FL's perhaps he is just appeasing the two or three failures as well....or perhaps there is a problem with them?

Re you not remembering about saying anything about modifying my fuse box? Not so sure I said that, what I did say (if you took the time to read my post properly instead of rushing to the keyboard hoping to tap out a quick reply making your somewhat weak and off point replies look well....... wrong?. I mentioned I replaced them (FL's) as I had fitted a fuse box for other extras for example for the fridge in the rear of the 80 that I need, it was a simple and convenient thing to do, I also pointed out that I researched the correct amperage to replace the FL's, this brings me to your last comment about finding your quote, well here it is, it was something like 'modifying a fuse box tells me you know nothing about electrics?' I am not going to go back through pages but I just know you needed to add something in an effort to bolster up your efforts to make it appear that I had no idea what I was talking about....wrong again.

So, in a nutshell:

I have replaced many FL's here in Spain, perhaps due to the off road conditions and the fact that they are used all the time to cut between towns , unsure if you have police often doing check points at three or four roundabouts in a row, but here we do, and if you have the car to do it then yes most use the tracks and dried out river beds, so I have seen failures and this thread has been made (not by me) and on many other sites/forums, common problem perhaps? As an asides, some have mentioned about there being a shortage of FL's, I have never found them being a problem to get in fact, they are always in stock at the Toyota dealer when brake pads, track rod ends, and other miscellaneous parts are not...........funny that.

I did fit a fuse box to protect other extra's and used the opportunity to replace the FL's at the same time, someone tell me where there is a problem with that, and how this demonstrates my lack of electrical skills.

So unless you and @Broski (I assume you have read his recent post) have finished making yourselves look stupid I think I have made it clear?

Despite me making everything as clear as possible, I feel am not getting anything achieved by trying to help anyone with my factual posts in his thread, so I will call it done. It is not a case of 'giving up', more a case of trying to explain the same things over and over but with different words, and despite there being facts to hand it seems just some just don't quite get it, perhaps it is me, sometimes I am often found to be using words with more than one syllable.

Regards

Dave

I did not know you had access to the world non FL failed database, of course it could be a guess on your part? The fact that this thread and many others related to the FL's (not just on this site), seems to indicate that perhaps there possibly an issue to be dealt with, of course I could be wrong?

And now the brakes, no I am not sure I said that?

I may have said you need to make sure the stock system is up to snuff?
I may have said that checking brake pressure with calibrated gauges when fitting/adjusting the LSPV?
I may have said that it would be advisable to contact and advise your insurance company so that you are covered....you know in case your example of a bus load of nuns just happens to be about.

And of course I did not say you had to carry enough tools to fix every rig on the trail. I might have said I carry a full set of tools to cover most eventualities on my own vehicle, but there is no way I am going to strip down a socket set and pick and choose just the tools to suit my vehicle and say **** to everyone else, if there is a socket that does not fit my vehicle and is in the set and helps another person I am going to loan it out, I see nothing wrong with that in anyway whatsoever. Perhaps the mechanic in me is just so OTT and I like to be able to help people out? But in my defense I am built like that from the factory, but at the opposite end of the spectrum are those people that don't think like that, they are often seen running home with their ball because someone does not agree with their another persons thoughts, regardless if they are factual, helpful or otherwise, strangely enough you will find many on forums such as this.

Regards

Dave
Dave:

@Broski 's post was entirely sarcasm. He was combining information from multiple threads (that you may have missed in your absence) about thing that folks were bagging on him about.

I hope the TBI has not caused a loss of humor as well, as it frequently can.

Prayers for healing!

Just let @landtank be. He's egging you on like there's no tomorrow.

With any luck, no more busloads of Nuns and Kindergartners will be stranded, broken down, or killed due to faulty FL's or soft brakes, but someone here will have enough tools in their rig to get the bus back on track!

"Hmm, why are there 10 pages on a thread about fusible links? Oh, Dave's here."

l8qaZRn.gif

are these applicable to 70 series 24 volt 3b engine

no , there not

but PM me your tech pics of your current set up or post them here and TAG me ,

and i can KUSTOM hand craft you up your needed fusible links set up

thanks
matt

Last edited:
So... If I'm reading all this properly, there is actually no shortage of fusible links.

Good to know.

:lol:

no , there not

but PM me your tech pics of your current set up or post them here and TEG me , and i can KUSTOM hand craft you up your needed fusible links set up

thanks
matt

I think I have an old 3B fusible link from my BJ75. If I have it, I would be happy to mail it to you so you can recreate it. It's nothing complicated, but sometimes it's nice to have the original in hand for building a new one. Let me know if that would be helpful.

I think I have an old 3B fusible link from my BJ75. If I have it, I would be happy to mail it to you so you can recreate it. It's nothing complicated, but sometimes it's nice to have the original in hand for building a new one. Let me know if that would be helpful.

thank your the opportunity to assist you here on this topic

- Please PM me to make those arraignments ,

- posting photos first may be all i need , because EVERY single fusible links i have hand crafted from scratch , i have made at least 1 or more additional to keep
strictly as a usable reference JIG in my Laboratory

- so knowing the OEM part # now in advance , or if a mystery , i WILL crack its code for sure there with a positive ID and assign it the correct OEM part number

- Bag It , Tag It , and it stays at the SKUNKS-WORKS to simply help others down the road in the future .

- NOTE : ANYONES original Specimen Parts loaned to me for Reproduktion References WILL always be returned to them in-tact and un-harmed in any way shape or form ,

that's how i ROLL ...... :)

Last edited:
thank your the opportunity to assist you here on this topic

- Please PM me to make those arraignments ,

- posting photos first may be all i need , because EVERY single fusible links i have hand crafted from scratch , i have made at least 1 or more additional to keep strictly

as a usable reference JIG in my Laboratory

- so knowing the OEM part # now in advance , or if a mystery , i WILL crack its code for sure there with a positive ID and assign it the correct OEM part number

- Bag It , Tag It , and it stays at the SKUNKS-WORKS to simply help others down the road in the future .

- NOTE : ANYONES original Specimen Parts loaned to me for Reproduktion References WILL always be returned to them in-tact and un-harmed in any way shape or form ,

that's how i ROLL ...... :)
I will try to post pics in the near future..... thanks

are these applicable to 70 series 24 volt 3b engine

When the 3B fusible link was bad on my troopy I used 90982-08236 (available overseas or through @cruiseroutfit) It's for a 1Hz, but should be fine for protecting your wiring. Some one with more knowledge can chime in if I'm mistaken, but I don't think the size of the wiring that the FL is protecting is different between older and newer diesel series. Using the newer FL required some modifications but nothing difficult.

What I did can be found here and in subsequent posts:

I found my old 3b FL and will send a PM to @ToyotaMatt

Last edited:
When the 3B fusible link was bad on my troopy I used 90982-08236 (available overseas or through @cruiseroutfit) It's for a 1Hz, but should be fine for protecting your wiring. Some one with more knowledge can chime in if I'm mistaken, but I don't think the size of the wiring that the FL is protecting is different between older and newer diesel series. Using the newer FL required some modifications but nothing difficult.

What I did can be found here and in subsequent posts:

I found my old 3b FL and will send a PM to @ToyotaMatt

The 08236 for reference:

We stock a half dozen different US, JDM, Global OEM fusible links fwiw. This is another common 7x diesel option:

(None of this applies to the common 80 Series :D)

I sell the kits made by qc motor sports.

It's nice to be able to swap a fuse rather then replace a part.

It also cleans up the battery terminal.

I sell the kits made by qc motor sports.

It's nice to be able to swap a fuse rather then replace a part.

It also cleans up the battery terminal.

what are the main differences between actual Toyota fusible links wire and the actual Eaton-Bussman MIDI fuses that your kit supplies extra ones of ?

i am not familiar with this topic and its intriguing , ....

what are the main differences between actual Toyota fusible links wire and the actual Eaton-Bussman MIDI fuses that your kit supplies extra ones of ?

i am not familiar with this topic and its intriguing , ....

About a $160 dollars and more clutter under the hood😉

Sorry I’m on the kiss side of the fence
Keep it simple stupid

About a $160 dollars and more clutter under the hood😉

Sorry I’m on the kiss side of the fence
Keep it simple stupid

from your point of view , what exactly is the KISS side if the fence 🤔

- not sure if i follow you here ?

- oem Toyota genuine parts fusible links

- or

- Eaton-Bussman MIDI fuses

from your point of view , what exactly is the KISS side if the fence 🤔

- not sure if i follow you here ?

- oem Toyota genuine parts fusible links

- or

- Eaton-Bussman MIDI fuses
The way I see it the youngest 80 is now 25 years old.
Like everything else on these trucks the FLs are starting to age and some need replacing
The one that were well cared for are still going strong.
A better hold down helps a lot and should be done anyway as the original design is in inadequate and dangerous.
The @LandCruiserPhil (LCP.com ) battery hold down kit is a perfect solution as it addresses the battery hold down and moves the FL mounting point to the back of the battery box.
So no matter how many times you disconnect, remove or replace the battery the FL don’t get touched it also relieves any strain on them.
The battery hold down is a needed upgrade anyway then add a new FL (under $20 ) put the good working one in your spares or glove box and you should be good to go for another 20+ years.

For me this falls under the kiss plan.

KISS plan = keep it simple stupid.

My set 😉

AF21CB13-3CF2-468C-8E2C-6DE5B552AA50.jpeg

3323527F-7E6F-430C-9566-B27D2287D651.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom